Forum Index > Trip Reports > Carlsbad Caverns NP & More! 10/4-12/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 1:09 am 
CAUTION - LONG REPORT and only partially hiking related!!! Rachel and I went on the Inside Passage Alaska Cruise last year and had a good time, so we decided to go on another trip together this year. After thinking about it for a while, we decided on Carlsbad Caverns NP. I've never been inside a cave, and this was a great first experience. We flew into El Paso and rented a car to get to Carlsbad. There are a couple of places worth stopping along the way - Hueco Tanks State Historic Site (which we found out about too late to visit) and Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Besides the two national parks, we also visited White Sands National Monument, Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, and City of Rocks State Park. Carlsbad Caverns is a fascinating place, I'm not sure how to begin to describe it. It gave me the biggest WOW factor of all the places I've seen this year. I took some pictures, but they don't do the caves justice, you just can't get the feel of how big and beautiful this place really is from my pictures shakehead.gif We started our visit with the Big Room (self-guided), and what an appropriate name lol.gif it is BIG - 14 football fields cool.gif and then three ranger-guided tours - King's Palace, Lower Cave, and Left Hand Tunnel. The Big Room and King's Palace are lit, but are still fairly dark, and all the other tours are caves at their natural state paranoid.gif we used headlamps, flashlights, and/or lanterns to help us see.
road to Caverns
road to Caverns
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
BR
King's Palace
King's Palace Tour
King's Palace Tour
King's Palace
King's Palace
King's Palace Tour
King's Palace Tour
Lower Cave - this one we had to use rope and ladders hockeygrin.gif it was action packed and really fun agree.gif
LC
LC
cave pearls
cave pearls
coming out of Lower Cave
coming out of Lower Cave
Left Hand Tunnel - lantern tour
Left Hand Tunnel Tour
Left Hand Tunnel Tour
Left Hand Tunnel Tour
Left Hand Tunnel Tour
Left Hand Tunnel Tour
Left Hand Tunnel Tour
A must-see event at Carlsbad Caverns is the Bat Flight Program at dusk. A butt load of bats fly out of the natural entrance of the cave at dusk. And I really mean a butt load eek.gif we watched bats coming out of the cave for 50 minutes straight, and when we left they weren't even close to being done paranoid.gif Cameras and other electronic devices aren't allowed at the Bat Flight Program frown.gif We stayed at this place in Carlsbad while we were visiting the caves. And good places to eat - Danny's BBQ and Lucy's Mexicana up.gif both are on the main street that runs across town.
motel in Carlsbad
motel in Carlsbad
In between the cave tours we spent a day at Guadalupe Mountains National Park and did a short hike up McKittrick Canyon to The Grotto and Hunter Cabin - 6.8 miles RT and practically flat biggrin.gif
sign
sign
view along the way
view along the way
McKittrick Canyon
McKittrick Canyon
McKittrick Canyon
McKittrick Canyon
interesting plant
interesting plant
Fall colors
Fall colors
The Grotto
The Grotto
Hunter Cabin
Hunter Cabin
After bumming around the caves for a few days we headed north and then west (making a loop) to Alamogordo to see White Sands National Monument. Along the way we drove through the town of Cloudcroft - elevation 8663 ft. and looks like it would be a nice place for a hike hmmm.gif We arrived at White Sands in the afternoon and looked around a bit on our own and joined the ranger for a sunset stroll at 5:30pm.
moon over White Sands
moon over White Sands
sunset
sunset
having fun
having fun
Next morning we did a short loop hike - Alkali Flat Trail - 4.6 miles up and down on sand dunes dizzy.gif
sign
sign
trail sign
trail sign
trail
trail
Alkali Trail
Alkali Trail
Rachel at a distance
Rachel at a distance
Rachel - queen of the Sands
Rachel - queen of the Sands
We didn't plan on visiting the Gila Cliff Dwellings, didn't even know about it confused.gif until we were on the trip. This place is far from everything rolleyes.gif and took a while to get there on a really twisty and windy road dizzy.gif but worth all the driving agree.gif The Gila Wilderness is really beautiful, would like to do some hiking around this area in the future agree.gif
view along the way
view along the way
Gila Cliff Dwellings
Gila Cliff Dwellings
lizard
lizard
view from window
view from window
trail
trail
Gila Wilderness
Gila Wilderness
We went up one highway to get to the Cliff Dwellings and came down another to get back to civilization, making a nice loop drive. On the way back down, we stopped by City of Rocks State Park up.gif
sign
sign
lots of rocks
lots of rocks
picnic and camp site
picnic and camp site
view from road
view from road
grasshopper
grasshopper
nice looking cactus
nice looking cactus
view along the way
view along the way
I love rocks
I love rocks
the chicken dance
the chicken dance
Captain Morgan
Captain Morgan
Rachel
Rachel
looking back at City of Rocks
looking back at City of Rocks
view along the way
view along the way
Weather is great this time of year in southern New Mexico - sunny, in the 80s and a bit breezy cool.gif I've been dreaming about caves ever since we left Carlsbad.... might have to get my butt to Mammoth Cave next Fall hmmm.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 6:56 am 
Cool stuff. You have some neat photos, I know caves can be difficult to photograph. White Sands looks awesome too! cool.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 7:14 am 
sweet! You brought back some good memories for me. One of my fav places is white sands NM. It is pretty cool. We watched the bats too. So cool it is down to the minute that they come out and keep coming and keep coming! up.gif so cool! Thanks!

