Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bear Lakes 9/28/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
11th Essential

11th Essential
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 8:23 pm 
Here it is a rainy Friday night with the wx forecast for the weekend not so great. Thought I'd share a nice outing I had, taking full advantage of the beautiful sunny wx of last weekend. I hadn't been up to the top of Bare Mtn in a while so that was to be my target. Have done it lots of times and for some reason it is one of my more favorite hikes. But this time I got to wondering about the old mine camp at the head of the valley. I'd always looked at the turn off to the mine camp area, intrigued by what lay beyond, but invariably continued on to the Bare Mtn summit. So this time thought I would forego the endless switchbacks to the summit, give up the chance for some great summit views, and do some exploring. Was really kind of exciting to turn off the main trail and follow the faint path up the valley. Even though it was faint, the way was easy to follow. Before too long I was at the first part of what was part of the mining camp. Lots of odd looking iron machinery parts.
Misc Mine Camp Debris
Misc Mine Camp Debris
Misc parts
Misc parts
Heavy duty part
Heavy duty part
Mmm good...
Mmm good...
Plus some aluminum, apparently from an old airplane crash.
Airplane wreckage and mining debris
Airplane wreckage and mining debris
After poking around a while, bushwhacked up the slope to the north to see if I could find some of the old mines. After clearing the trees it was pretty easy to spot the tell-tale mine tailings.
Mine Tailings
Mine Tailings
Scrambled up and found the entrance to two mines.
Mine Entrance
Mine Entrance
The western one still had an old ore cart at the entrance.
Ore Cart at Mine Entrance
Ore Cart at Mine Entrance
Donned my headlamp and went in about as far as I dared, probably only about 150'. It is so dark and eerie that I started to get creeped out.
Looking out, Casey lit up
Looking out, Casey lit up
After checking out the mines I wanted to check out Bear Lakes. Found a faint path up. At one point there was a piece of polypro line to help one get past some slabby rock.
Scramble Rope
Scramble Rope
Soon enough I made it too the lower Bear Lake. What a gem. I was wishing I brought gear and could spend the night. Such a serene setting with striking ridges to the north and east. Lots of places for some great scrambling.
Lower Bear Lake Pano
Lower Bear Lake Pano
Upper Bear Lake
Upper Bear Lake
View of Lower Bear Lake
View of Lower Bear Lake
Mtn above Bear Lk, 12 pic composite
Mtn above Bear Lk, 12 pic composite
Had a little fun taking pics to later stitch together. Unfortunately my camera had been set on less than full resolution. But they came out ok. Also checked out the smaller, upper Bear Lake.
Upper Bear Lake
Upper Bear Lake
Veery fresh bear scrapes!
Veery fresh bear scrapes!
There were bunches of tadpoles.
Tadpole
Tadpole
Am thinking these guys should have legs by now. Hope they didn’t get too much of a late start due to the spring’s lingering snow pack. After roaming around the lakes, worked my way back down to check out the old steam donkey in the talus field.
There is a trail in there
There is a trail in there
Steam Donkey
Steam Donkey
Steam Donkey end view
Steam Donkey end view
Steam Tubes
Steam Tubes
Old Machinery
Old Machinery
It just amazed me to think of all the activity that went on here so many years ago. I can’t imagine what it took to get all this equipment up the valley, and then all the back breaking work of the mining. Those were some tough nuts that tried to make a buck in this valley so many years ago.
Fall Colors pano
Fall Colors pano
Bush on Fire
Bush on Fire
Overall a great day. Can’t believe I’ve overlooked such a cool part of this valley for so long.
Casey on the way down
Casey on the way down

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gone

gone
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 9:14 pm 
Great report, thanks for the details and pics! up.gif All that great weather as Sept ended seems like months ago already.
11th Essential wrote:
It just amazed me to think of all the activity that went on here so many years ago. I can’t imagine what it took to get all this equipment up the valley, and then all the back breaking work of the mining. Those were some tough nuts that tried to make a buck in this valley so many years ago.
Tough nuts for sure. It all seems so remote now.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 10:06 pm 
The mine stuff is cool. I was looking at exploring over there too at some point although I haven't even done the summit yet. Long non paved road trips tend to make me put things off.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 10:34 pm 
Cool report and pics. I'm too lazy to start up TOPO and the Bare Mtn I know of and Bear Lake don't match up with your report. Where is this?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
11th Essential

11th Essential
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 8:47 am 
bikejr wrote:
Long non paved road trips tend to make me put things off.
This place is a bit of chore to get to, 19 miles of logging road to the trailhead. But it's worth it and it keeps down the crowds. When I first did this hike around 1990 and then later years I'd rarely see anyone on the trail. Now there will be a few folks on weekend. But that's ok, it's a big area, I'm willing to share. smile.gif
GeoHiker wrote:
Cool report and pics. I'm too lazy to start up TOPO and the Bare Mtn I know of and Bear Lake don't match up with your report. Where is this?
Lazy man... This is outside North Bend. Get on the North Fork Snoqualmie River Rd, then as you get close to the trailhead you turn on to FS #57, Lennox Creek Rd. Some of the stats, it's trail number #1037. The trailhead elevation is 2,100'. From the trailhead it is about 2.3 mi to point where you leave the main summit trail and head to the mine camp. The lakes were at around 4,700'. The Bare Mtn summit is around 5,400'

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 7:11 am 
Great TR, nice shots and very interesting stuff.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912