Forum Index > Trail Talk > Larch or tamarack?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 6:32 am 
Question of the day: what's the difference between a larch and a tamarack tree? Do we have both in Washington state and if so what is the distribution?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 6:36 am 
Larch = tamarack = Larix They're all the same...except there is Subalpine Larch and Western Larch. The larch that you see in the Enchantments, Sawtooth (Chelan) and other areas is the Subalpine (Larix nuttali) version. The larch (tamarack) around Blewett Pass and the Blue Mountains are Western Larch, which grows very tall and straight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larch (website about Western Larch) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subalpine_Larch (website about Subalpine Larch). From living in Eastern Washington, many of the folks there call larches by their common name, Tamarack.

Flora
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 6:51 am 
To confuse the issue: A forester once told me that Tamarak are Eastern Larch and anyone who calls Larix Occidentalis (our lovely western larch. Also found in abundance east of the crest around white pass) tamarak is mistaken. bawl.gif

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"

PostWed Oct 29, 2008 7:27 am 
When I lived in Idaho and Montana it was always called Tamarak. For some reason when I moved to Wenatchee, some people insisted on calling them Larch. These were also the same people that did not realize that Seattle was on the coast AND MOST OF THEM MOVED FROM THERE!!!!

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 8:15 am 
509 wrote:
These were also the same people that did not realize that Seattle was on the coast AND MOST OF THEM MOVED FROM THERE!!!!
That's sorta like those who say Seattle is on the coast. lol.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am 
LizzyBob wrote:
...anyone who calls Larix Occidentalis (our lovely western larch. Also found in abundance east of the crest around white pass) tamarak is mistaken.
That's what I was always my understanding as well. On the east coast, the related tree to our two LARCHES is the Tamarack. It's just one of a number of worldwide species of LARCHES. Westward migrants called them tamaracks because they look similar. ....of course, they're all just common names, which don't mean all that much anyways.

jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 9:14 am 
This might be showing my ignorance, but can you purchase larches and grow them at lower elevations? If so, do you know where?

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
BulgarianInWA

BulgarianInWA
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 11:46 am 
You can certainly grow them at sea level, I've seen several in Seattle, for example, the Arboretum. Not alpine of course - just occidental. I don't know if you can purchase them though. I suggest you call the Arboretum and the Forest Service for suggestions.

Балканът пее хайдушка песен
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 12:49 pm 
509 wrote:
These were also the same people that did not realize that Seattle was on the coast AND MOST OF THEM MOVED FROM THERE!!!!
Last I checked, Seattle was pretty far inland of the coast. confused.gif

dRoberts

dRoberts
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 12:59 pm 
hmm..is seattle not on 'a' coast? Maybe not on the pacific ocean coast but the Puget Sound Coast or shoreline... Noun 1. The shoreline or oceanfront. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/coast

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Rom. 1:20
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 pm 
There's only one name for all of these trees: Firewood. biggrin.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 1:08 pm 
Magellan wrote:
509 wrote:
Last I checked, Seattle was pretty far inland of the coast. confused.gif
Seattle is only 30 minutes in any direction from the United States. wink.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 1:15 pm 
The coast, the coast? Weren't we talking about tamarack?

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 1:21 pm 
Yes you can buy some around here. I have a European larch now 30ft high, It just doesn't turn that bright yellow like the ones on the eastern slopes. Transplanting those is not easy. As a place that has some. http://forestfarm.com/search/search.asp?aPage=1&index=genus&field-keywords=Larix&Go.x=5&Go.y=15

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 4:32 pm 
You could also check with your local Washington Native Plant Society for nurseries that specialize in native plants. I think there is one in the Gig Harbor area, for example. And I have seen larch growing in Tacoma! On the Tacoma Community College campus. Just searched the Internet for "Tamarack". Apparently the Latin name is Larix laricinia. They grow primarily in Canada and NE USA and are especially cold hardy: http://forestry.about.com/library/tree/bltam.htm So there are larches and Tamaracks and some are larches and some are Tamaracks. Are you confused now?

Flora