Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Borah (Idaho) - 9.16.2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSat Sep 20, 2008 1:49 pm 
At 12,662 feet, Mt. Borah is located in the Lost River Range and is the highest point in Idaho… where reaching the summit requires some Class 3 climbing… the majority of which is found near or on the appropriately named Chicken-Out-Ridge. Knowing that we were going to get a very early start on this climb, we drove to the trailhead the day before our climb to get a look at the target and see if we could get some trip information from people who had already done the climb. Having read that snow can linger in the Chicken-Out-Ridge area, we wanted to know if it would be necessary to carry our ice axes. A climber from Pennsylvania told us that an ice ax was not necessary. The trailhead is located at ~7200 feet… where we started hiking by moonlight at 5:30 a.m… reaching Point 10632 in 2.5 hours after hiking ~2.6 miles on good trail… then continued to ~11,400’ as the trail became more faint… eventually moving to the knife-edge ridge and some Class 3 climbing up to ~11,600… where we found a black rock formation that proved to be the crux of the climb for us. After eventually finding an acceptable (but not the best) solution to getting around the black rock formation, the rest of the climb was uneventful… following good path on the west side of Chicken-Out-Ridge to the flat area between Borah and C-O-R… then finishing the last 800 feet of elevation up to the Mt. Borah summit (12,662’) on reasonable path. It took us 5 hours 30 minutes (including a 30 minute waste of time at the black rock formation) to hike/climb the 4.1 miles to the summit… gaining 5662 feet of elevation. Excellent views from the summit of the Lost River Range and the distant Sawtooth Range. After spending an hour on the summit, we returned via the same route we used on the way up… with one exception… we found the best solution in dealing with the black rock formation… reaching the car in 3 hours 45 minutes. Photos of our hike/climb to Mt. Borah Trailhead Access: Drive US 93 fourteen miles north of Mackay to the signed turnoff for Mt. Borah… then drive a dirt road ~3 miles to the end of the road. Many thanks to Dan Robbins and his idahosummits.com website for the trip information on this climb. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Sep 20, 2008 2:49 pm 
Great job guys up.gif up.gif I made it to "Chicken Out Ridge when I was 15 years old. Maybe someday I'll get back there.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Sep 20, 2008 3:08 pm 
What a great accomplishment and neat looking scramble/climb, gents! That is one high and out there mountain range. Pretty grand! Got to get there someday. Thanks for the great description. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
don b

don b
PostSat Sep 20, 2008 4:00 pm 
In your picture of the last 800' my daughter and I scrambled up the skyline on the right. Fun, easy and firm. It made for a nice round trip as the trail is a bit messy. We really enjoyed the trip.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 10:57 am 
Excellent trip report, sort of above the tree line there; and while I have you, an additional thanks for your report on Hibox, the map and pictures were very helpful.

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 5:34 pm 
OK, the picture of you guys with the Idaho State Flag is really cool! What's with the GPS track? Was Ragman taking shots only once every 15 minutes?

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 6:04 pm 
Good Job and Great TR and photos!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 6:09 pm 
SAS... glad the photos and GPS route were helpful on doing HiBox... sounds like there was a lot of controversy on HiBox last week... when rodman and I first did HiBox 3 years ago, we used Tom's trip report for the beta. Mtn Dog... rodman is the GPS guy and he wasn't on the trip... so I just tried to show our "general route"... perhaps I should have explained it a little better.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 7:52 pm 
I forgot it was Rodman with the GPSr, your track makes a lot more sense now. With an open sky for much of this hike you would have had a really clear signal and good accuracy; but on the sunny and clear day you had you also did fine without it.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostSun Sep 21, 2008 9:12 pm 
Thanks, for the report and pictures, such a barren landscape. I wouldn't mind a trip up that peak in the future.