Forum Index > Trail Talk > Larch or tamarack?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostWed Oct 29, 2008 5:26 pm 
Magellan wrote:
509 wrote:
These were also the same people that did not realize that Seattle was on the coast AND MOST OF THEM MOVED FROM THERE!!!!
Last I checked, Seattle was pretty far inland of the coast. :confused:
Voice of America use to have a show that they called the news in SLOW ENGLISH. So here goes.... Tamarack is a term used by people east of the Cascade Crest for Larix Occidentalis People from west of the Cascades always refer to it as Larch or in some cases western Larch. People from eastern Washington consider Seattle part of the coast. Most people from western Washington consider Long Beach the coast. It is all a matter of your perspective!!

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtnrider

mtnrider
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 5:36 pm 
There is a beautiful western larch growing down the road from us. It is about fifty feet tall. Then there is the western larch I purchased through a local (Arlington) nursery and planted here on our five acres north of Arlington. It is over 20 feet tall and is just now turning to a brilliant gold. We tried planting larch "gathered" from various road sides in eastern Washington. None of them made it here in western Washington.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 6:28 pm 
I was born over here, but grew up in Eastern Warshington. So I Talk slowwww. I learned that all the state west of the Cascade Crest Was THE COAST. I am now a coastie, although it would take a while to get to the ocean. Larix Oxidentalis Larix Lyalli Coasties and others move to NE Warshington and think the dormant Larixes are dead, cut them for firewood, and complain about how heavy the chunks are to load.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 7:04 pm 
Magellan wrote:
509 wrote:
These were also the same people that did not realize that Seattle was on the coast AND MOST OF THEM MOVED FROM THERE!!!!
Last I checked, Seattle was pretty far inland of the coast. confused.gif
Seattle is right on the ocean. I classify that as a coast. Bellingham's right on the coast as well - that's just 30 minutes away from where I live.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 7:17 pm 
People in Eastern Washington refer to everything west of the cascade divide as "the dark side".

jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 9:38 pm 
Thanks for the pointers. I will look them up and see about planting some. I have about 15 different type of native trees in the yard I've planted and just hadn't thought of larches.

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 10:23 pm 
I love reading about the old wooden ships that were built in the 1800's and the books referring to their construction mentions "Hackmatack knees" as being the wooden angles holding the deck members to the hull members. These knees were the section of the tree that was cut from the butt and a short section of a heavy root where the wood curves at the ground level. Being confused by that name I and looked it up and sure enough a Hackmatack, Tamarack and a Larch are all the same species. You can add another name to the list for this tree, (not to be confused with the poplar hackmatack....a whole different species). Confused yet ? Here's a little info, Larch info

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostWed Oct 29, 2008 10:38 pm 
hitthetrail wrote:
People in Eastern Washington refer to everything west of the cascade divide as "the dark side".
They call us ' Two o sixers' Since they are ' Five o niners' Larch is a Northwest term/ slang. Everywhere away from the "coast" its all about Tamaracks. There is Tamarack street in Seattle tho...

Ebrace life!
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 6:44 am 
My brother thought that western larch would make an outstanding Christmas tree. He would impress his friends with his unique, yellow, heavily festooned tree. I had the hardest time explaining that by christmas his dream decor would be bald. frown.gif May his lovely Seattle soul rest in peace.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 6:45 am 
Maybe he should check out a Dawn Redwood... biggrin.gif

Flora
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 6:56 am 
Jeff R wrote:
hitthetrail wrote:
They call us ' Two o sixers' Since they are ' Five o niners' Larch is a Northwest term/ slang. Everywhere away from the "coast" its all about Tamaracks. ...
Some of us coasties are three six zeroes. I do not know why the tamarack Larch Larix failed to grow in Seattle, but anytime you transplant, you need to water the transplant for the first year until the roots grow out. I've always threatened to get a tamarack larch larix for a Christmas Tree. No needles to clean up. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 7:15 am 
Dalekz wrote:
Yes you can buy some around here. I have a European larch now 30ft high, It just doesn't turn that bright yellow like the ones on the eastern slopes.
Errrr. ........ "It just doesn't turn that bright yellow" ....... So you got it because its needles fall off? dizzy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 7:57 am 
Scrooge wrote
Quote:
Errrr. ........ "It just doesn't turn that bright yellow" ....... So you got it because its needles fall off?
Actually yes. Hate to say I got it for a Christmas tree 20 years ago before I knew there were different larch varietys--it still had some needles on it-- does turn orange like the ones in the aboretum.

Toni

Toni
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 11:05 am 
I was told this is a Larch/Tamarack tree, taken near Kingston this July 4th. Guess I should have taken a needle shot.

There is no Planet B
dRoberts

dRoberts
PostThu Oct 30, 2008 12:17 pm 
to ward off any more generalities, i might point out the example, I live in Eastern Washington, and i've only heard them referred to as larches, never heard the term tamarack until i went to colorado.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. Rom. 1:20