Forum Index > Food & Grub > What's for Breakfast?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 9:39 am 
sarbar wrote:
lack of potassium (it helps regulate sodium in your body)
One of our hiking staples is banana chips. Sounds like I was already smarter than I knew!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 9:52 am 
Conrad wrote:
sarbar wrote:
lack of potassium (it helps regulate sodium in your body)
One of our hiking staples is banana chips. Sounds like I was already smarter than I knew!
Yep! biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 10:04 am 
The freeze-dried bananas from "Just Tomatoes" are excellent. Most banana chips are fried in coconut or palm oil, both saturated fats that aren't very good for your circulatory system. Read those labels! If they're fried in a more healthful type of oil, they're fine. With my morning muesli, I often use a mixture of freeze-dried bananas and freeze dried berries (strawberries, raspberries or blueberries). I'm going to try Grape-Nuts or Kashii 7 Whole Grain Nuggets (very similar but more protein and, IMHO, more flavor) with the fruit in the future. I'm also going to try making my own granola (commercial granolas are far too sweet for my taste). While I love meusli, every day for a whole week is a bit much.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Jim Welch

Jim Welch
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 11:15 am 
Honey Bunches of Oats Clusters (note the clusters) with Milkman (premixed into a single serving) with a chocolate/PB powerbar and a LARGE cup of SB Breakfast Blend. Sometimes i make the coffee the night before and just do it cold the next morning in a .5 liter nalgene bottle with milkman and some Karo so I dont have to get the pots out. A sudafed also helps with the morning stuffynose and a wake-me-up kickstart (getting old is hell). Has anyone experimented with reconstituting Snoq Falls oatmeal by just soaking it overnight? I gotta check into that cocoanut powder, sounds tasty.

The top of a mountain is just the place you turn around and head back down.
Radnord

Radnord
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 12:27 pm 
Most of these wonderful sounding yummy-type breakfasts posted here are just too heavy or involve too much cooking, and of course, the clean-up afterward. I try to avoid both whenever I can while hiking. Although it is not necessarily what I would eat at home, I usually just have Muslix or granola, perhaps with some dehydrated fruit and powdered milk. It is fast and gives good energy. Also, if eating freeze-dried meals for dinner, it provides that all-important fiber. For potassium, bring along some banana chips. agree.gif

To you, is it movement or is it action, is it contact or just reaction, and you, revolution or just resistance, is this living or just existance? Yeah you, it takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 2:09 pm 
Like all breakfasts I carry they don't require more than boiling water wink.gif This is one I like to make - you can use fresh Huckleberries instead as well: Sarah's Fattening Coconut Berry Oatmeal In a pint freezer bag put: 2 packets instant plain oatmeal (1/2 cup dry) 2 Tbsp coconut cream powder 2 Tbsp diced dried fruit blend 1 Tbsp natural coconut 1 Tbsp brown sugar 1/2 tsp cinnamon Add 1 cup near boiling water and stir well. Let sit for a couple minutes till cool enough to eat. Serves 1. (Recipe is from my site)

Radnord

Radnord
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 5:06 pm 
That sounds quite tasty; I might have to try it. smile.gif

To you, is it movement or is it action, is it contact or just reaction, and you, revolution or just resistance, is this living or just existance? Yeah you, it takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance.
DanG

DanG
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 10:45 am 
Potatoes (home fries) cooked in olive oil. Honey and brown sugar bacon and eggs over easy. DanG

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 3:59 pm 
Radnord wrote:
Most of these wonderful sounding yummy-type breakfasts posted here are just too heavy or involve too much cooking, and of course, the clean-up afterward. I try to avoid both whenever I can while hiking. Although it is not necessarily what I would eat at home, I usually just have Muslix or granola, perhaps with some dehydrated fruit and powdered milk. It is fast and gives good energy. Also, if eating freeze-dried meals for dinner, it provides that all-important fiber. For potassium, bring along some banana chips. agree.gif
Indeed. One of the reasons I started this thread was to get ideas for lightweight, no-cook alternatives. When I'm out for a week Cream of Wheat every morning gets old plus if I don't have to cook anything for breakfast that's less fuel I have to lug along. The next week long trip I go on I'd like to have to cook for dinner only. Granola and/or granola bars with dried fruit sounds like a great alternative. Maybe a couple of those Tillamook smoker beef nuggets for some protein too. Where does one find freeze-dried banana chips? Those sound yummy.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 4:40 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Where does one find freeze-dried banana chips?
Did you specifically want freeze-dried? Because dried banana chips are with other bulk dried fruits in the bulk bins at my Winco grocery store, but I don't know about freeze-dried.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 4:41 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Where does one find freeze-dried banana chips? Those sound yummy.
Trader Joe's carries them usually. Also look for the Just Tomatoes brand - they are carried at QFC, Fred Meyers, Central Market, any natural food store, etc - they are tasty! They sell them plain or in a combo with strawberries.

Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostMon Oct 06, 2008 9:46 am 
Bacon -Toast Sandwiches Fry bacon and drain fat. Toast bread and spread liberally with butter. Make sandwiches as soon as the bacon is done. Let cool and pack for trip. These will keep for days. You can also add a slice of cheese!

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Oct 06, 2008 2:02 pm 
GrapeNuts + just enough milk, water, or water+powdered milk to barely cover. Heat over stove, stirring often. About 1 billion times better than oatmeal. Hot, good flavor, real texture. Sprinkle some sugar in the raw over it, or throw in some berries. Nom nom nom. --Gray