Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantment Trilogy *Pics fixed*
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
El Puma

El Puma
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 1:31 pm 
Everyone who commented: Thanks for your help and patience, and thanks for the redirect, Tom! I've been using Snapfish just because everyone else in the family does...but I flickr'd the pics and hopefully that resolves the issue. I'm still learning! Original Post: After a few years of trying, I finally ended up with permits at a time and season that were useful to me! I'd done dayhikes to Colchuck and Stewart Lakes and always planned to "some day" make it up there. In September, a friend I used to work with overseas and I spent four nights at various campsites in the Enchantments. It was during that period of outstanding weather, with warm days and clear nights, not a single bug, and NO wind - we truly were super-lucky! The sunsets and nights were especially spectacular. There have been enough pictures posted of the Enchantments that are way above and beyond my skill level, so I'll just add a couple of my own.
Following our return, I have always wondered how intense a full traverse would be. On Wednesday, the necessary stars aligned: Weather, time off, and fall colors. Encouraged by GaliWalker's report from a few days ago, I drove to Leavenworth on Tuesday PM. This took quite a while, as I could not resist stopping many times for small sidetrips to shoot the valley fall-colors which were out in full force:
s081014SP-Colors
s081014SP-Colors
I had read the many reports of the "Snow Lake Slog" on here, but in the interest of getting back to the car with minimal effort I deposited my bike at the Stuart Lake TH, and drove back down for the obligatory German dining experience in Leavenworth. Camped at 8mi-CG, and woke up around midnight with a mild case of upset stomach. In view of the length of the hike, I was seriously considering bailing and just sleeping in. Couldn't go back to sleep either, but after drinking something and tossing and turning, I started feeling better. Since I wasn't sleeping anyway, I decided to start at 0300 instead of the planned 0400. The almost-full moon was incredible. Until getting into the woods, I didn't even need my headlamp!
s081015-01FullMoonRiver
s081015-01FullMoonRiver
OK, the trip IS a slog agree.gif - I can't even imagine hiking out that way with a heavy pack after spending a week in the 'Chants! I am glad I got to see it though - everyone should do that at least once - and Moonset at Snow was delightful!
s081015-02MoonsetSnowLake
s081015-02MoonsetSnowLake
On the step between Snow and Vivian, my stomach started revolting again. Knowing how close I was and that Vivian was halfway, knowing what I would be missing, and knowing the rest of the trip from our September adventure, I convinced myself I needed to push on. My speed had suffered, and since on past longer hikes like this I became accustomed to about 2.5mi/hr I was soon falling behind my (optimistic) schedule. A freezing wind blew between Vivian and Leprechaun, so I bundled up - but further up the wind mostly died down and it became downright comfortable. The scenery was very spectacular though, especially with the flat morning light:
s081015-14GoldGlow
s081015-14GoldGlow
s081015-11Leprechaun1
s081015-11Leprechaun1
s081015-12Leprechaun2
s081015-12Leprechaun2
s081015-25L+Waterslide
s081015-25L+Waterslide
I visited our old campsites (sort of a "before and after" picture opportunity) and decided not to take a swim in Tranquil Lake today biggrin.gif :
s081015-26TranquilCamp
s081015-26TranquilCamp
Thanks to the aforementioned report I was prepared for the water ice on the descent from Aasgard. One of the sections was rather "interesting" to circumnavigate. I also ended up crossing the river fairly high on the talus part of the descent, but I think the lower (trail) crossing was ok by then too - I ran into a couple on their ascent that didn't appear to have any difficulty with it. By the time I reached the first bridge below Colchuck Lake, my stomach mysteriously felt much better. I could definitely feel my knees though! For me, the worst part of any long hike or climb is always the slog out. And though the stretch along the river is only 2.3 miles, it still drags on. The air was cold, there was no wind, and the sounds of the river next to me was tranquilizing - or maybe it was just that I had had 8 hours of sleep in the past 48... When I dropped the bike off the night before, I became already wary of the washboard road down. Wow - talk about rough! I'm surprised I'm with teeth and without concussion. My arms were spaghetti by the time I reached the paved road though. Maybe it's finally time to invest in a modern bike with shocks? Almost exactly 12 hours hiking, and a 25min bike ride later I was back where I started. Psychologically, it was one of the harder hikes I'd been on due to not being 100% and convincing my body to keep going (what else was it going to do smile.gif ? ). I carried way too much stuff as usual, but if I ever get stuck somewhere I'll be glad to have it all - especially alone. The drive home went reasonably well - I stopped for the largest cup of peppermint tea I could find. I went through 4 liters of Hammer Heed (a bike-racing friend recommended that over Cytomax, so I tried it on this trip - it stayed down so I guess it works smile.gif ), but the mint and the heat felt good! This morning I was actually very pleasantly surprised by how good I felt. Aside from a knot in my shoulder and a talking lower back I'm back to normal. I think I'll skip the squats in the gym today though biggrin.gif ! Last but not least, here's a view of the Enchantments not many get to see. On a recent night flight over the hills I got to shoot a few pics through Night Vision Goggles. The moon was about half, and as you can see there's plenty of illumination:
Thanks for everyone's reports and pictures on this website; you provide many of us with lots of inspirations!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 1:35 pm 
The pics didn't quite seem to work. Maybe you could send them up to flickr or ImageShack instead?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
El Puma

