Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite, W. Granite, 'Red 2' - 11/01/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSat Nov 01, 2008 9:35 pm 
Not feeling major ill effects from the previous evening's Halloween bash I had thought just to do Tiger Mtn. in the rain. But in the morning it wasn't raining and the clouds were gray but high, so I decided Granite Mtn. would be more of an outing. I was surprised to see only 1 vehicle in the lot at 9:00am. It was an SPU van and I wondered if it was the same 'hiking class' we had met 2 weeks ago on Vesper. I also realized that my Recreation Pass had expired 2 months ago...oops. I passed the SPU group at the small tarn below the summit, where they had stopped for a snack. The summit was quite windy but the weather was still dry so I decided to extend the trip and retrace the snowshoe route Brewmaster and I had done over W. Granite and 'Red 2'. There are no technical issues on the route, but it's slow going on the rocks, which were wet and slippery coming off the Granite summit. The rocks near W. Granite were drier, but the wind was stiffer and interfered with balance. Although I had reached the lookout in an hour and 45 min, it took over an hour to get over W. Granite and down the ridge to 'Red 2'. The way down from 'Red 2' was easier. There was brush lower down but since it points downhill it's not so much of an obstacle. I came out onto the Pratt Lk. trail and made good time back to the car with just a few light sprinkles starting. It must be close to the winter season - on the way up the wilderness register was still at the trailhead, but it was gone when I got back...and I had no ticket. smile.gif Not sure the distance - maybe ~9 miles, ~4500', and 4 1/2 hours for the loop. Left the camera at home because I wasn't expecting a hike with a view.

pithy yet insightful signature
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 2:47 pm 
Middle E wrote:
Left the camera at home because I wasn't expecting a hike with a view.
nono.gif You need to have a talk with Quark, she'll change your mind!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 8:13 pm 
The weather Saturday did turn out to be pleasant but no camera - how could you!

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife