Forum Index > Trip Reports > N.W. Hikers Assault Mt. Stillaguamish - 11-15-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Nov 15, 2008 11:20 pm 
How many N.W. Hikers does it take to make a decision on where to hike? (Careful, this is a trick question - answer is buried in this report - a pretty pathetic way to get you to read the whole thing!) Well, for this fine day, the agreement was to meet at the trailhead at 9:00 a.m. Well, you would have thought this was a convention of N.W. Hikers!
NW Hikers galore!
NW Hikers galore!
Let's see, there was Bob and Kolleen (Trailpair); Mark and Joanna (Bad Dog - with two Bad Dogs); Steve; Carla (Dicey), who was extremely focused on left over Trick or Treat candy provided by the driver - little did we know, that this would turn into a real problem - that we had no idea how serious - more on that later; Jim K; Barry (Middle E) and the Driver - and, of course, Gus. But wait, what's this? Jasper and his folks, Dani and GeoTom, joined by Loki and Loki's dad - however, they were headed to Forgotten, while the rest of us were on a mission for Stillaguamish. We were underway about 9:15 a.m.
Trailhead Nov. 15, 2008
Trailhead Nov. 15, 2008
The weather was much more promising than predicted - with blue sky and sun making a showing. This trail starts out in trees - with lots of fallen leaves.
Heading out
Heading out
Autumn remains along Forgotten Trail
Autumn remains along Forgotten Trail
Before long, you break out and cross a couple of avalanche chutes filled with rocks. The heavy rains of the past week were obvious with the swollen streams and numerous waterfalls - very pretty. I'm sure others in the group have better pictures then I do of the falls and streams. As we traveled on toward Perry Falls, we turned back and had great views of Hall Peak to the west.
Hall Peak from Forgotten trail
Hall Peak from Forgotten trail
Fearing that the notorious National Weather Service 11:00 a.m. weather system would haunt us one more time, we watched the clouds moving around. There was no wind and the skies to the west and north looked good. We were hopeful. By the time we reached the Perry Creek crossing (the falls were running fast and furious), we all had warmed up considerably - probably from the quick pace we had set. The crossing wasn't too difficult.
Mark, Joanna and Bob crossing creek with Holly
Mark, Joanna and Bob crossing creek with Holly
Dani and Jasper crossing the Stillaguamish Creek
Dani and Jasper crossing the Stillaguamish Creek
Once on the other side, there was a quick snack break and more Halloween candy. shakehead.gif We then started the steady climb up towards the ridge. We would peel off from the Mt Forgotten trail just before reaching the meadows and instead, head almost due north up towards the ridge to begin our traverse towards Stillaguamish. We were back in the forest at this point and would remain in the trees for more than a mile as we climbed. Snow began to appear at about 4800' - not bad until we broke out onto a side hill that had just enough snow covering some long grass to make it really slippery and not enough snow to kick some solid steps.
Slippery slope
Slippery slope
Dicey side-hilling towards meadows on Stillaguamish trail
Dicey side-hilling towards meadows on Stillaguamish trail
Barry just below the meadows
Barry just below the meadows
Sperry, Vesper and Morning Star to the south
Sperry, Vesper and Morning Star to the south
Right around this point, Mark and Joanna turned back. At the meadows, we grabbed a quick bite and more Halloween candy eek.gif , then continued on the remaining mile toward Stillaguamish. Some great views from this spot! Jim K opted to stay here and wait for us since he wasn't feeling so hot.
Pugh, Forgotten and Glacier Peaks
Pugh, Forgotten and Glacier Peaks
Carla with Glacier backdrop
Carla with Glacier backdrop
Our destination - Stillaguamish
Our destination - Stillaguamish
We would gain and lose elevation, including one particular short, steep slope.
Coming down slick slope on the way to the summit block
Coming down slick slope on the way to the summit block
Barry and Carla heading towards summit
Barry and Carla heading towards summit
Barry and Gus heading towards summit block
Barry and Gus heading towards summit block
As you approach the summit block, there is a "notch" to the south that you crest and drop down to make the summit via a traverse. The only problem today was the fact that there was just enough snow to be really slick and potentially dangerous to attempt to drop down a short, steep slope in order to reach the traverse. We all agreed that this probably wasn't the best day to try and do the remaining 150' to the summit. Disappointed, but none-the-less pretty happy with how well the weather turned out today, there was time for a group shot.
Motley crew just short of the summit
Motley crew just short of the summit
And, just so Jim K would know that we didn't forget him . . . .
Assuming the Jim K pointing position
Assuming the Jim K pointing position
Carla, Barry, Gus and the driver remained at the notch to grab a bite to eat - with MORE Halloween candy hmmm.gif while Trail Pair headed back toward the meadows to meet up with Jim. It was downright balmy! cool.gif On our way back we took a little detour to get some additional views - looking down on the lakes below, along with a lovely view of Mt. Baker and points north. What a spectacular day with great clouds!
South and Pemmican Lakes
South and Pemmican Lakes
Mt. Baker in the distance from ridge leading to Stillaguamish
Mt. Baker in the distance from ridge leading to Stillaguamish
As we were heading down from the meadows and back along the slippery sidehill slope, who should we run into? None other than Geo Tom and Loki's Dad. Seems Forgotten wasn't a great destination either today - so they thought they would head towards at least the meadows below Stillaguamish. Dani had gone back to the car with Jasper. We exchanged notes on the day's adventure and headed on our way. We got back into the trees off of the slippery slope, when we heard someone calling out. Jim was rear flank and came upon two folks, and, what's this? Another NW Hiker! Franklin (FWB2) and a friend from Vancouver, B.C. Now, this is just scary to have this many NW Hikers out loose! paranoid.gif And, by the way, how many NW Hikers does it take to make a decision on where to hike? None, they never CAN make a decision! lol.gif winksmile.gif So, they joined us for the trip out - which, as Jim K aptly put it, the trip in is 5 miles, the trip out is 6 miles! dizzy.gif agree.gif It always seems like a longer distance going back to the car! We got back around 4:00 p.m. - barely before dark - these shorter daylight hours suck! bawl.gif Dani was back at their car with Jasper. Great day, with great company! up.gif up.gif Stats: 10 miles roundtrip; 3600' of gain. Oh, and sadly, we had to do an intervention on Dicey and perform CPC (Carla Portion Control) - we had to physically pry her fingers from the bag of candy before this tragic photo was taken.
Trick or Treat - Hypoglycemic shock
Trick or Treat - Hypoglycemic shock
She is headed for treatment tomorrow. tongue.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Nov 15, 2008 11:23 pm 
Funny stuff! As the days get shorter, so do the TR's. This one has it all: Hiking, uncertainty, and addict misery. up.gif up.gif

