Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eightmile Mountain (7,996') - September 20, 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:40 am 
Randy, Mike Collins, Justus_S, and myself converged at the Bothell P&R on Saturday morning for a quick jaunt up Eightmile Mountain. Randy was to be climbing Jack Ridge (a Backcourt List peak), while Mike, Justus and I were to be climbing Eightmile Mountain (a Top 200 peak which Randy had already climbed). These two hikes share the same approach up until the point where you cut uphill to Eightmile. Arriving at the TH, the weather was cool and overcast, but the skies weren't threatening. We left the cars at 8:00 and made quick work of the 3.6 mile trail, arriving at the E end of Eightmile Lake at 8:50. Here we took a short beak to refuel. After a little food and water, we traversed around the N side of Eightmile Lake on good, but undulating trail, passing a few tents on the way to the lake's inlet. At the inlet, we all said our goodbyes, and Randy was on his way over to Jack Ridge, 1.25 miles to the W of Eightmile Mountain. Mike gave Randy a walkie talkie so we could be in contact on the summit. Mike, Justus and I cut uphill about 1/3 mile beyond the lake, at the W edge of the avalanche swath, aiming for the path of least resistance. Thankfully we didn't see much brush, the worst of which was the windfall encountered low on the route, on our way up from the forest floor. The brush can get thick in there, but 90% of it can be avoided by walking up moderately steep slabs or sandy ledges/gullies between slabs. We topped out at 11:40, at which point we could see Randy also just getting to the summit of Jack Ridge. We yelled back and forth at each other, and Mike contacted him via radio. We told him we'd meet him back at the inlet. It started to get windy on the summmit, and soon we were layering up. After 30 minutes of relaxing on the huge Eightmile summit (no register found), we began our descent. We descended the ascent route, and it worked nicely, delivering us to the valley floor one hour and 3000' later. Upon reaching the inlet, we got some water from the creek, at which time we heard some thrashing in the woods behind us. It was Randy. Now a group again, we began the march out to the TH. On the hike out it started to sprinkle on us, but never got too crazy. We did not get wet all day. We returned to the TH at 3:15, 7 hours and 15 minutes after we started. We all drove down to Gustav's and had some good food and beverages before we made our way back home. Eightmile Mountain isn't very interesting this time of year, but would be a great ski destination as Randy pointed out. Still it was another great trip out in the mountains with friends. Justus and Randy took photos. Trip stats: -13 miles -4900' gain -7.25 hours RT -30 minutes summit time

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 10:21 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Randy, Mike Collins, Justus_S, and myself converged at the Bothell P&R on Saturday morning for a quick jaunt up Eightmile Mountain. . Eightmile Mountain isn't very interesting this time of year, but would be a great ski destination as Randy pointed out. Still it was another great trip out in the mountains with friends.
Yeah you sure are right, I've been looking at those opportunities for years and still haven't gotten there! Ski trip this Winter/Spring anyone? J

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 10:25 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
We left the cars at 8:00 and made quick work of the 3.6 mile trail, arriving at the E end of Eightmile Lake at 8:50.
lol.gif I don't think I can RUN up the trail that fast. Thanks for the TR, Tom. ETA: John Morrow - yes, that looks like a lovely ski trip destination! If I learn how to ski by next spring, that is... embarassedlaugh.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 11:05 am 
Thanks for writing up the TR, Tom. Getting out with Sjolseth, Smitchger, and Collins is always a good time! All laughs and fun. My favorite line of the day was Mike's version of the 10 essentials. Hilarious. A couple notes on Jack Ridge: After parting ways with the others, I walked another 15-20 minutes along the valley floor without gaining much elevation. Having only a map, I wasn't able to navigate with absolute precision while in the trees, but no matter. After I turned straight up hill, I used Point 7993' (up and to the right) and the ridge line on the opposite side of the valley to deduce my elevation and general position. Somewhere around 7000' things opened up and I could see my summit. I never encountered anything more than easy class 2 to this point. Some brush and talus, but no big deal. The next 700' were up sand and big granite blocks. The last 100' I went up fun class 3/4 granite, but this was avoidable further to the left. It took 3.75 hours to reach the summit from the car. I had all but forgotten about the Jack Ridge fire, but was rudely reminded that it was still smoking strong with the taste of smoke on my tongue. The summit was a rather disgusting place to hang out with billowing smoke coming up from the valley directly below me. I stayed maybe 15-20 minutes, just long enough to browse the register and confirm descent plans with the dudes on 8-Mile. As Tom stated, sometimes the best thing about trips like this is crossing them off your list!
Views on the Ascent
Views on the Ascent
Collins-Smitchger
Collins-Smitchger
Stefano!
Stefano!
Tom and Justus on 8-Mile
Tom and Justus on 8-Mile
Wesss-Side
Wesss-Side
Smoke From the Valley to Lungs
Smoke From the Valley to Lungs
Jack Ridge Engulfed
Jack Ridge Engulfed
8-Mile in the Haze
8-Mile in the Haze
Stuart From Jack Ridge
Stuart From Jack Ridge
Hawkins
Hawkins
Pond, Pebbles, and Plumes
Pond, Pebbles, and Plumes
Stuart From Descent
Stuart From Descent
Jack Ridge High Point From Ascent
Jack Ridge High Point From Ascent
Valley Floor
Valley Floor

