Forum Index > Food & Grub > What's for Breakfast?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Sep 29, 2008 11:12 am 
I eat Baker Breakfast Cookies often. Or oatmeal doctored up with freeze dried fruit, coconut cream powder, natural coconut, ground up nuts, etc. Been known to eat a half size dinner as well. Or soup in the winter for warmth.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Sep 29, 2008 1:22 pm 
Go. Go. Go.
Hey, On frosty mornings it might be good to get stuff packed up and hit the trail for an hour, then eat. I did this on a 5-6 trip way back and it worked for us...mornings were quite cold and we wanted to get going...but that was a big mileage trip back when I could hack it. Tom

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 pm 
How about just a plain old granola bar? Easy, no boiling, good taste, and most importantly good energy. And it'll keep you regular.

none
drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 8:16 am 
Instant grits with spam............ Ditto the pack up and get moving on the cold mornings!

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 11:20 am 
I usually do oatmeal or cream of wheat - plain with my own mix of fruits and nuts. The pre-packaged stuff is too sweet for me. How about a tortilla with honey or peanut butter and some granola? Bagels and cream cheese (the single serving strawberry on blueberry bagels rocks)

O'Brannigan

O'Brannigan
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 3:01 pm 
Here's my thing The night before I leave on a hike I scramble up some eggs, I don't cook them. I pour them in a screw top bottle and freeze them. The next morning I throw the bottle in my pack and go hiking. The next morning I have fresh scrambled eggs while all me cohorts are eating crappy instant oatmeal.

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders- Ted Nugent
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 11:19 pm 
Thanks for all the replies, even the ones mentioning gag.gif oatmeal. And oatmeal with coconut??? hurl.gif Guess I'm just too picky. tongue.gif O'Brannigan, that's a great idea for the first morning, but what about the 4th, 5th, or 6th?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 4:37 am 
Everything Bagel from Safeway with cheese and/or sausage the first couple of mornings. Bulky to pack, but yum oh-so-satisfying. Pro Bars, Clif Bars & the like for the rest Any leftover cheese wheel by itself for a change after the bars for sure.

O'Brannigan

O'Brannigan
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 6:50 am 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, even the ones mentioning gag.gif oatmeal. And oatmeal with coconut??? hurl.gif Guess I'm just too picky. tongue.gif O'Brannigan, that's a great idea for the first morning, but what about the 4th, 5th, or 6th?
Man, I go way out of my way to pack whatever fresh food I can just to avoid all that sodium loaded freeze dried stuff. Even if it weighs my pack down a little, It's worth it to me. As an example, I was out last weekend. First morning was fresh eggs (I sooooo love eggs!!). Second morning Was a pre-cooked kielbasa/sausage thing with some colby jack cheese (pre-cooked sausage thing keeps for a few days). Third day I packed a half a ziplock bag of bisquick (with bisquick you don't need milk or eggs), pour water strait into the bisquick bag, zip it and need the bag until your batter is mixed. As luck would have it I had a handy hucklberry bush so I added those into the mix and boom you got three or four huckleberry pancakes. After that, sorry man but I resort to maple and brown sugar oatmeal mixed with maple and brown sugar cream o' wheat. Kat has a great idea with the begals, thats a typical lunch idea that I stick with.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 7:32 am 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, even the ones mentioning gag.gif oatmeal. And oatmeal with coconut??? hurl.gif Guess I'm just too picky. tongue.gif
I am going to guess you have never encountered coconut cream powder? If you had you wouldn't be whining about it. It is high in fat, creamy and makes anything from breakfast to dinner taste better rolleyes.gif I can say this: everyone I know who has tried it has loved it. It doesn't even taste "coconut-y" either. As for coconut itself, the type to use is nearly powdered natural coconut - not big shreds.

O'Brannigan

O'Brannigan
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 7:38 am 
Sarbar, where can one find coconut cream powder? What section of the grocery store may one find it? I think would like to try it in a few dishes.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 7:44 am 
O'Brannigan wrote:
Sarbar, where can one find coconut cream powder? What section of the grocery store may one find it? I think would like to try it in a few dishes.
Any of the many Asian stores here will have it smile.gif I prefer the Thai brands myself. You can get it in 1.75 to 2 ounce packages which is about 3 servings smile.gif I know Central Market's carry it as well. I usually myself head into Seattle and get it at http://www.uwajimaya.com/ since I can get it in massive quantities (I carry it on my site for the unlucky souls in Nebraska......). They also carry 4-5 brands to choose from.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 8:06 am 
O'Brannigan wrote:
avoid all that sodium loaded freeze dried stuff
The way I sweat while hiking, the last thing I'd worry about avoiding is sodium. (However, I don't use the freeze dried stuff either.)

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 8:55 am 
As for the sodium loaded commercial freeze dried meals the big issues in them lie in how heavy the sodium is for each serving (and that many eat both servings as 10 ounces food isn't much), the lack of potassium (it helps regulate sodium in your body), lack of fiber and lack of fat. This leads to other issues on the last 2. If a person chooses to eat them, at least add in some olive oil - it improves the taste along with the ability for your tummy to process it. Mt. House in particular is downright scary for sodium levels (we are talking up and over 3,000 mg for one bag of food). The other brands are better (but still, never good). Mary Janes is the only brand I would give my recommendation for lower sodium (in the 400-800 mg range which is GOOD). Sodium is not what we always crave, often it is potassium and other minerals smile.gif So eats a well balanced diet out there wink.gif

QuailHiker

QuailHiker
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 9:14 am 
Three packages of instant grits and 3+ tablespoons of dehydrated breakfast casserole (with bread, eggs, cheese, etc.).