Forum Index > Food & Grub > Logan Bread - Energy Bar Alternative
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Vek

Vek
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 10:02 am 
I saw the post on energy bars - here's an alternative that is homemade and works very well for me. The base recipe, which is common to "logan bread" google hits is as follows: 4 cups water 3.5-4 pounds whole wheat flour 1.5 cups canola oil 16 oz honey 16 oz molasses 4 oz powdered milk 1 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons baking soda To slow down the digestion rate a bit, I modify the recipe as follows: *Substitute 4-lb mixture of steel cut oats, cracked red wheat, and wheat flour for the 4-lb of straight wheat flour. *Reduce liquid sweetener amount from 32 oz to 24 oz - use 12 oz brown rice syrup, and 4 oz each of honey, agave nectar, and molasses. Bake at 300 for an hour, then 175-200 for a while, until you reach a desired firmness. The bars will further firm up as they cool. You don't want them dry as popcorn farts. I add varying amounts of nuts, raisins, and dried cranberries as available. Don't get too hung on quantities, but don't screw too much with the baking powder content - you don't want them to "rise" or fluff up like cake, or they'll dry out too much. This will make a huge amount - two household cookie-sheets of bars about 3/4" to 1" thick. For your first time through, I'd recommend a half or quarter recipe until you get the taste right. I follow the recipe above with my listed modifications pretty close, and you end up with a bland-ish but pleasant tasting bar that is way better to me than a clif or power bar. Very easy to eat, even when very cold.

Jerry V.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 10:26 am 
We made Mt. Logan bread once, it was good for preventing bear attacks because you could throw it at them deadlier than a land mine hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 pm 
Is this like Elven bread? 'Cause I've been looking for Elven bread. huh.gif

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 2:00 pm 
With a name like that it must be good. hockeygrin.gif

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 5:11 pm 
Malachi is right! Logan bread makes a great rock! Actually I used to bake this for long backpacks, when we were carrying a lot more "real" food and before the days of energy bars. I added nuts and dried fruit to the bread. It keeps well, is a bit heavy if you want to go lite, but has good protein/fat/energy mix for heavy work.

Flora
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 5:34 pm 
logan bread = sweetened hardtack.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 pm 
How hard are they? Will the bars break teeth? I don't have dental insurance. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Oct 27, 2008 6:31 pm 
it actually isn't as hard as hardtack, the fat and sugar softens it up a bit...

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 7:43 pm 
Why waste good logan bread to thwart bear attacks. I suggest fruit cake is best. Fruit cake is a two edge sword cuz if you hit the bear with the fruit cake it'll kill em but if you miss and the bear eats the fruit cake, that also will kill em. Fruit cake is easily obtainable around Christmas time, it is often given to grandchildren by their mean grandparents. hockeygrin.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160