Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dosewallips River trail 02-05-11 (Olympics)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 am 
I've been absurdly busy the past few months and my outdoor time has been limited to a few hours here and there. February 5 was no exception, but thankfully my daughter was available to head out with me for a few hours in the afternoon for some photographry along the Dosewallips River. The plus side of working so much is that I was able to talk myself into buying a spendy new camera, lens and tripod back in December. The minus side is that I've not had too much opportunity to learn the myriad features. Weather service radar images Saturday AM indicated light precip over the northeastern Olympics but a possible rain shadow over the central eastern Olympics, so we took off for the Dosewallips around 11. I first hiked the Dose at age 13 back in 1963 on the way to a successful ascent of Mount Anderson via the Hayden Pass-Eel Glacier bushwhack route, an experience that hooked me on mountaineering in general and the Olympics in particular ever since. Until yesterday, the lower Dose had always been terrain to be traversed as rapidly as possible, on the way to somewhere else. The last such time had been two years ago carrying a heavy load on the way to climb Inner Constance. February 5 would be different, though, as we planned just to go the 1.6 miles to Elkhorn Camp, devoting lots of time to photography. True to the NWS radar images, there was light precip through Quilcene, past Mount Walker and all the way to Brinnon. As we drove up the Dosewallips road, though, the precipation stopped and the sky turned brighter, though it was still gray. The blockage before the washout has been repaired and we were able to drive all the way to the road end at the major washout, 5.5 miles from the Dose Ranger Station, arriving around noon. Only one other car at the TH. There was one blowdown across the up-and-over trail that bypasses the major washout. Otherwise the trail was fine up to Elkhorn. Temps were moderate and we had no rain or mist during our time along the Dose. We got a bunch of photos and had a very enjoyable couple of hours.
Road end
Road end
mossy forest
mossy forest
Happy hiker
Happy hiker
Washout
2 labels
Washout
Fog across the river
Fog across the river
Edge of the cutbank
Edge of the cutbank
Near edge of cutbank
Near edge of cutbank
photographing rapids
photographing rapids
Mossy rocks
Mossy rocks
White water
White water
Water and rock
Water and rock
Dose 1
Dose 1
Dose 2
Dose 2
Dose 3
Dose 3
Buried table at Elkhorn Camp
Buried table at Elkhorn Camp
Moss tree 1
Moss tree 1
Photographer and tree
Photographer and tree
River and trees
River and trees
Photographing mossy trees
Photographing mossy trees
Tried out the video function on my camera, first with a tripod at the rapids downriver from Elkhorn and then handheld with unstable footing at Elkhorn. The whitewater is overexposed in the rapids video and the Elkhorn footage is jerky due to unstable footing and inexperience on my part. The vid clips do give some idea, though, of how pleasant it was to be on the shores of the Dosewallips yesterday.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Phil

Phil
PostSun Feb 06, 2011 6:53 pm 
I'm liking the colors in 'river and trees'. So blue! Not so sure about that dodgy character in the cutbank shot. wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message