Forum Index > Trip Reports > All aboard the Enchantments Express (10/19/08)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gone

gone
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 9:47 am 
Thanks for that great report and all the wonderful pics! up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Shadow

Shadow
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 1:38 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
Man, you should have given the dog owners a real earful! Why do some people do this? What's wrong with them? There are numerous signs at the trailhead... shakehead.gif
I'm not trying to defend any irresponsible dog owner's actions here, but when I was at the Snow Lake TH last weekend I did notice one of the "this trail open to" signs which did show dogs on leash as o.k., just no mtn bikes or horses. We've all seen those signs and it just struck me as really odd that they would have that sign there when it's posted all over the reader board that dogs aren't allowed. Maybe the owner couldn't read and just looked at the pictures!

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 1:47 pm 
Interesting you mention that Shadow. We didn't arrive to the Snow Lake TH until after dark. The photo of Alti-Babe and Alti-Dude at the trailhead kiosk clearly shows a 'No dogs' poster behind Alti-Dude, but you might be referring to one of those small brown signs on a post? I don't want to derail this thread (get it, derail... rotf.gif ). Please continue commenting on my fine photos. Oh, yeah, the Schmidt's photos too. hockeygrin.gif

Knows literally nothing
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 2:08 pm 
Shadow wrote:
I'm not trying to defend any irresponsible dog owner's actions here, but when I was at the Snow Lake TH last weekend I did notice one of the "this trail open to" signs which did show dogs on leash as o.k., just no mtn bikes or horses.
You sure you're talking about the same Snow Lake Trailhead? NOT the one up at Snoqualmie Pass, right? I know that the WTA had horses up to just a bit beyond the first bridge over Snow Creek one year. I was surprised to see pack animals up there...I know for sure they (pack animals) are NOT allowed any beyond that.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Shadow

Shadow
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 2:15 pm 
yep, same Snow Lake TH on Icicle Creek. The sign is on one of those brown posts to the right of the reader board.

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 5:33 pm 
I figured out how to make flickr not resize my pano but now they were HUGE when you click on them to see them bigger. Here are the panos re-sized so that you can see them better enlarged.
Mount Cashmere viewed from Colchuck Lake
Mount Cashmere viewed from Colchuck Lake
Lake Ölrún
Lake Ölrún
Brísingamen Lakelets
Brísingamen Lakelets
Crystal Lake and McClellan Peak
Crystal Lake and McClellan Peak
Talisman Lake
Talisman Lake
Rune Lake
Rune Lake
Sprite Lakelet
Sprite Lakelet
Shadows and larches in the Enchantments
Shadows and larches in the Enchantments
Leprechaun Lake framed by larches
Leprechaun Lake framed by larches
Lake Viviane
Lake Viviane
Nada Lake
Nada Lake

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 8:21 pm 
Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
Here are the panos re-sized so that you can see them better enlarged.
Haven't you been told that size doesn't matter? clown.gif

Knows literally nothing
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Oct 25, 2008 4:57 am 
Enchanting and enthralling as well as entertaining, you guys have put together an outstanding TR and the number of pics, well, awesomely done. Therefore, I have linked it to my Enchantment page at Summitpost where I am continually working on an information page that will aid seekers for the true Holy Grail. NWHikers is the premier Trip Report resource in the world for Enchantment adventures as those who post their TR's here, do it better than anywhere else. Please check out my summitpost page and email me with suggestions for improving it as I will try to do once the winter doldrums hit and I am not out snowshoeing or skiing somewhere. cool.gif Summitpost Enchantment page

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Oct 25, 2008 12:37 pm 
Strong work you guys. up.gif I'm surprised that that there's no snow up there yet.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 25, 2008 12:39 pm 
That's a really great site Doc. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Oct 26, 2008 5:26 pm 
fantabulous TR and photos, dude, babe, and tom! up.gif up.gif do you need a permit this time of year for the enchantments? no fair that guy brought along his dog.....when you 3 could have included your own mountain 'dogs' ~ keifer, rowena, and jasper!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Oct 26, 2008 6:16 pm 
bcfc53- For dayhiking, only the self-registration permit is needed (at the trailheads). The permit season everyone talks about is for overnight stays, and it is from June 15 through October 15. Since it was the first weekend after the overnight permit wasn't needed, I was originally planning on going solo and camping up there. The Schmidt's eased their way onto my trip and somehow talked me into car camping instead and doing two separate day trips. Car camping morphed into staying at my friend's house (much warmer hockeygrin.gif ). As for the dogs, they survived the weekend just fine. Jasper even met a new cat at my in-laws named Abby. By the end of his visit with her they had achieved some sort of detente. lol.gif

Knows literally nothing
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 2:39 pm 
bcfc53 wrote:
no fair that guy brought along his dog.....when you 3 could have included your own mountain 'dogs' ~ keifer, rowena, and jasper!
Even if I was allowed in the Enchantments, I wouldn't go with Rowena. First she snaps at me over a sandwich on Mt. Aix, then she totally ignores me at Ice Lakes. What a little bitch she is. I'm unsure about Kiefer. She seems nicer, but she's always shaking.