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 1:39 pm 
Another fine trip with the gang. Summary with pics. We hiked to the lake then around it. Hike up valley to just west of the big avalanche path off Eightmile. We stayed to the west of the brushy area where the terrain was pleasantly less brushy, if that makes sense.
Mike maneuvering up a slab
Mike maneuvering up a slab
Tom hopping boulders
Tom hopping boulders
It was nice when we made it above the trees where there where some views.
Views opening
Views opening
Another view of the lake
Another view of the lake
We hiked past the little hole at 6400, not really a hole.
the 6400 hole
the 6400 hole
The terrain was more open after that, and we began to get some nicer views of Stuart.
Tom hiking up slope
Tom hiking up slope
Stuart Range comes into view
Stuart Range comes into view
bouldery terrain to the summit
bouldery terrain to the summit
Mike making his way up the boulder fields
Mike making his way up the boulder fields
We were glad to be on top.
Tom happy to be on the summit boulder
Tom happy to be on the summit boulder
We then looked over toward where Randy was headed and were surprised to see he had made it as quickly as we did.
Looking at the ridge to Jack
Looking at the ridge to Jack
Randy on Jack's summit
Randy on Jack's summit
I took some pics from the summit plateau.
Eightmile Lake from Eightmile
Eightmile Lake from Eightmile
Cashmere
Cashmere
smoke rising on Jack Ridge
smoke rising on Jack Ridge
Trout Lake
Trout Lake
Mike on the summit plateau
Mike on the summit plateau
Stuart and smoke
Stuart and smoke
We headed down and stopped at the lake for a bit before the hike out.
Tom working his way down
Tom working his way down
Eightmile Lake and Peak
Eightmile Lake and Peak

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 4:07 pm 
J morrow wrote: Ski trip this Winter/Spring anyone? I'd be down. I live in leav, Pm me this winter when you get serious bro.

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 6:38 pm 
Great trip report. Eightmile looks very tempting. up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 6:47 pm 
up.gif Nice summit and views, especially when done in The Spring, the cooler temps, crisp views, and walking on top of those boulders, I never knew there were boulders there. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Andy D.

Andy D.
PostMon Sep 22, 2008 8:47 am 
Nice work fellas! Looks like a fun trip! Great pictures. up.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Sep 22, 2008 11:02 am 
John Morrow wrote:
Ski trip this Winter/Spring anyone? J
I'm game. Keep me in the loop.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Sep 22, 2008 3:09 pm 
I'd ski some stuff in there, John. Keep me in the loop as well. up.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 23, 2008 9:10 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I'd ski some stuff in there, John, but probably would not repeat Eightmile. Keep me in the loop as well. up.gif
Okay. How about a ski circumnavigation of Cashmere next spring?

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Sep 23, 2008 9:24 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
I'd ski some stuff in there, John, but probably would not repeat Eightmile. Keep me in the loop as well. :up:
Okay. How about a ski circumnavigation of Cashmere next spring?
Yeah gents, Powder on the north sides, corn on the south! Count me in. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.