Forum Index > Trip Reports > Esmeralda Peak (11/2/08)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Nov 02, 2008 9:41 pm 
Hey, the weather is not so great. So guess what; it is Teanaway time. Esmeralda Peak was this weeks EastKing victim. Joined by friends Adam (Gimpilator), Quetzal Curttissimo, and Aaron. We decided to head over the pass and try for this peak despite the poor conditions in Seattle. Over the past couple months this idea has worked wonders with all of the trips resulting in much better weather. Well today the weather wasn't the best on the other side of the mountains, but the trip was still very doable. We took the De Roux Creek Trail from the De Roux Campground. The trail follow the creek all the way up. After going about 2 1/2 miles we hit a set of switchbacks. After the second switchback we made our break for the summit via the southwest slope and its sustained 1200 foot YDS Class 2 (bsically unexposed) scree and talus field. Aaron left his poles down on the lower section of trail but did not realize it until much higher up. I gave him one of my poles and he was okay. The scree and some patches off snow slowed us up a little but we made it to the base of the two summits rather easily thanks to Adam's good scouting of the route. We first went up the right summit where despite the map marking it as the summit it didn't have a summit register. We spent a little time and then headed to the true summit (the western one where we found and signed the summit register. Views were limited on the summit but on the way up we saw some decent views of Koppen Mountain and the base of Hawkins Mountain. It would flurry from time to time on the summit but it was clear we were in a weather window. The weather did pick up a little on the way down but luckily after we were of the Class 2 talus and scree. On the way back we stopped by a beautiful waterfall on the De Roux Creek Trail. I am not one for waterfall but this particular one is very special. To me it is a worthy destination in itself. We continued on back where Aaon found his lost pole and headed back to the trailhead. On the way back we saw a group of deer. I took a couple shots of the deer and then we headed out. Overall this trip was a great time. Thanks Aaron, QC, and Gimpilator for coming. Hopefully we can continue the momentum!! up.gif up.gif Here are the pics...
Aaron above the waterfall
Aaron above the waterfall
THe crew having a break on the scramble
THe crew having a break on the scramble
Gimpilator going for the east summit
Gimpilator going for the east summit
Looking down the ridge
Looking down the ridge
West summit from East summit
West summit from East summit
Aaron, Gimpilator, and QC
Aaron, Gimpilator, and QC
Gimpilator, QC, and EastKing
Gimpilator, QC, and EastKing
Koppen Mountain
Koppen Mountain
A worthy destination in it own right!
A worthy destination in it own right!
EastKing at the Waterfall
EastKing at the Waterfall
Deer running in a field
Deer running in a field

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BearQueen
Ready to Go

BearQueen
Ready to Go
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 7:38 am 
Good job crew. I love you EK! Great photos! up.gif up.gif

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one." by John Lennon I hope to do some summits and waterfalls this year with my husband EastKing.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Nov 03, 2008 1:04 pm 
It was great to get some elevation even though the weather wasn't ideal. I was just glad when the rain turned to snow so I could dry out. It was a lot of fun, lets go again soon. Adam

Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostTue Nov 04, 2008 12:28 pm 
great job organizing this trip Don Goyo! a big down.gif to my man Mag for dogging out on us! moon.gif no just kidding 5 days notice was more than enough. this was a really positive trip all things considered looking at the weather it may be our last big boy for a while. i'd love to go back for Koppen + Hawkins especially a great looking mountain.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Nov 04, 2008 11:16 pm 
QC - let me know when you want to try for Hawkins. I'd love to head up that way again.

Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostWed Nov 05, 2008 7:48 am 
will do puzzlr! not sure if we will get another window this year or have to wait until June.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Nov 05, 2008 10:58 am 
EastKing wrote:
Over the past couple months this idea has worked wonders with all of the trips resulting in much better weather. Well today the weather wasn't the best on the other side of the mountains, but the trip was still very doable.
Well it's gotta rain/snow up there sometime eh but the percentages are sure better and often the magnitude of the bad weather somewhat less than over in the Snoqualmie Pass convergent zone.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostWed Nov 05, 2008 11:17 pm 
bikejr wrote:
EastKing wrote:
Over the past couple months this idea has worked wonders with all of the trips resulting in much better weather. Well today the weather wasn't the best on the other side of the mountains, but the trip was still very doable.
Well it's gotta rain/snow up there sometime eh but the percentages are sure better and often the magnitude of the bad weather somewhat less than over in the Snoqualmie Pass convergent zone.
That is definitely true. Time and time again this region has dramatically better weather that the Snoqualmie Region. My recommendation, when the weather is calling for rain, head to the Teanaway.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.