Forum Index > Trip Reports > Picket Pass Traverse 2008, Days 1-3, Into the Pickets
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Nov 17, 2008 6:30 pm 
Gorgeous TR, Matt. Can't wait to see the rest of it..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Nov 17, 2008 6:52 pm 
Unbelieveable and exciting as any reading could ever be!!! Fantastic photos! WOW-Factor: Exquisite and Breathtaking...Xenith-Magnificent! Good Grief, I have no more words left to add.... Can't wait for the remainder of the TR! So many photos need examination and thrill - seeking. I spent several notable days at Whatcom Pass and the ridge top and lakes to the north many years ago. I dreamed of another trip to go to "somewhere over there" up on to Whatcom and beyond on to Challenger. This TR does it all and more...many, many "thank you's". Oh...this is better than Everest could ever be...!!! Oh, did I say, "Super Wow/extrafragalistic expealidocious?" Can't spell my way out of a paper bag, but you get the gist of it!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 2:20 am 
Have any of you ever spent more time writing the trip report than you spent hiking on the trip itself? For a trip of this length (nine days), I wouldn’t have thought that was possible. However, between sorting all the photos and trying to find words for how the trip felt, I think I’m getting close. For this report, I wanted to put in the extra effort to not just tell its events and show its pictures, but also to describe the special moments of the trip and to express the ideas and feelings it inspired in me. Trips in the mountains are best when I don’t let it just be something I saw or did, but I also open myself up to pay deeper attention and let myself be touched and inspired by the experience. Some of that occurs during the trip, and some continues long afterward when I reflect or write about it. So that’s how I ended up writing the long introduction, trying to describe what felt so exciting about the place, and how it aroused my desire to travel through the midst of it and viscerally experience its challenges and joys. And I wanted to recognize some of the classic mountaineering experiences along the way. One such moment was the experience of going through the gateway notch, over the edge, setting out to explore new territory, feeling the thrilling tension of trepidation and eagerness in committing myself to the journey. I left out describing the other classic experience on the first couple days – the tired muscles, blistered feet, aching back, and weary hours of carrying a heavy pack up a long trail to get into a remote area – but that’s also an essential part of the story, the effort invested to get to someplace special. I thought the next segment of the report would be quicker to write, because we were mostly stuck in the clouds and didn’t go very far. But then I realized that those days also included some classic mountaineering experiences, especially in the Pacific Northwest - the experience of time secluded in a fuzzy womb of clouds, and the experience of clouds opening up to unveil a glorious world that was hidden all around you. Hopefully the next segment will be ready in a couple more days.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
hikermike

hikermike
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 9:37 pm 
Xcellent report....looks like it's gettin darn crowded up therre!

geobob

geobob
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 10:57 pm 
God, I love the Pickets...awesome photos..great TR. Not much compares! Thanks for the post!

I think there's an easier way on the far side
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostSun Jul 12, 2009 9:54 pm 
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a trip report, I can't believe I missed this previously. Fantastic job. This has been on my list ever since seeing the Pickets, I suppose it will take me as long to put together a crew but someday. Well done. mbg

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 8:36 pm 
Love the TR, Matt... Great writeup and pictures so far. Can't wait to see the rest. wink.gif Edit: Just found the posts for Days 4-5 and Day 6. Looks like I have more reading to do... agree.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short