Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grindstone - We'll take a Pass! La-La Larch! 10-25-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Oct 25, 2008 9:18 pm 
OML (Oh My Larch) -OMA (Oh My Aspen) -OML-OMA stun.gif eek.gif read on!
. . . ahh Larch
. . . ahh Larch
Leavenworth NOAA weather prediction for Saturday: Partly cloudy; scattered showers until 11:00 a.m. (ahh yes, the magical 11:00 a.m. predictions. shakehead.gif (bless their little errant hearts!) Reality: 8:00 a.m. on Icicle Creek Road:
Larch lurking in the morning
Larch lurking in the morning
Early morning glimpse of Larch
Early morning glimpse of Larch
More than happy to have them wrong - very wrong! lol.gif agree.gif
Note all of the clouds and rain!
Note all of the clouds and rain!
More clouds and rain!
More clouds and rain!
Barry and I (and Gus) agreed on setting our sights on Grindstone and/or Lake Edna for Saturday. Everyone else seemed to have other plans, so we were on our own. We knew that Sunday was supposed to be the better weather day, but we decided to take our chances. Since the daylight hours are getting fewer and fewer, we decided an early start was in order. It seemed heading out for Leavenworth on Friday made sense, so we could get to the end of Icicle Road good and early, because there was another 1.75 miles added (each way) to the Chatter Creek trailhead start when the road washed out. Traffic wasn't too bad heading east on Friday and we made Leavenworth around 7:00 p.m. - didn't find the Geo-Schmidts' Mexican restaurant - but we found a reasonably good place in the "heart" of downtown Leavenworth. No camping - but we did get a nice early start this morning and arrived at the end of Icicle Road by about 7:40 a.m. (daylight - but the sun wasn't over the ridge yet). We were feeling pretty smug, because the temperature along Icicle was 50 degrees. At the end of the road turn-around, the temperature was 46 - not bad, actually. There was only one other vehicle - two guys unloading FIVE horses for a week-long trek into the mountains. I tried to convince them to give us a ride, but they were heading in a different direction!
Two guys heading out for a week in the mountains
Two guys heading out for a week in the mountains
So, off we headed. Be aware, the route diversion isn't really marked - just go to the gated dirt road to the north of the old Icicle Road (which is now covered in water). You take that about a mile or so until it dumps you back onto Icicle Creek Road (you have the option of taking a trail right at the end or staying on the road - doesn't really matter, you end up back on Icicle regardless!)
Trail junction on Icicle Road
Trail junction on Icicle Road
Gus loved this route, because it meant that he could go jump in Icicle Creek at several points. Pure heaven for him. (Unlike the Geo-Schmidts last weekend and having to leave their 4-pawed friends home, this was a sanctioned dog hike.) Meanwhile, Barry and I were taking in (gawking!) at the marvelous Larch.
Hillside ablaze with Larch
Hillside ablaze with Larch
Soon, however, we were at the new Chatter Creek trailhead
Chatter Creek trailhead
Chatter Creek trailhead
This starts out gently enough - no killer elevation gain, at least, not until you get to the crossing of Chatter Creek.
Gus visiting Chatter Creek
Gus visiting Chatter Creek
Approaching bridge crossing of Chatter Creek
Approaching bridge crossing of Chatter Creek
From here on out, it's a steady uphill grind (so to speak). Pretty steep in some spots. No snow until we hit about 4000' - then it's pretty spotty. After a few small creek crossings, you break back into the open.
Barry eyeing our destination - Grindstone
Barry eyeing our destination - Grindstone
We still had a couple of miles to go before we would get close to the "exit" for Grindstone. Meanwhile, we took in some more scenery.
Red Berries - Blue Skies
Red Berries - Blue Skies
Heading to the Pass and looking down at Chatter Creek Basin with snow
Heading to the Pass and looking down at Chatter Creek Basin with snow
The higher we climbed, the windier it got! Plus, as we climbed higher, the minimal snow (1 - 2" below 5000'; 3 - 4" above) turned from snow to ice disguised as snow. I began to worry about the footing going up Grindstone, because there was a thin coating of the same stuff.
A slippery slope, indeed!  North flank/ridge of Grindstone
A slippery slope, indeed! North flank/ridge of Grindstone
Gus lovin' the snow
Gus lovin' the snow
Soon, we would come on a decision point of whether or not to make a try for Grindstone. Jim K has a good description of the route up Grindstone from his 2005 report on his Website (www.kuresman.com).
Barry viewing the Pass
Barry viewing the Pass
When we reached the switchback, the wind had really kicked up and we both agreed that wind and ice were not a great combination, so we opted to head to Lake Edna instead. On we trudged towards the Pass (it seemed to take quite a while to get to the Pass, but in actuality, we had made really good time and reached the Pass in 2 1/2 hours). We were thinking that the wind would die down some once we reached the Pass and dropped over the other side and headed to Edna - it didn't happen! In fact, I was truly worried that I would be pushed off the Pass by the incredibly strong wind! But still, the views were awesome.
From Grindstone Pass looking out North/Northwest across the Chiwaukums
From Grindstone Pass looking out North/Northwest across the Chiwaukums
At the Pass looking west
At the Pass looking west
We looked down at the route towards Lake Edna and it didn't look promising! Also icy and with the wind . . . well, we decided that we would settle for a Pass! Grindstone Pass. Mainly, we wanted to get out of the wind. We both had plenty of layers to pull out of the pack and pile on before we headed down. It was amazing what a few hundred feet drop would do for temperature and wind. We decided to grab some lunch on some rocks in the sun, with very little wind and some great views.
Looking south to the Enchantments
Looking south to the Enchantments
Snow/ice on the trail
Snow/ice on the trail
Grindstone and a few lonely Larch
Grindstone and a few lonely Larch
After unloading a few layers, we started back down our route up.
Looking up to Icicle Ridge
Looking up to Icicle Ridge
Shortly, we met up with three guys on their way to do Grindstone. We briefed them on the conditions we had found - they didn't have "spikes" but did have ice axes, although those wouldn't do them much good on the limited amount of snow covering boulders. Hopefully, the wind died down for them and they were successful. They told us that there was a group of five behind them who were headed to Lake Edna. However, we never saw that group! We wished them well and continued our descent. The lower we got, the warmer it got! In fact, we decided it was downright balmy!
Grindstone attempt Oct. 25, 2008 .
Grindstone attempt Oct. 25, 2008 .
In shorts!
In shorts!
The rest of the trip was uneventful, but we did see lots and lots of people coming in to walk Icicle Road. Truly, the colors were spectacular! agree.gif
More Larch
More Larch
and more Larch
and more Larch
Walking from Chatter Creek trailhead back to Icicle Creek Road
Walking from Chatter Creek trailhead back to Icicle Creek Road
Fall foliage
Fall foliage
A little variety in Fall color
A little variety in Fall color
We got back to our original start - and now there were almost a dozen cars lined up! We took a break and let Gus enjoy the colors and creek!
Gus and the quaking Aspen along Icicle Creek
Gus and the quaking Aspen along Icicle Creek
Gus wading in Icicle Creek
Gus wading in Icicle Creek
We were back on the road by 2:15 p.m. getting back to Seattle before 5:00 p.m. Gorgeous day. Pack up the family in the ol' SUV (gas is "cheap" in Sultan - $2.61.9 at the Chevron on the west side of Sultan; $2.63.9 at the Shell on the east side of Sultan.) - Highway 2 is splendiferous - The Aspen are absolutely flaming and the Larch on the south side of Icicle Creek are marvelous!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif Won't last long! Stats: About 13 - 14 miles roundtrip; 4100' of gain (missed Grindstone summit by about a mile and 1000' - and Lake Edna by about a mile, too) The driver

