Forum Index > Trip Reports > Into the Mouth of Darkness; The Snoqualmie Tunnel (9/28)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 5:59 pm 
My brilliant plan to rehab my injured knee on the gentle slopes of Kaleetan last weekend was thwarted by my kneecap popping like an M-80 and shooting across the Denny Creek Trail halfway to Melakwa. So I went with Plan B - the Snoqualmie Tunnel. What better way to spend a sunny afternoon than limping around inside a dark, damp, echo chamber full of hooting idiots and their screeching zygotes? It wouldn't be all fun & games, though. Up until now, no one has done a Snoqualmie Tunnel trip report on NWHikers, so this would be a scientific expedition more than anything else. The huge, gaping maw that is the entrance to the Snoqualmie Tunnel is posted with dire warnings of the perils within. And although I am confident I have the skills and training necessary to explore the dark catacombs, I was extremely hesitant to proceed inside. Somewhere between 0 and 100 people perish within the subterranean depths every year, and I had no intention of becoming another statistic. So, after assessing the danger and carefully weighing the risks, I was still unable to decide whether I should continue on or go to Twede's for an E.Coli burger. Eventually, I just flipped a coin and lost the toss.
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 019
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 019
Hibox Peak from scenic Iron Horse Trail.
Apparently, they have trouble with people camping inside the tunnel.
Apparently, they have trouble with people camping inside the tunnel.
Speak Friend And Enter
Speak Friend And Enter
There's something Freudian about the Snoqualmie Tunnel, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
There's something Freudian about the Snoqualmie Tunnel, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
One can't help but marvel at the sheer amount of force it took for Mother Nature to carve a passage through 2.5 miles of Snoqualmie Batholith (80 percent granodiorite, 12 percent quartz monzonite and alaskite, and 8 percent gabbro and diorite). Hundreds of years of pounding wind and rain created a smooth, straight line straight through the base of a mountain - precisely at the spot where they just happened to be laying some railroad track. Remnants of those forces still remain, as water showers down from the tunnel's ceiling for the first 100 feet or so. I counted about 950 gallons of glacial water raining down within perhaps a space of six minutes. I can't be 100% certain, for I was running through the torrent and giggling like a schoolgirl at the time. I suspect the water is seeping down through the rock from a source above, but I will have to get up there with a ladder and poke around a bit. For all I know, it could be broken fire sprinklers. There seemed to be some sort of primitive metallic structure used to shore up the sides of the tunnel, with chain-link fencing at the top to prevent rocks from tumbling down. This may provide access to the ceiling on a future trip, but with my gimpy knee I was unwilling to attempt an ascent during this particular venture. The metal appears galvanized, which may lend credence to my theory that the structure is man made.
Metallic structure appears almost man-made.
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 031
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 031
The first thing one notices when exploring the infamous tunnel is that it is extremely dark. The second thing one notices is that it reeks like the men's restroom at a Barstow-area Chevron station. Then, when the stench subsides, one notices yet again that it's dark. And it only gets darker. The pale, blue glow from my cheap Wal-Mart headlamp did little to penetrate the thick shroud of darkness, and if it wasn't for the tiny pinhole of light at the tunnel's far side - as well as the constant screeching of someone's zygotes deep within the bowels of the mountain - I would've been completely lost.
Strange scurrying sounds surround me. The echoes of my own footsteps, perhaps?
Something brushed against my leg right about here.
Something brushed against my leg right about here.
Stepped in something squishy right ABOUT here
Stepped in something squishy right ABOUT here
Oh god get it off me!!! Get it off meeeee!!!!!
Oh god get it off me!!! Get it off meeeee!!!!!
A Zygote in the Distance
A Zygote in the Distance
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 066
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 066
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 061
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 061
Snoqualmie Tunnel, Copyright 2008 The Angry Hiker
2 labels
Zygotes in the distance!
Zygotes in the distance!
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 044
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 044
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 055
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 055
Moving on past the waterfalls, the ground becomes dryer and the air cooler. The temperature seemed to drop a good 30 degrees merely 1/4 mile from the entrance. I am unable to explain this sudden drop in temperature, but it may be due to the sun's inability to penetrate through 2500 feet of solid rock. Indeed, the sun was conspicuously absent for most of my voyage, and until my eyes grew accustomed to the darkness I could hardly see anything at all. Then suddenly, and without warning, amorphous white shapes and bizarre markings materialized on the tunnel's walls.
Beads of moisture adorn the walls.
Beads of moisture adorn the walls.
Bat Guano? Mayhaps.
Bat Guano? Mayhaps.
More bat guano.
More bat guano.
Strange oozing sores on an otherwise unblemished tunnel wall.
Strange oozing sores on an otherwise unblemished tunnel wall.
Who was MP? And what lured him down into these dark depths?
Who was MP? And what lured him down into these dark depths?
Dark blue shapes dance on the tunnel walls as if lured there by my cheesy Walmart flashlight.
Dark blue shapes dance on the tunnel walls as if lured there by my cheesy Walmart flashlight.
Bat guano was my first guess. But the peculiar lack of bats suggested that the tunnels were neither a hibernaculum for a large bat colony, nor a maternity roost for the species of torpid bats that often dwell within cascade caverns. Alkali, then? Not likely. There hasn't been an alkali in these parts since they were hunted to near extinction in the 19th century. In any event, the spots were like oozing, pus-filled sores on an otherwise unblemished stone surface, and the more I gazed upon them, the more nauseated I became. So I pressed on.
In the middle of the tunnel, with no vegetation to be found, a stick floats in a pool of water. Another one of Snoqualmie's great mysteries.
In the middle of the tunnel, with no vegetation to be found, a stick floats in a pool of water. Another one of Snoqualmie's great mysteries.
A colorful chamber branches off from the main tunnel, reminiscent of Carlsbad's Temple of the Sun.
A colorful chamber branches off from the main tunnel, reminiscent of Carlsbad's Temple of the Sun.
Strange hieroglyphics adorn the walls; a remnant, perhaps, of the tunnel's prehistoric inhabitants.
Strange hieroglyphics adorn the walls; a remnant, perhaps, of the tunnel's prehistoric inhabitants.
Halfway through the tunnel, I was suddenly aware of how strangely quiet it had become. The normal ear-piercing screech of the zygotes was gone, to be replaced by the incessant dripping of bat guano and the shuffling feet of meth freaks looking for a fix. One such denizen of the deep shuffled past me as I was inspecting some more bat guano. His pale blue face seemingly materialized out of thin air as he stumbled into the half-light of my cheap Wal-Mart headlamp. "Howdy," he said. "Howdy" I replied, and then watched in horror as the shadows appeared to lurch forth and swallow him. The pinhole of light at the far end of the tunnel beckoned me onward, but I decided to cut my journey short lest I fall prey to the Heebie Jeebies. The other half of the voyage would have to wait until a future date. Probably this Sunday, if the weather holds up.
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 079
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 079
Come into the Light!
Come into the Light!
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 082
SnoqualmieTunnel2008 082
Zygotes on Film:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 6:03 pm 
So you are saying it will be safe to hike on 10/28? That is a bold prediction so far in the future.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 6:07 pm 
the darkest TR ever up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 6:10 pm 
Thanks, I needed that.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 6:12 pm 
Great report! up.gif up.gif But what about the stats? How much elevation gain/loss? Distance? Ice axe, crampons, hiking poles all required? wink.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 6:25 pm 
summit register? geocache? cairns? poodles?

