Forum Index > Trip Reports > Oct 4 wedding at Lake Serene, a BAD idea.....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 11:03 pm 
Maybe they got Lake Serene mixed up with Lake 22 or Greenlake or something? Maybe it looked better on paper?....October crisp air and Fall foliage in their mind....Instead of the reality of Monsoon weather without much foliage color. stats: 5 hours , car to car, including photos, and dinking around at the lake and having a nice serene lunch at Serene lake 2 hours up, 2 hours down. No records set, but with my 56th birthday coming up in a couple of weeks....good enough. a bit over 8 miles. 2493ft high point 2142 accumulated elevation
Stairs stairs and more stairs. Then some more stairs after that.
Stairs stairs and more stairs. Then some more stairs after that.
about a million stairs...but my OCness isn't into stair counting to be exact. First hint about the planned wedding was finding the "10 tips to a happy marriage" packs sprinkled along the trail.
An October wedding at Lk Serene probably looked better on paper.
Cute concept. 10 tips for a happy marriage with something related, left along the trail. Fruit left for fruits of labor
Cute concept. 10 tips for a happy marriage with something related, left along the trail. Fruit left for fruits of labor
Not sure what the demo item was for this marriage tip.  At least they wrapped them in plastic
Not sure what the demo item was for this marriage tip. At least they wrapped them in plastic
Eventually I passed the people setting up the scene and talked to them about the planned event. Didn't actually run into ANY of the wedding party until the way down.
Part of the wedding party, one of the more prepared. There is a baby on her back.
Part of the wedding party, one of the more prepared. There is a baby on her back.
I never figured out who the bride and groom were, but a lot of friends and family were NOT hikers. Definitely not the day to be hiking in shorts, sweatshirts and tennis shoes. At least the couple setting up the tips had a fleece vest. My wife gave me a nice break and let me take my birthday present early and this was the perfect day for testing out my new luxurious Integral Designs Cruiser jacket with the REALLY effective eVent material.
fleece and rain jacket made for a cozy lunchbreak on picnic rock at lake Serene
fleece and rain jacket made for a cozy lunchbreak on picnic rock at lake Serene
I had to get the classic shots going up the trail...
Help me!
Help me!
careful where you pose. DANGER! Watch for falling stumps
careful where you pose. DANGER! Watch for falling stumps
Looking up lower falls below Bridal Veil
Looking up lower falls below Bridal Veil
Easy crossing the falls. although it was running harder by the end of the day.
Easy crossing the falls. although it was running harder by the end of the day.
a bit of Fall with the falls in the background
a bit of Fall with the falls in the background
Not even one of the worst rocky sections.  Open area means you are almost at the lake
Not even one of the worst rocky sections. Open area means you are almost at the lake
Trace of Fall and a moment of distant views
Trace of Fall and a moment of distant views
Distant view of the falls
Distant view of the falls
Spooky Halloween tree
Spooky Halloween tree
And it wasn't ALL rain... There was a break out of blue...albeit raining at that time.
See....there was blue sky...before the torrential downpour
See....there was blue sky...before the torrential downpour
The lake lighting and mood changed literally by the moment. I eventually holed up at a sheltered spot and had a cozy lunch with fleece and rain jacket on, resulting in staying WAY too long at the lake.
a bit of a glow looking down the lake. Clouds drifting in and out
a bit of a glow looking down the lake. Clouds drifting in and out
Almost Sun breaking through at the lake
Almost Sun breaking through at the lake
ancient peaks...where is the Pteradachtyl?
Peaks above the lake. looking pretty primeval
Peaks above the lake. looking pretty primeval
Then suddenly it cleared for a moment...OK still some raindrops on the lake
Then suddenly it cleared for a moment...OK still some raindrops on the lake
Lake Serene shore view is a study of vertical lines
Lake Serene shore view is a study of vertical lines
Round picnic rock and Serene lake
Round picnic rock and Serene lake
Round picnic rock with Serene lake and talus in the background
Round picnic rock with Serene lake and talus in the background
Glaciers calving off at Serene Lake. and this is October, and that is last year's snow.
Glaciers calving off at Serene Lake. and this is October, and that is last year's snow.
Rain drops on Serene Lake
Rain drops on Serene Lake
Index peaks above Lake Serene
Index peaks above Lake Serene
It just kept raining harder and harder on the way down. People were VERY jealous of my rain gear, and the trails soon resembled a flowing creek with water puddling pretty significantly.
Heading back down the trail was getting a bit flowy with water. AFTER this it was raining too hard to get the camera out.
Heading back down the trail was getting a bit flowy with water. AFTER this it was raining too hard to get the camera out.
My feet and core were dry and cozy by the time I got back to the car. My pack cover and Patagonia rainpants had severely soaked through and even my OR Goretex hat was getting droopy, which rarely happens. My new eVent jacket ROCKS! up.gif My mini-gators worn under my pants really did a great job of keeping my feet dry even though they aren't waterproof, keeping the water from wicking down my pants into my socks. (boots are goretex lined).
Even my OR goretex hat was getting droopy from the torrential downpour of 10/4/2008. darn happy with my new eVent rain jacket. My Integral Designs Cruiser jacket kept me dry and cozy. Rain pants SOAKED through.
Even my OR goretex hat was getting droopy from the torrential downpour of 10/4/2008. darn happy with my new eVent rain jacket. My Integral Designs Cruiser jacket kept me dry and cozy. Rain pants SOAKED through.
Wind didn't start up until the drive back. A darn nice short hike. The roadway was literally flooding at the start of the drive back, then it dried out and the wind started up. I would rather have rain than strong wind in the woods. So the day worked out well for me. I figure the wedding party should figure if they can survive this day, the rest of their marriage is cake. cool.gif

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 11:39 pm 
Nice pics, glad to hear the event jacket worked out good for ya, cant wait to break mine in this weekend. Picked up the Shuksan at REI with my 20 percent off coupon and gift cards this last week. up.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 1:01 am 
Worth the trip.
What an awesome picture. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 pm 
Perhaps the lake has special meaning to them? confused.gif I have friends who got married on some ridge near Mt. Baker several years ago in Sept. They ended up with a Sound of Music type of day and setting. Glad you enjoyed the hike even with the rain. up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 4:45 pm 
My good friend Ldyblade and Rumidude got married 2 weekends ago on the Elwah - it was a hike in event. I can say that we didn't have signs or anything. Outdoor weddings do rock though!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 pm 
How much garbage do you think the non hikers left up there? For shame. shakehead.gif

none
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 7:18 pm 
I love to see folks enjoying the mountains even in crappy weather...thanks for the report! And best wishes to the soggy newly weds. BTW...you should enter the "help me " pic in the WTA contest....VERY FUNNY! rotf.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 7:49 pm 
Jordan wrote:
How much garbage do you think the non hikers left up there? For shame. shakehead.gif
My guess would be folks getting married up a trail in October may in fact be hikers even if their guest were not. Hopefully they left it just as the found it, we read nothing here to indicate they left a mess. best.gif to their new union!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 7:52 pm 
We briefely thought of having our wedding on Liberty Cap or Mt. Fury in order to keep some relatives away but settled on the beach in Oregon wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 8:02 pm 
sarbar wrote:
My good friend Ldyblade and Rumidude got married 2 weekends ago on the Elwah - it was a hike in event. I can say that we didn't have signs or anything. Outdoor weddings do rock though!
My wedding, 30 years ago, was an outdoor event, so its not that I have anything against outdoor weddings. But October at a mountain lake? A rough and tough 4 mile climb away from the nearest parking? Including non-hiker guests? Without any flexiblity of scheduling? Seems like maybe it was a tad over-ambitous in the planning phase. But hey, as I said, if their marriage can survive THAT wedding, the rest is all cake. cool.gif And after seeing THIS one, I won't worry about anyone that thought the climb down to the beach for the after Reception party was a bit much at MY wedding! smile.gif

friluftsliv
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 8:04 pm 
Lol...well, at L&R's wedding it did weed out the slackers and crazies biggrin.gif It was 5 miles or so RT and hey, I got tasty pears off the tree at Humes Ranch lol.gif My reward for hiking it! Kirk and I got married outside as well - in an alpine garden. I wanted to do Rainier but due to relatives it wouldn't have worked.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
mgd

mgd
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 pm 
Quote:
One has to remember the lake was probably named by the same crazy miners and fishermen that built the original trail. If it were discovered today, it would probably go by the name of Foggy Lake or Rainy Lake. hmmm.gif

ree

ree
PostMon Oct 06, 2008 7:44 am 
Where's the pictures of the bride???? confused.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Oct 06, 2008 8:54 am 
ree wrote:
Where's the pictures of the bride???? confused.gif
I somehow missed the bride and groom shot. frown.gif I asked a few people if they were the bride and groom, and ended up just saying "congratulations anyway for being such a happy looking couple". the bride was definitely NOT dressed to stand out while hiking If it was the group I think it might have been, in retrospect, the bride was not looking all that happy, or maybe that was the mother of the bride? The group had a duffle bag, which I assume had the wedding dress and/or wedding ceremony stuff. It was raining way too hard at that time to even think about pulling out the camera. I REALLY wanted THAT shot. I wonder if they jumped in the lake after the ceremony as I was told they had planned to do? Couldn't have gotten any more wet by doing that. biggrin.gif

friluftsliv