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Oct 26, 2008 12:27 am 
Great photos and TR!! up.gif up.gif up.gif And to think that I would actually miss the New England fall season when I moved here last year! I am loving and eating up every bit of this fall! And I have only hit the golden larches once on Earl Peak. This year has been an awesome fall!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Oct 26, 2008 5:46 am 
We are headed to the Chiwawa area today....probably icy there, too! Yikes!

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Oct 26, 2008 9:23 am 
The route to Grindstone traverses below the ridgeline in both photos below, and it wasn't obvious whether the snow would help or hinder. Without the wind we might have ventured further...
Route to Grindstone
Route to Grindstone
Route to Grindstone
Route to Grindstone
There was more snow on the north side of the pass, however it would have been feasible to get to Lake Edna, absent the cold wind.
Suzanne and Gusto blowing off the pass
Suzanne and Gusto blowing off the pass
Lake Edna is there somewhere
1 label
Lake Edna is there somewhere
Nevertheless it was a beautiful fall day. I think the aspen are winning out over the larch for color. There were also hillsides thick with red and orange mountain ash berries.
Mountain ash
Mountain ash

pithy yet insightful signature
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Oct 26, 2008 8:37 pm 
East vs West - - - colors
EastKing wrote:
Great photos and TR!! up.gif up.gif up.gif And to think that I would actually miss the New England fall season when I moved here last year! I am loving and eating up every bit of this fall! And I have only hit the golden larches once on Earl Peak. This year has been an awesome fall!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif
EK - I guess the colors this year in New England are outstanding! Daugher #1 was just in Boston/up-state New York and she said it was the best she's ever seen. However, although we don't get the publicity the New England leaf peepers do, we certainly have some mighty fine stuff! You might still have time to see some Larch around Leavenworth, if the wind doesn't blow too much! Enjoy. agree.gif winksmile.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!