Forum Index > Food & Grub > Enertia trail foods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cweston

cweston
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 8:47 am 
I ate mostly these one-person meals on my recent solo trip--I highly recommend them. The servings were generous and the packaging is perfect: quite small, and the heavy-duty plastic zip pouch is perfect for packing out the trash. Things I particularly liked: Switchback Spaghetti, El Capitan 3-bean Chili, Mac Patch Mac & Cheese (the best), Wind River Cheesecake. I paid about $4 each: would get spendy for a long trip, but not bad. On a related note, I also discovered that I cannot eat more than a couple bites of a Clif Builders Bar. I mean I can't even choke it down.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 am 
I've been using these for the last couple years, really like them. Much better for you than Mountain House or some of the other freeze dried meals. Tastier too. The only one I've found that I dont like is the beef stroganoff. They are more expensive than mixing up your own meals but a little cheaper than a bunch of meal in a bags from REI. Try stirring in a packet of pink salmon or smoked salmon, adds a lot of protein and tastes great.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 9:20 am 
second the enertia foods....quite a few here use them.....compared to 6$ and up for the rei foods that HAVE A LARGE AMOUNT OF FILLERS....it's a good eatin.... they seem small at first, but hydrate up to a good size!

Luc

Luc
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 1:42 pm 
its a 3rd for the Enertia. if you order some, pay attention to which meals are no-cook and which require boil/stir cooking. the only one I didn't really like was the Silverton Scallops (it was the smoke flavored TVP). IMO, there is no difference in tastiness between the cook and no-cook meals. a few more things I have found is that their "wild blueberries" aren't really blueberries at all, they are sugar and flavoring...but still pretty good. also, their packaging is not recycleable (but who's is?). i have been looking for a long lexan spoon for a few years because I find the packages to be too deep, and i get goo (food) on my nuckes from digging down into the pouch. i add a combination of cheese and some kind of meat to my Enertia meals. and i really fills me up. packet chicken, tuna, crab (in the speghetti alala!) or reconstituted dried ground beef. yum. they also offer maple syrup granuals that I use to sweeten their breakfasts and my other trail breakfasts. and they are soooper good on pancakes for your layover day....and organic.

GNGSTR
cweston

cweston
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 2:09 pm 
Luc wrote:
i have been looking for a long lexan spoon for a few years because I find the packages to be too deep, and i get goo (food) on my nuckes from digging down into the pouch.
Yep--I only tried eating it from the pouch once, and my hand ended up a mess. (I eventually cut away some of the bag so that I could reach my spoon down there.) I guess I have a lighter appetite on the trail than many--I never felt the need to supplement the Enertia meals with meat or cheese or anything. (I do supplement things like supermarket pasta or rice dishes that way, though.) One of those meals plus a bit of a chocolate bar or something filled me up fine.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 2:18 pm 
I have a Jetboil telescoping plastic spoon that works pretty well for eating out of the Enertia bags. It's long enough to avoid most of the mess, you dont have to put your fingers into the bag. Several of the meals, especially the ones with dried beans, dont have directions to cook in the pouch and need to be boiled for awhile. They say to boil it for a few minutes, then let it soak awhile, and add the sauce mix right in the pot. I've found you can minimize the mess if you boil the beans/mix in the pot as the directions say, then transfer it back to the pouch to sit for the 10 minutes it instructs, and add the sauce mix into the pouch. This way the sauce doesn't get all over your pot and it makes cleanup fast and easy.

Aussie

Aussie
PostWed Oct 01, 2008 7:29 pm 
I have this spoon : http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bpl_long_handled_titanium_spoon.html and it works very well for all my eating out of a pouch meals.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 7:37 am 
For a cheap and well built $2 spoon, check out the GSI Rehydrate long handled spoon. REI quit carrying them last year it seems (oh well, less competition for me!). Those spoons sell like crazy for me - they work and are not $10. As for meals....if you like commercial stuff take a look at www.packitgourmet.com as well. They are a newer company out of Texas and IMO way better than Enertia will ever be. They also carry all the hard to get powders for making meals at home as well (which I use quite extensively in recipe development for my site).

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 7:45 am 

Luc

Luc
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 8:31 am 
uh oh! my menu just changed...thank you. and the GF won't resist now! a bit more expensive but whatevs! i wish they had more details on nutrition content and cooking directions. i will surely give these guys a shot. as for the spoon, where can i get one and what are the specs?

GNGSTR
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 9:00 am 
Luc, on the Packit items I have reviewed a bunch of them on my blog in the past month or two smile.gif The lady Sarah who runs it, she is VERY helpful with questions. As for the spoon? It is 8 1/2" long and weighs 0.4 of an ounce. It doesn't appear to be sturdy, but once food is on it, it is perfect. I use mine even in one pot cooking as it won't scratch my pot! I am not sure who sells them locally though. They seem to be an item that pops up online more than anything. http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/utensilskitchengear.htm is where I sell them.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 9:08 am 
Btw....PIG's curried cranberry couscous salad is hands down one of the best "vegan" meals I have ever eaten. Catzia and I ate it hot for lunch. She is a vegan and was raving about it.
For a non UL meal their biscuits and gravy is freaky good:

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostThu Oct 02, 2008 12:15 pm 
For those concerned about getting "Food Goobers" on their fingers...just roll down the top of the Enertia bag until your spoon comfortably reaches the food. up.gif

God, I am going to regret this someday!
cweston

cweston
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 7:22 am 
sarbar wrote:
As for meals....if you like commercial stuff take a look at www.packitgourmet.com as well. They are a newer company out of Texas and IMO way better than Enertia will ever be. They also carry all the hard to get powders for making meals at home as well (which I use quite extensively in recipe development for my site).
Thanks for the link--I need to check their stuff out. I think the Enertia meals are perfect for solo (the right portion for one, low fuel consumption), but the packitgourmet meals look great for 2 (or larger numbers).

Campsalot

Campsalot
PostMon Oct 06, 2008 5:44 am 
I looks like Packit Gourmet will be coming out with single serving meals soon. That’s something that I will definitely be checking out!