Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thor Peak, Nimbus Mountain, K9 - 9/28/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 30, 2008 9:04 pm 
A trip report only a peakbagger could love. Smothered between a Saturday night party and mandatory cubicle time, I found myself with an unexpected window of free time on Sunday. With a last minute plan and a faint hangover, only the Backcourt would do. I left the Tunnel Creek TH at 10:45 AM and made my way easily to Hope Lake where I took a right on the PCT. After a mile or so I noticed a couple bears in a meadow to the right. First Cascade bear sighting of the year.
Bear1
Bear1
I kept going and going along the PCT, but the walk over to Trap Pass seemed to take forever. I passed a lot of people coming the other way, everyone looking pleased to be out in great September weather. Finally at trap Pass, I found the way trail heading south up onto the spectacular bench holding Thunder Mountain Lakes. I had last been here 7 years earlier and that trip resulted in a late-night train ride from the Surprise Lake TH into Skykomish. I checked to make sure I still had my keys and then focused on not repeating that experience. I worked along the open bench, past Nimbus, then down and back up again to the summit of Thor. Mostly easy class 2, but I did encounter 2 more bears in the meadows below the summit. The register was 21 years old and contained the names of 7 other NWHikers. For such a pain in the ass place to get to, it sure attracts some weird people. wink.gif
Thor
Thor
Thor Views
Thor Views
Nimbus from Thor
Nimbus from Thor
After 15 minutes, I headed back over towards Thunder Mountain Lakes. Nimbus was an easy ascent from a subtle pass north of the lakes. The true summit is a 5th class fin about 10' high. From the north, I made 2 moves until I was able to grab the top which was good enough for me. I friction-lowered myself back down which was harder than it looked from the bottom. Oh well, it worked.
TML
TML
Nimbus
Nimbus
After finally eating something, I headed off the summit area directly to the north down a steep gully. This worked well and saved a fair amount of time over working back towards the lakes. A couple parties were climbing Slippery Slab Tower as I passed by in the afternoon. Looked like a fairly fun climb that I'll have to come back and do one of these days.
Slippery Slab Tower
Slippery Slab Tower
Once back at Trap Pass, I made my way back along the PCT for about a mile. I went left up talus blocks and grass until gaining the west ridge of K9 (Point 6242'). The rest of the way was straight forward to the top on or near the ridge.
The Evening Lounge
The Evening Lounge
K9 Views
K9 Views
K9 Views. Thor at left, Nimbus and Sliipery Slab to the right.
K9 Views. Thor at left, Nimbus and Sliipery Slab to the right.
My descent from the top was to the SE down annoying cliffs and brush. I was rather dehydrated at this point so it was nice to make the PCT again. On my descent I saw yet another distant bear amongst the talus and grass to the east. It's almost like this area has a bear problem! I finally made my car at 6:45 PM just ahead of the groups that had been climbing Slippery Slab. Great day to be out. Numbers: 15 miles, 6300', 8 hours, 5 bears

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Sep 30, 2008 10:45 pm 
borank.gif borank.gif borank.gif Strong effort!

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 am 
lol.gif you and plain ol dan must have past each other. He was coming out that day. love that area up.gif

plain old dan

plain old dan
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 9:39 am 
Yup, I think we passed a little above Hope Lake... we met at a corner and barely had time for a hello. Darn! I missed seeing those bears. I was thinking what great bear country it was with all the open berry slopes.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 10:56 am 
Randy wrote:
For such a pain in the ass place to get to, it sure attracts some weird people. wink.gif
How perfect that you ended up there then! wink.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 4:51 pm 
Thanks for getting me to get motivated.

Art is an adventure.