JimK

JimK
PostSat Nov 15, 2008 11:30 pm 
That Steve was Steve Fox. He only went to the ridge as he had to be back in town early.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Nov 15, 2008 11:52 pm 
Great entertainment! I need something to read since the DVD we rented for the evening was cracked and unplayable. I'm certain your TR was better written than "Jumper" anyhow. Thanks for filling in my Sat evening ~Jo

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 1:06 am 
Re: N.W. Hikers Assault Mt. Stilliaguamish 11/15/08
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Oh, and sadly, we had to do an intervention on Dicey and perform CPC (Carla Portion Control) - we had to physically pry her fingers from the bag of candy before this tragic photo was taken.
shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif I can't believe you people! Are you CPC certified? It doesn't seem likely, given how late your intervention was! You're lucky things didn't get a lot worse. All this could have been easily avoided with some training. Please take the time to educate yourselves so you are all better prepared next time to handle this treacherous part of hiking.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 1:18 am 
lmao!!! good stuff, wish i could have been there! dicey does like her "sugar" lol.gif up.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 1:36 am 
the lykkens wrote:
Great entertainment! I need something to read since the DVD we rented for the evening was cracked and unplayable. I'm certain your TR was better written than "Jumper" anyhow. Thanks for filling in my Sat evening ~Jo
Jo - This group is always entertaining - you never know what to expect! Darn, now I wish I had the video portion of the "intervention" - it would most definitely have replaced Jumper!!! lol.gif
Yana wrote:
I can't believe you people! Are you CPC certified? It doesn't seem likely, given how late your intervention was! You're lucky things didn't get a lot worse. All this could have been easily avoided with some training. Please take the time to educate yourselves so you are all better prepared next time to handle this treacherous part of hiking.
Well, Jim K said he had had training on corn dog purging; and I could have sworn that Kolleen said she knew a raw food antidote. Don't judge us too harshly - - - we tried to be gentle, but firm. But she did wig out a bit. We are hopeful . . . . Our thought was that Wild Turkey, I mean Cold Turkey would be the best cure. agree.gif whaambulance.gif rotf.gif

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 8:00 am 
Wait, who went where now? dizzy.gif I think this trip report needs a flow chart! Great trip, wish I could have joined! I should be back in the mountains with you guys again soon.

