Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oct. 21, 2006 Copper Point 7840' and Wallaby Peak 7995'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Sep 20, 2008 1:58 pm 
Why this archival report???? 1) Well, I am holed up with a swollen jaw from dental implant surgery and tissue grafting. The doctor has me on a mandatory "low strenuous movement" prescription until the stitches heal and the swelling goes down. I look like a chipmunk on an autumn foraging run. 2) Thought that someone might be interested in a fun fall color scrambling idea. 3) My head hurts too much to read, the porch is chilly, no baseball on TV…i.e. I am a bit bored. I parked at the Hwy. 20 hairpin turn. A climber's path proceeds to the saddle at the back of the valley on the west side of Wallaby Peak.
IMG_1724
IMG_1724
From here I went w/sw on more tread and scree to the saddle north of the Copper Peak summit.
Wallaby from Copper saddle
Wallaby from Copper saddle
Then I traversed the basin to the steep headwall below the west slope of Copper. This wall has a fun and solid class 3 blocky face that was more dicey than that due to snow holding on the north side ledges.
looking up at the north face class 3 blocks
looking up at the north face class 3 blocks
Looking down those same blocks with some slick snow
Looking down those same blocks with some slick snow
The blocky north face entrance to the sw slope
The blocky north face entrance to the sw slope
Once on the west slope it is a walk.
Want to go over there sometime and try doing all the Stiletto summits in a traverse!
Want to go over there sometime and try doing all the Stiletto summits in a traverse!
Lots of Benchmarks up around Hwy 20
Lots of Benchmarks up around Hwy 20
mandatory summit self timer shot
mandatory summit self timer shot
Wallaby from Copper showing sw ridge south gullies
Wallaby from Copper showing sw ridge south gullies
Note where you re enter the north side on the return. Back retracing my steps to the wallaby Saddle. Then up the southwest ridge of Wallaby until it steepens. Then a rising traverse out to the south gullies. I followed solid class 2/3 rock, adjacent to the gullies in order to better enjoy the climb to the summit.
Finding some fun scrambling rock on south side of Wallaby (camera on my ultrapod, so I set it up?)
Finding some fun scrambling rock on south side of Wallaby (camera on my ultrapod, so I set it up?)
Top O' Wallaby with Gilbert Mountain behind
Top O' Wallaby with Gilbert Mountain behind
Then back through the Wallaby saddle to the car.
shady return trail
shady return trail
Route
Route
All in all a great fall day trip outing.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
b00

b00
PostTue Sep 23, 2008 11:30 pm 
Re: [TR]Copper Peak 7840' and Wallaby Peak 7995' Oct. 21, 2006
John Morrow wrote:
Why this archival report???? ..
please keep 'em coming. your reports are valuable beta, or for the peaks i've already been up, a source of interest and great memories. thanks! :>)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message