Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Baker/Railroad Grade 9-28-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
North Cascades

North Cascades
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 11:43 am 
Took the Park Butte trail to Railroad Grade and beyond, last Sunday with Jordan. Got an early start, leaving around 4:30 to try and beat some of the crowds to this popular trail, and got there near sunrise redface.gif . Walking through Schrieber's Meadow, the sun was just starting to hit Baker.
Sunrise on Mt. Baker
Sunrise on Mt. Baker
Sunrise on Mt. Baker
Sunrise on Mt. Baker
Very quickly reached the two stream crossings (one dry) and beyond, cursing the early morning contrast between bright sky and dark forest ruining my pictures of this spot shakehead.gif After reaching the junction we quickly decided not to go to the lookout and went towards Railroad Grade and High Camp instead. A few minutes past the trail junction we were greeted with our first look at the Easton glacier.
Easton Glacier and Colfax Peak
Easton Glacier and Colfax Peak
The light colored rocks of Twin Sisters looked especially nice in the early morning light.
Climbing Shadows on Railroad Grade
Climbing Shadows on Railroad Grade
Railroad Grade is named appropriately, gaining elevation steadily and only wide enough for 1 person. While climbing Railroad Grade we came across what has to be the most fearless marmot I have ever seen! As I discovered later, this little guy endures dozens of people passing within a few feet of his burrow every day, so 2 hikers early in the morning didn't bother it at all. It just stood on it's rock staring at us and sniffing the air.
This little guy didn't seem to mind us even when we passed within 2 or 3 feet.  After seeing the crowds on the trail later that day I understood why.  What's 2 hikers to a marmot that sees dozens each day?
This little guy didn't seem to mind us even when we passed within 2 or 3 feet. After seeing the crowds on the trail later that day I understood why. What's 2 hikers to a marmot that sees dozens each day?
This little guy didn't seem to mind us even when we passed within 2 or 3 feet.  After seeing the crowds on the trail later that day I understood why.  What's 2 hikers to a marmot that sees dozens each day?
This little guy didn't seem to mind us even when we passed within 2 or 3 feet. After seeing the crowds on the trail later that day I understood why. What's 2 hikers to a marmot that sees dozens each day?
Eventually the trail takes you right alongside the Easton glacier.
Easton Glacier from climbers trail
Easton Glacier from climbers trail
Easton glacier from climbers trail.
Easton glacier from climbers trail.
As we got higher, the trail gradually disappeared in the jumbled rocks. We decided to make for the highest point of a bumpy ridge alongside the Easton Glacier.
Mt. Baker with Colfax Peak-highest point of Black buttes, Remnants of a volcano from about 400,000 years ago that predates Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker with Colfax Peak-highest point of Black buttes, Remnants of a volcano from about 400,000 years ago that predates Mt. Baker
Beyond high camp and Railroad grade, the trail eventually disappears on this rocky ridge next to Easton glacier.
Beyond high camp and Railroad grade, the trail eventually disappears on this rocky ridge next to Easton glacier.
Rock scrambling between Easton and Deming glaciers on Mt. Baker
Rock scrambling between Easton and Deming glaciers on Mt. Baker
Easton Glacier
Easton Glacier
Glacier Peak from Mt.Baker
Glacier Peak from Mt.Baker
climbers near middle-bottom of photo
climbers near middle-bottom of photo
We reached our stopping point and had lunch around 7000'.
Jordan on Mt.Baker @ around 7000'
Jordan on Mt.Baker @ around 7000'
Deming Glacier-Mt.Baker
Deming Glacier-Mt.Baker
Easton glacier crevasses
Easton glacier crevasses
When we finally turned around and headed for the trail, we were in for a shock. This trail is REALLY REALLY popular! Probably passed at least a couple dozen people on Railroad Grade, not an easy thing with that narrow trail. Near the spot where the trail turns away from the mountain back towards the meadows, we could look down and see the Scott-Paul trail below. The bridge was out but the people down there didn't seem to have any trouble rock hopping across the Easton outlet.
Near Railroad grade/Mt.Baker
Near Railroad grade/Mt.Baker
Bridge out over Easton glacier outlet that eventually becomes Rocky Creek.  (Scott-Paul trail)
Bridge out over Easton glacier outlet that eventually becomes Rocky Creek. (Scott-Paul trail)
Mt.Baker viewed from the south
Mt.Baker viewed from the south
Schrieber's Meadow looked nice in full sunlight.
Schrieber's Meadow near Mt.Baker
Schrieber's Meadow near Mt.Baker
Schrieber's Meadow and Park Butte/Survey Point ridge from Park Butte/Railroad grade trail junction.
Schrieber's Meadow and Park Butte/Survey Point ridge from Park Butte/Railroad grade trail junction.
On the way back we took what we thought was the obvious trail across the 2 streams area(1 dry). Perhaps it was once, but is sure isn't now! Wasn't a big deal, we just hopped across the stream and followed the dry stream bed downstream a couple hundred yards and regained the trail.
Easton Glacier outlet stream
Easton Glacier outlet stream
Crossing Easton Glacier outlet stream
Crossing Easton Glacier outlet stream
This was a great hike but I'm glad we went early, so we only had to deal with crowds on the way back. On the way back there were lots of people on Railroad Grade, even more at Schrieber's Meadow, and more cars at the parking lot than I had ever seen. So go early if you go here! up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 7:22 pm 
Thanks, NC. That's a great reminder of a favorite place. I think I like the Railroad Grade, itself, better than any other trail I know. Once I'm there, it's so spectacular that I never notice the elevation gain, but it's a long. long climb getting up to it (at least for me). I've gotta say, the marmots were sociable when I was up there, but never that friendly!
Thanks for the memories.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Oct 04, 2008 9:48 pm 
Is that the swinging bridge that's out on the Scott Paul trail??????

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Oct 05, 2008 5:12 am 
Yes the swinging bridge was never installed this year. Not sure why. But even in August it was not hard to cross there on rocks.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/