Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing climber at Mt Adams **UPDATE: FOUND ALIVE 10.17.08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSat Oct 18, 2008 11:49 pm 
holy crap

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 4:05 am 
It is great to have an uplifting ending. The one line that cracks me up in the press is that along with eating centipede's he drank creek water. They throw the creek water in there as if it is just as foul as eating a centipede. lol.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 11:24 am 
I haven't read this thread...but let me guess another "experienced"...."climber"....with out the 10 essentials... I don't care if he climed adams 100 times ....no one mentioned if he had ANY GEAR..... how about a map?? this guy is just lucky...sounds like a day hiker that decided he had enough "experience" to become a climber. NO gear? give me a break. oh and another thing....without reading the posts....GLISSADING WITH CRAMPONS prob. broke the ankle.....hmmmmm psyichhick gnome strikes again!! ....bet he takes a stove and bag next time.... hockeygrin.gif oh and yes props to surviving...sar.....ect ect......blah blah blah tongue.gif seriously though NO GEAR??.....personal locater beacons are still available for rent......just takes a lot of planning to solo.....

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 12:37 pm 
Glad that someone opened up this "can of centipedes". We saw him as he passed us above lunch counter at 9400ft, he was under dressed, carrying a tiny day pack and was walking strangely on his crampons. He was aware that he was climbing into deteriorating weather and everyone on our team noted that he looked the least prepared for what he was getting into of the three single climbers we saw heading up as we descended. Our member who stayed at base camp even asked us if we had seen him because she wondered if he was actually going to climb or was just lookylooing. Where he fell was near where we made our navigational mistake, one that was rectified by comparing way points on the 2 gps units that we had on our team. I don't think you need to clean out the shelves at REI and carry all your gear up the mountain, but we had a stove with us in case our water froze or we got caught in a tough situation, on top of the layers (including goggles) that we ended up needing. Experienced means understanding your limits, reading the weather, listening to other climbers, being prepared for an injury if you choose to climb alone... I would not have classified him as any of those things, each individual on our team noticed him and discussed him long before he was reported missing. I'm glad he was found safely and I know the mountain can be a fickle beast, but you must respect it or you will pay handsomely. Note:newest articles refer to him drinking his own urine, so now the stream water doesn't sound nearly so bad!

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 1:43 pm 
I Sooooooooo wanted to stay out of this, obviously this individual has a tremendous survival instinct and positive attitude, and thank god he was found alive and there was a group of highly trained and dedicated volunteers and professionals to find him, be that as it may, it this the Melakwa Lake syndrome revisited? Is it don’t worry about it, don’t think about it, it can’t happen to me, and then it does? The gentleman in question did one important thing correctly, he survived, but an ounce of prevention is always better than a pound of cure. I hope the full story is revealed so we all can learn how best to avoid this happening to one of us.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 2:12 pm 
Am I missing something? I didnt see anything mentioned about his PACK or gear that HE SHOULD HAVE HAD WITH HIM EVEN IF HE WAS ON A DAY HIKE! Right?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 2:29 pm 
the lykkens wrote:
Experienced means understanding your limits, reading the weather, listening to other climbers, being prepared for an injury...
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
The gentleman in question did one important thing correctly, he survived, but an ounce of prevention is always better than a pound of cure.
I completely agree. I'm also very glad he survived -- his will to live is apparently strong -- but his unfortunate circumstances could have been mitigated by being better prepared. In the backcountry, being prepared to spend as much time as it takes SAR to reach you is sound practice. And that doesn't just apply to solo travelers, it applies to everybody. Being prepared doesn't necessarily mean bringing a 10-pound four-season North Face tent and 30 pounds of other gear. It does mean bringing a closed-cell foam sleeping pad (maybe cut a little short to save weight and bulk); a couple of garbage bags for an impromptu bivy sack; balaclava; extra clothing; extra food; if cold temperatures, a stove and pot to melt snow for water; and, of course, leaving a route/time plan with a responsible party. In other words, the Ten Essentials plus. Enough stuff so you can lie there with an injury until SAR arrives -- which can be several days in some locations. Part of traveling in the backcountry is fulfilling your responsibility to come home to your family and friends. Being properly prepared is the first step in fulfilling that responsibility.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Lono

