Forum Index > Trip Reports > My Legs Are Still Sore - Ida Lake 9/28/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 9:03 pm 
I've been looking at Ida Lake on the maps for years but never gone. Was never sure if there was a way-trail up there via the obvious looking gully on the map or not. After reading about that route on this site I decided I'd better go. Turned out to be a bit more than I bargained for, I didn't look real close at the elevation numbers beforehand... I took my mountain bike along and rode along the Icicle Road from the closure to the trailhead. At one time I encountered a lady with a dog and three goats in tow. When I first saw her I only saw the lead goat and thought it was just a big dog until it got closer. How cool, I didn't know goats would follow you around like that. One of them came up to me, just like a dog would, and let me scratch it's ears, then it left and walked off with her when she called to it. Here's a few pics. I wasn't in "photographer mode" on this trip as I was pressed for time due to getting a late start and it taking a little longer on the way up than I had planned. No pics of goat lady, sorry.
When I finally got here I looked at the map and was disappointed I hadn't come further.  The trail re-route adds a lot of long, flat switchbacks right off the trailhead that aren't shown on my old green trails map.
When I finally got here I looked at the map and was disappointed I hadn't come further. The trail re-route adds a lot of long, flat switchbacks right off the trailhead that aren't shown on my old green trails map.
There's the rock field you go up.  I didn't have any trouble finding where the way-trail spurs off the Chatter Creek trail and for the most part it was easy to follow up next to the boulder field.
There's the rock field you go up. I didn't have any trouble finding where the way-trail spurs off the Chatter Creek trail and for the most part it was easy to follow up next to the boulder field.
Grindstone Mt. through the haze from the Jack Creek fire.  It was flaring up that day and at one point the whole valley was filled with smoke and the smell of smoke was strong in the air.  I could see plumes coming up from the head of the Jack Creek valley.
Grindstone Mt. through the haze from the Jack Creek fire. It was flaring up that day and at one point the whole valley was filled with smoke and the smell of smoke was strong in the air. I could see plumes coming up from the head of the Jack Creek valley.
Some fall color and smoky haze.
Some fall color and smoky haze.
A Larch on the verge of being really colorful.  Another week or so...
A Larch on the verge of being really colorful. Another week or so...
The last few yards to the top of the ridge.
The last few yards to the top of the ridge.
First view of Ida Lake.  Purty, aint it?
First view of Ida Lake. Purty, aint it?
Another view of the lake towards the outlet from lower down.
Another view of the lake towards the outlet from lower down.
Didn't have much time to spend at the lake. Made some casts and caught a couple really fat (stuffed to the gills, literally) cutts, and ate a light lunch. Wish I'd had more time to go around the lake and explore some.
View across the Icicle Valley from the top of the ridge.
View across the Icicle Valley from the top of the ridge.
No smoke from this fire.
No smoke from this fire.
Sunlight through the smoke.
Sunlight through the smoke.
Another late afternoon shot of the peaks through the haze.
Another late afternoon shot of the peaks through the haze.
Colorful Maples at the trailhead.
Colorful Maples at the trailhead.
All in all a fun day, but my legs are still sore three days later. I ran down the trail at some points to make time. 4800 ft. elevation gained and lost. Approx. 9 miles (?) round trip. 8 hours elapsed time, including 45 minutes lounging at the lake.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 9:20 pm 
Great pics CSW. Put that tongue back in your mouth Mr.. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message