Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sauk, Sauk, Sauk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 8:16 pm 
Did N Fk Sauk on Friday, Old Sauk on Saturday, and Sauk Mtn on Sunday. I'll attempt to refrain from Sauk jokes. I didn't realize the theme until I thought about it a bit. (the theme is "Sauk"). So I guess you could say my weekend Sauked (sorry). The scenery knocked my Sauks off (oops, sorry). I already posted photos on another N Fk Sauk thread , 'cause I was just there last week. Notable celebrities were 7 or 8 violet cort mushrooms and a spider. Other than the spider, I was the only one on the trail as far as I know. Saturday I joined Magellan and kids on the Old Sauk trail. I posted pics on his trip report. Sunday I hiked Sauk Mtn. The slope is brown; some color at the bottom where it's more moist, but I wouldn't call it a fall color extravaganza. What I enjoyed a lot was the sound of the wind rustling through the dry leaves and pods. It sounded almost like an applause. It raised to a raspy roaring at times. Very very cool. Views are spectacular here. Tiny patches of snow linger from last year in mooky pits near the top. It was better than I expected it to be. I don't know what took me so long to hike this short but sweet trail. I'll be back. I love driving the road - very twisty, tight switchbacks.
Sauk Mtn dry foliage
Sauk Mtn dry foliage
Sauk Mtn view of Mt Baker
Sauk Mtn view of Mt Baker
these were on a road spur off a switchback.  They glowed!  Slammed on the ole brakes and backed uphill to check 'em out.
these were on a road spur off a switchback. They glowed! Slammed on the ole brakes and backed uphill to check 'em out.
Sauk Mtn Fireweed1
Sauk Mtn Fireweed1

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 8:18 pm 
You're sure a Sauker for these hikes, aren't you? embarassedlaugh.gif Oh, I should keep my day job?

Knows literally nothing
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 8:40 pm 
It's a great hike in nice weather for sure! The road, however, dealt the final blow to my transmission. It was a Ford Windstar... so in the long run it was probably for the better. Now I need to con someone else into driving, or hike the 'old' trail which starts along hwy 20. Thanks for sharing Quark - and cool fireweed pics!

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm 
I only have two feet. confused.gif