Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sourdough Mountain 9-2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiryfly

kiryfly
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 1:01 pm 
I had the chance to do Sourdough Mountain recently, and since that is one that's been on my list to do, I took the chance. I was really glad I did so as well. I got to the trailhead around 9:00 am. It took me some time to find the trailhead, but luckily some local guys pointed me to the swimming pool, which the trailhead was behind. The first two miles were strenuous, but not nearly as exhausting as I was expecting. As I climbed higher, the fog lifted, which got me hopeful for blue skies later on.
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
After reaching the North Cascade boundary sign, the trail got a lot more gentle. And the views started popping out.
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Eventually, you start traveling across, and I met the only other person I saw on that hike. He had saw a bear pretty close by, but I decided to continue on. Luckily enough, no sign of the bear anytime while I was up there. Soon after that, I saw the lookout in the distance.
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
That got me geared up, and I reached the top shortly. And then stopped dead with all the pretty mountains in front of me.
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Sourdough Mountain
Reluctantly, I headed back down. It was a long slog back down, and very tough on the knees. First hike I've done where I actually felt it in my knees, especially the last two miles. It was a great day, though, and special for how deserted the hike was.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 4:27 pm 
kiryfly, you did well. That is a long slog. Now completed, I bet you want more of it? The views are terrific and it is worthwhile an overnight, complete with Milky Way. Last times there I watched Norther Lights dance over the North Cascades to Canada! The route to the upland portion is really worth the travel. You encounter tarns and endless photogenic possibilities. You can keep going and going. Of course, the route does reach something of a climb (down). I recommend camping on that ridge place where a larger tarn would provide water for filtering and boiling plus reflections and gazing. The side path (was) a bit hard to find but is actually at the top of the stepp, top portion of trail and you simply push into the brush and find the "trail", a usually easy going way trail. It has been many, many years since I went there, but I still cherish the memories.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 7:18 pm 
Sourdough mtn, and Stetattle Creek trail head are located in some bizzar spots. What other national park trail heads are located behind a shed, and a swimming pool huh.gif oh and....that view is amazing up.gif up.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
kiryfly

kiryfly
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 7:35 am 
I actually thought of that idea when I was climbing up there. I passed the turnoff to the camping spot around the creek. It sounds like it would be a great time. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind for backpacking trips. I bet the sunrise would be gorgeous there.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 1:44 pm 
Nice! That's definitely a haul, but the views are certainly worth it. up.gif Looks like you didn't have to deal with too much snow on the route up. I'm a little surprised, but I guess it makes sense...we haven't had any really rainy weather lately to accompany the cold temps.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short