Forum Index > Trip Reports > Nov. 18, 2008 Estes L.O. 5397', Estes Butte 5957'
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 6:59 pm 
Estes Butte
Estes Butte
Just want to get this up quick in case anyone is looking for a mostly snow free hike to some awesome views, before the weather changes. Snow didn't start until about 5100 ft. It was crusty and 6 to 8 inches deep. Between the two high points the trail was about 60% snowcovered. Views of 7500 to 9000 ft peaks all around! I'll give some more details later. Dinnertime and a bath for now. I will be buying a new camera soon! J

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 7:10 pm 
John, I love Estes Butte. Years ago when PiB and I were camped at Li'l Giant Pass, I espied a funny-looking summit and thought to myself, "go get it." So I did. Of course it was the hottest day of the year (2004 I think). Anyway, I love the upper portion of the forest; the lower portion is crowded, unhealthy looking, waist-deep in deadfall. But that summit, wowzers, what a place, no? I'd like to run that ridge, but haven't got around to it yet. I'd like a partner when I do that trip, as I understand there may be some route finding issues. I mean, it's a ridge, how hard can it be - but I like to have someone along if there's any off-trail or abandoned trail to deal with. Maybe it's time the Washington Trails Foundation (WTF) set up an appeal to get a camera for you. It would be classified as a service to hikers, afterall.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 8:42 pm 
John, you're a machine! EDIT: Good thing I've already selected tomorrow's destination, with firm resolution this time. Firm, as in can't be tempted by a new TR from you. Nope, not tempted. Not one bit. Yep, firmly resolved... Hmmmm... then again... a lookout, a traverse to a 2nd high point... views all around... (Aside): Say gals, how 'bout Estes Butte instead? biggrin.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 9:19 am 
Quark wrote:
John, I love Estes Butte. Anyway, I love the upper portion of the forest; the lower portion is crowded, unhealthy looking, waist-deep in deadfall. But that summit, wowzers, what a place, no? .
Astute observation, Q! While I was coming down myself, I was pondering the processes in which created the conditions that forest is in. I was thinking that perhaps a stand replacement fire went through the slope about hundred years ago or so. All of the regrowth seems to be near uniform aged Douglas fir, as if they took hold after a clearing event. If that were true then perhaps the deadfall is a result of the increasing competition and the shade created from the even aged stand of the monoculture Doug fir forest itself. Many of the standing trees seem to be healthy. And I agree about the upper stands. They are neat and diverse with a large number of healthy western white pines which I always enjoy seeing with their whispy soft green needles. just some thoughts to ponder! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.