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 10:18 am 
Yes, it was an entertaining outing even though we didn't quite make the summit. As a famous general once said, "I shall return..." On the approach.
Jim coming across the slope
Jim coming across the slope
Suzanne, Mt. Forgotten and Glacier Pk
Suzanne, Mt. Forgotten and Glacier Pk
Carla with Glacier Pk. behind
Carla with Glacier Pk. behind
The infamous summit.
Stillaguamish in the distance
Stillaguamish in the distance
Stillaguamish summit - too slippery today
Stillaguamish summit - too slippery today
On a more serious note...the perils of addiction. dizzy.gif
Just say NO
Just say NO

pithy yet insightful signature
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 am 
I noticed 2 Dots boxes in the picture with Carla in the car. eek.gif This is where she made the biggest mistake of a true addict, she ate multiple snack sized Dots boxes. frown.gif Dots are very powerful, despite thier diminuitive size, and must be consumed with the utmost care and respect. Being a recovering Dots addict myself, I can easily recognize another fallen star. Heres hoping for a speedy recovery, at least before next Halloween. smile.gif

Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 1:31 pm 
Hefe!
It seems Forgotten was not meant to be! Now we carry the weight of a gorilla on our back as Scott put it concerning that peak! No worries it was still a great day and it was nice running into everyone. It was down to Scuttlebut brewrey for us. Love their Hefeweizen down there! --------------

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 1:32 pm 
captain jack wrote:
I noticed 2 Dots boxes in the picture with Carla in the car. eek.gif This is where she made the biggest mistake of a true addict, she ate multiple snack sized Dots boxes. frown.gif Dots are very powerful, despite thier diminuitive size, and must be consumed with the utmost care and respect. Being a recovering Dots addict myself, I can easily recognize another fallen star. Heres hoping for a speedy recovery, at least before next Halloween. smile.gif
Actually, CJ, this is where she made her biggest mistake - there may have been some hope had she opted for the DOTS and Squittles. But, oh no, she had to inhale all of the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers, Baby Ruths, Butterfingers, etc. etc. shakehead.gif I heard her muttering, "I'm leaving the CRAP candy for Suzanne." Nice Carla, real nice! lol.gif rant.gif

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 2:43 pm 
Opus wrote:
Wait, who went where now? dizzy.gif I think this trip report needs a flow chart!
Well, luckily, the NWHiker tracking chips have been installed, so I was able to pull the latest tracking data, so this should help:
Perry Creek Tracking Data
Perry Creek Tracking Data

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Nov 16, 2008 5:58 pm 
We still can't believe how great the weather turned out on Saturday! Here are a few of our photos:
Bob
Bob
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
Glacier close up.
Glacier close up.
Bob and Jim
Bob and Jim
Dickerman, Sperry, Vesper and Big Four
Dickerman, Sperry, Vesper and Big Four
Tip of Mt. Forgotten
Tip of Mt. Forgotten
Three Fingers and White Horse through the notch
Three Fingers and White Horse through the notch
Jim K
Jim K

This thing called work is interfering with my play
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Nov 17, 2008 6:46 pm 
Nice seeing you there. Hopefully dicey recovered from the candy. Rather than start a new TR, I'll add some of my photos. A mix of my point and shoot Canon and Dani's Uncle's Nikon D40 which he is letting me try out. It was the maiden voyage for it with me as captain. I like it so far.
Perry Creek Trail
Perry Creek Trail
Mt. Forgotten with Whitechuck Mountain to the left
Mt. Forgotten with Whitechuck Mountain to the left
Those are for me mom!
Those are for me mom!
Almost to Mt. Forgotten Meadows
Almost to Mt. Forgotten Meadows
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Mt. Forgotten
Mt. Forgotten
Bad Dog holding Holly
Bad Dog holding Holly
Descending through Mt. Forgotten Meadows
Descending through Mt. Forgotten Meadows
Glacier Peak over frozen tarn
Glacier Peak over frozen tarn
Almost Winter
Almost Winter
Pugh to Glacier
Pugh to Glacier
Mt. Forgotten and Glacier Peak
Mt. Forgotten and Glacier Peak
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
Stillaguamish Peak
Stillaguamish Peak
Mt. Forgotten has become a monkey on my back. A trip on July 4th, 2007 resulted in me stopping after the meadows due to too much snow and no ice axe. This time it was just too slick with the few inches of snow, slush and occasional ice in the shadows over angled talus slopes that stopped me. It has become an 800-lb gorilla for Scott (Loki's dad). He has been turned back 4 times (mostly weather related) so far. We won't forget to summit next time. hockeygrin.gif

Knows literally nothing