Lono
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 5:16 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
Part of traveling in the backcountry is fulfilling your responsibility to come home to your family and friends. Being properly prepared is the first step in fulfilling that responsibility.
Agree with that. He survives to hike and climb another day, I'm glad for that. Better he eat the centipedes than the centipedes eat him. And he won't make it in SAR without the essentials and a healthy dose of preparedness. Good save SAR.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Oct 19, 2008 7:28 pm 
yep ya gotta be prepaireed....hope no one thinks me to harsh in judgment....and so far no one has called the guy names ect... amazing what 4-5lb. of gear can do for ya .......or a cell phone hehehehe or a 20$ radio...or ...or ....or REALLY great suggestion to carry garbage bags, stove, fuel, pad, and extra clothes....granola.....SOMETHING!!! huh.gif EDIT:..HE MUST HAVE HAD AN ICE AX RIGHT??....oops shouting sorry.

ilsa817
Adventure Girl

ilsa817
Adventure Girl
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 2:34 pm 
I too am glad he survived. I was expecting the worst but elated that he is fine. On the other topic this brings up, I am often surprised to come across hikers with one bottle of water between the two of them and think that somewhere in their future is an SAR. Michael & I never leave home without the 10 essentials and a few extras even if it means we have the biggest packs on the trail. I can remember one hike where our daypacks were large and someone asked if we were staying overnight. Our reply was that we hoped not, but were ready if we did.

Better than loafing around Hades.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 3:08 pm 
and isn't there something about staying put, once you are lost, so SAR is not chasing your trail? Thats something drilled into MY kids since they were about 5 years old. ....especially if you didn't even bring along a map and compass on a mountain you have never climbed before, and on a snow covered mountain on a Fall day no less. No mention of map in any reports. as in "he finally had to eat his map". And it sounds like he would have been found even sooner, maybe even by days, if he had stayed put. (weren't the "scratches in the dirt" found before the last day?) much else obvious stuff has already been pointed out.

friluftsliv
huron

huron
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 3:40 pm 
Stories of the lost and injured are interesting because we can learn from the mistakes of others. Too many here and on the news seem to want to make fun of a victim. What we should be doing is understanding what went wrong. The news didn't spend any time at all explaining how he got from the false summit to 6400 feet somewhere down the white salmon glacier, exactly how the ankle was broken, why he simply didn't re-trace his steps or how to find a centipede when you are hungry. BTW, congrats on your summit J&S. That mountain takes a Lykken and keeps on tikken!

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 4:11 pm 
I agree with what is being said here, but in a side note about staying put: that is rather hard to do at 11, 600 ft with 50+mile per hour winds and dropping temperatures. It looks as though he spent a good portion of the time he was missing trying to get below the snow line. Granted he may not have been in this position had he chosen to climb with a partner or with adequate gear, but in this case I think sitting and waiting for SAR would have meant certain death. I don't believe the search even begin until Monday.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 4:14 pm 
Magnum wrote:
BTW, congrats on your summit J&S. That mountain takes a Lykken and keeps on tikken!
Thanks, false summit only, but we came home safely and will try again next year. I agree about this being a good forum to discuss what he did right after he ended up in a wrong situation and that there was nothing funny about the whole incident. I had a stomach ache all week reading about him being missing.

touron

touron
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 4:32 pm 
Magnum wrote:
The news didn't spend any time at all explaining how he got from the false summit to 6400 feet somewhere down the white salmon glacier, exactly how the ankle was broken, why he simply didn't re-trace his steps or how to find a centipede when you are hungry.
ditto.gif I would be interested in a detailed daily account if he gives these details at some point. What was the visibility like? If he could have had more gear, what would he have thought to be most valuable? I suspect the weather on Mt. Adams can get absolutely miserable at times.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.