Don

Don
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 7:17 am 
Wow - what a fun trip! I love the images from the King's Palace and the Big Room. I can definitely see some WOW factor there!

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 8:07 am 
Mondo cool - Love road trips!

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 8:47 am 
cool.gif I almost didn't recognize you without your gaiters on hockeygrin.gif

Knows literally nothing
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 9:00 am 
Good to hear that the bats are back. I was there about 20 years ago and the bat colony was so depleted that only a few scrawny ones flew out.

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 9:09 am 
maybe it was your "angry" persona that they felt and where too scared to come out! eek.gif wink.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 9:14 am 
Great road trip! I was just out there 2 weeks and we debated about visiting the Caverns and Guadalupe...everything is just so far away from everything else. I'll just have to go back! By the way, I think you did good with your cavern photos...what a challenge!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 9:58 am 
the chicken dance
the chicken dance
Just when I thought you were finally overcoming your dorkiness. bawl.gif

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 2:22 pm 
Thanks for the comments smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
The Angry Hiker wrote:
Good to hear that the bats are back. I was there about 20 years ago and the bat colony was so depleted that only a few scrawny ones flew out.
I can assure you that the bat colony is very healthy agree.gif up.gif they are migrating to Mexico soon hmmm.gif maybe in a week or so.
the Zachster wrote:
Great road trip! I was just out there 2 weeks and we debated about visiting the Caverns and Guadalupe...everything is just so far away from everything else. I'll just have to go back! By the way, I think you did good with your cavern photos...what a challenge!
You must go back! It is worth all the driving - I promise smile.gif
captain jack wrote:
the chicken dance
the chicken dance
Just when I thought you were finally overcoming your dorkiness. bawl.gif
NEVER tongue.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 3:12 pm 
silly_t, what a fun trip! cool.gif i want to go frown.gif next time.....mammoth caves. agree.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
touron

touron
PostMon Oct 13, 2008 4:43 pm 
Nice pictures! up.gif up.gif up.gif I took a whole roll of film at Carlsbad, and my best picture looked like the Angry Hiker's photos of the inside of the Snoqualmie Tunnel. shakehead.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostTue Oct 14, 2008 5:47 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
silly_t, what a fun trip! cool.gif i want to go frown.gif next time.....mammoth caves. agree.gif
Mammoth! rocker.gif largest known cave in the world rocker.gif longer than the Grand Canyon paranoid.gif biggrin.gif

Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 pm 
i loved carlsbad canyon i think it is perhaps the greatest cave on earth. one thing that really got me mad there and was a texbook case of government inefficiency: they have 4 elevators 2 elevators would do the job to move the people they use 2 elevators only for freight even though they have many people working, only 1 elevator was moving people because the elevators require "trained operators" ergo, after walking down there into a claustrophobic area, i had to fight and push old women and small children to get back up the lessons: 1) government spends twice as much to do a job as it should 2) even so it only does half the work it should do