El Puma
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 1:40 pm 
DHM- I may have to do that. I tested the post on two different computers and they DID load for me both times, albeit not instantaneously; it just seems to take a while to download all the pixels from Snapfish... I'm off to work now, but will edit the post if noone can get the pix to work...that's the whole point, after all! Thanks for the input!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 1:45 pm 
You bet...I'm looking forward to the pics. BTW - You might try using larger pics. I think the smaller ones (640x480) get directly embedded, whereas larger ones will be thumbnailed and actually result in faster download times for the viewers.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 3:09 pm 
Gosh, the Chants never looked so, red. hockeygrin.gif moon.gif doh.gif lol.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 3:35 pm 
Those last 3 shots are pretty funky. dizzy.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 3:42 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Those last 3 shots are pretty funky. dizzy.gif up.gif
Heh. I had no idea that Paris Hilton hiked...

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 4:39 pm 
Don't sell yourself short, your perspective is really interesting. I hope you get your linking situation sorted out and we can keep enjoying your photography. EDIT: Yay on the improved links!

El Puma

El Puma
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 pm 
As far as the "funky" Night Vision Equipment goes, it's the greatest step toward aviation safety in a long time! On well-lit nights, it's hard to believe it's really dark outside - until you flip them up and scare yourself! Landing in Greenwater on a moonless night would be damn near impossible without. Aviation Specialties has some cool footage on their website, along with details for those among you with technical interest.

Zort

Zort
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 pm 
How did you do the night vision shots? Hold the camera lens up to the goggles?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 9:23 pm 
Nice report with cool photos; and you did it the hard way too - coming in via Snow Lake. Lake Freya/Tranquil looks almost melted; I thought it would just freeze even more from now on. Weird.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Oct 16, 2008 9:47 pm 
Which dates did you do the trip? Looks like it was before the recent snow. I like your evening shots, especially DarkBlueSky.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Oct 17, 2008 4:06 am 
Another great Enchantment hike with some super pics. With your permission, I'll link this report to my Enchantment page at summitpost. There is a certain enjoyment to going in via Snow Lakes and out Aasgard. I've done it both directions and while I prefer the Aasgard first route, the first couple times I went into the 'Chants was via Snow Lake. I think the transition is better as you move up through each zone leaving the moonlike aspect of the upper 'Chants and Aasgard to last. Thanks for taking the time and effort to get everything posted. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Oct 17, 2008 5:16 am 
Quote:
I ran into a couple on their ascent
OK, I can't imagine there were TWO people who started a thru hike from Snow at 3am and left their bike at the Stuart TH on Wed! I'm pretty sure that was us going up you ran into on your descent of Aasgard - I was the one hauling the fishing rod up there smile.gif Awesome hike & pics for sure!

El Puma

El Puma
PostFri Oct 17, 2008 6:47 am 
Cheers Kat - wish I would have asked - I would have chatted longer! Did you guys make it up there? Any fish? Matt: The summer trip was 09-13SEP, the through-hike was 15OCT, and the NVG-pix from earlier in the summer. CascadeHiker: Feel free to link! (The link in your post leads to this one though). As to the direction - they both have their advantages, but I would have had a difficult time biking the 8 miles UP to the Stuart TH... Here are a couple of aerials from 2006:
sColchuck+Aasgard
sColchuck+Aasgard
sChants-to-Snow
sChants-to-Snow
sUpperChants
sUpperChants