Forum Index > Trip Reports > a windy day on Kaleetan Peak 10/26/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Shadow

Shadow
PostTue Oct 28, 2008 1:45 pm 
After last weekends' 18 mile dayhike through the Enchantments, I thought about taking this weekend off but would have hated myself come Monday morning if I didn't get out at least one day with the weather being as great as it was. Back in early September I had been up Kaleetan but the low clouds that day made it impossible to see much of anything but the lakes below and wanted to get back. The clear skies were encouraging but driving through North Bend the wind really started to pick up and gave a hint of what I was in for higher up. After a bit of a late start I made to the TH about 10'ish and was on my way. The winds weren't bad at all along Denny Creek and there were still plenty of fall colors around, maybe not as brilliant as a week or two ago but still a lot of yellows and golds. Definitely worth it to stop on the switchbacks and take a look back down the valley on the way up past Keekwulee Falls and up to Hemlock Pass.
still some fall colors before Hemlock Pass
still some fall colors before Hemlock Pass
Melakwa Lake
Melakwa Lake
The winds were pretty strong at Melakwa and only stayed long enough to snap one picture before heading up the climbers path past the toilet. There was a little relief from the wind on the windward side of the ridge, but once up on the ridge the winds were pretty fierce. There were only a couple small of patches of snow so far on the trail but when the trail starts to drop down the west side there was a fair amount of snow and ice. The footing was slippery enough that I put on my crampons (which was probably overkill) and dropped down a couple hundred feet and could see the way to the summit.
Smmit in sight
Smmit in sight
There rest of the way to the top was mostly snow free but the winds kept getting stronger and stonger the higher up I went. Finally made it to the top a little before 2:00 and spent about 20 minutes trying to find a spot out of the wind but to no avail. It wasn't that cold but I'd guess the winds were gusting up to about 50 mph and just took a few pictures before heading back.
Chair Peak Lake and Snow Lake
Chair Peak Lake and Snow Lake
Chair Peak Lake, Gem Lake, and Glacier Peak in the distance
Chair Peak Lake, Gem Lake, and Glacier Peak in the distance
summit marker
summit marker
Snow Lake with Mt Stuart in the distance
Snow Lake with Mt Stuart in the distance
Gem Lake and Glacier Peak
Gem Lake and Glacier Peak
Melakwa Lake, I-90, and Keechelus
Melakwa Lake, I-90, and Keechelus

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Oct 28, 2008 1:59 pm 
Glad you finally made it up there on a clear day albeit windy! biggrin.gif up.gif I've been meaning to send you the photo I took of you on the summit back in September...I only uploaded a handful of pics from that day. I'll try and upload the one of you tonight. But here's the view you had then, looking down at Melakwa Pass area.
Looing into the precipice, down into Melakwa's basin
Looing into the precipice, down into Melakwa's basin

Opinions expressed here are my own.
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Oct 28, 2008 7:58 pm 
Great trip report and photos. Great job. up.gif up.gif This was my original destination but my buddy had to bail due to family obligations. I will watch the weather for this week.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 2:20 pm 
Looks like a great day. Snow has apparently melted some. It can be windy on the ridges in the pass areas for sure, even if it's dead calm down at the lakes. Now, I definitely have to get up there. Tried twice already in the last month. The first time, my brother and I tried to go up the gully, but had dog/exposure issues in the last steep section before the ridge. The second time, I found the trail, but it was last Wed, right after it snowed, and I didn't have insteps or poles shakehead.gif, and it was late afternnoon.