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 7:30 pm 
Why did this:
make me laugh as hard as anything has on nwhikers? It's almost Dilbertian.

gone

gone
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 7:57 pm 
Re: Into the Mouth of Darkness; The Snoqualmie Tunnel (10/28
The Angry Hiker wrote:
Zygotes in the distance!
Zygotes in the distance!
I always wondered what it looked like in there. Thanks for shining some light on it! up.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 8:11 pm 
Re: Into the Mouth of Darkness; The Snoqualmie Tunnel (10/28)
Wow. This is my favorite photo.
The Angry Hiker wrote:
2 labels

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 8:26 pm 
Re: Into the Mouth of Darkness; The Snoqualmie Tunnel (10/28)
Quark wrote:
Wow. This is my favorite photo.
The Angry Hiker wrote:
2 labels
Well, if you go for that kind of photo composition, it's pretty nice. Personally I find the exposure and subject of this one much more interesting:
The Angry Hiker wrote:
Best tunnel report I've ever read! up.gif up.gif I really like the "come into the light" photo too, sort of a sci-fi feel to it.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 8:35 pm 
where's your shoe shot photo?

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 9:41 pm 
Where's the summit pose?? confused.gif

Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 pm 
Did you sign the register? Probably not- jerk.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 10:12 pm 
What model GPS did you use? Did it lose signal? If so, you can return it to REI.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 03, 2008 10:16 pm 
Couple famous Geocaches there abouts including one very old one placed by Jeremy and one from the Studio to promote Planet of the Apes par deux. wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn