Forum Index > Trail Talk > snowshoeing in november?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Penceyko

Penceyko
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 8:08 am 
I have never been snowshoeing, but I would like to plan a trip for sometime Thanksgiving week. So I am looking for some recommendations on good first-time locations within a few hours of Seattle. Olympic Peninsula, Alpine Lakes, Rainier, anywhere else. thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 8:58 am 
Usually there's enough snow for a snowshoe trip around that week. Best bet would be to go high for deeper and better snow. Paradise would be a good bet.

ilsa817
Adventure Girl

ilsa817
Adventure Girl
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 pm 
Paradise is nearly perfect - my husband and I often take beginners up there to try the sport. Quite often you will find other people out and about the snow-covered meadows and you are never too far from the rangers in case trouble develops. As you are beginning, I wouldn't tread as far as Panorama Point, but you can easily spend a morning stretching your legs up and down slopes and through snow-covered trees before heading in for some hot chocolate. Another good beginner spot, if there is snow, is the road beyond the visitor center at Hurricane Ridge. Again, there is better access to safety measures - other people and emergency assistance . . . and of course hot chocolate in the VC. My advice is to start slow and gradual and get at least a winter under your belt of exploratory trips before tackling anything you normally would while hiking. This is so you will get to know your equipment and understand how this new terrain reacts. It's a wonderful sport and I welcome you to it.

Better than loafing around Hades.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 6:12 pm 
problem with the hurricane ridge area is distance to the mainland. when there is enough snow to snowshoe, one usually has to call the road info line, i think it's 565 3131 to get a road update, like when and if hurricane ridge road is to open. best bet for you is rainier/baker/etc.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 8:34 pm 
Snow Lake and Commonwealth Basin off Snoqualmie Pass are good bets but may or may not be enough snow that early in the season up there. If there is snow there will be lots of people and a very well defined trail to follow. The trail to Snow Lake is probably the better of the two for a first-timer as it's easier to follow.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Nov 07, 2008 8:37 pm 
If there's snow at Stevens, Skyline Lake would be an easy option - but it should be groomed by a snowcat. Lake Valhalla would also be an option - I think there may be some avy risk though so it would be a good idea to check the avy forecast and carry a beacon/avy gear.