Forum Index > Trip Reports > If you weren't on Mt Pilchuck on Sunday....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Nov 17, 2008 9:01 pm 
...then you missed a lot.biggrin.gif The sunset was magnificent. cool.gif The wind was howling. breakdance.gif The beverages were flowing. drink.gif It was a grand day! hihi.gif I won't bore you with any details, except a few: no snow at all, road and trail in great condition, we (me, Yetiman, Daisy) started up at 9 am, reached the top at 11:30, left at 5 pm, got back at 7. We found a cool place to hang out, around the rocky spire just a few yards east of the lookout. It had sunshine, shelter from the wind, fantastic views, and privacy from the hordes. The hordes were pretty modest actually, considering. If only I had a better camera, a tripod, and more skill as a photographer! If I had those things, the following pictures could make a strong man weep. As it is, they might make a wimpy teenage girl get the sniffles. Sorry.
Morning Clouds
Morning Clouds
Spada Lake
Spada Lake
Mt Pilchuck Lookout
Mt Pilchuck Lookout
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier
Mt Baker
Mt Baker
Daisy and Yetiman
Daisy and Yetiman
Puget Sound Sunset
Puget Sound Sunset
Sun and Clouds
Sun and Clouds
Sunset Sound
Sunset Sound
Pastel Sunset
Pastel Sunset

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Nov 17, 2008 9:03 pm 
Nice work Sluggo. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jennifer S.

Jennifer S.
PostMon Nov 17, 2008 10:10 pm 
Your pics are great!

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Nov 17, 2008 10:15 pm 
You were at the summit for more than 5 hours? WOW! It must have been nice! Beautiful pastel sunset up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 12:12 am 
Beautiful Shots Slugman!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 2:07 am 
Yes, 5 + hours at the summit. We had two picnics, took lots of pictures, went up to the lookout for a while, which required some effort to get the dog up the rocks and ladder, and did some exploring. Just before the last climb to the lookout, a foot path goes to the right, with nice views over towards the lakes that shall not be named. We brought plenty of warm clothing and ended up wearing it all. By the time we got back to the car, I was down to t-shirt and shorts again. My camera has only a 3X optical zoom, with an adapter to boost it to 4.5X, so I wasn't able to really zoom in on the mountains or the sunset reflecting off the sound. It's a shame, really, since what we saw was so much more spectacular than the photos show. The low wispy fog that infiltrated every fold and valley of the Olympics was great, but when the light of the setting sun lit it up just right, it took our breath away. I also enjoyed the play of light and shadows on the flanks of Baker and Glacier.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 6:55 am 
Morning Clouds
Morning Clouds
up.gif

Knows literally nothing
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 9:22 am 
Lovely pics - sounds like a great way to spend the day!

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 8:05 pm 
Bravo, Sluggo! Daisy seems very patient with you and Yetiman. How did she do on the steps to the Lookout? I dared not take my pups up the ladder...they just waited with patience. Pre-canine era, I would head up to summit and gamble I'd get the lookout for the night. Usually, I did! The sunrises are forever ingrained in my memory! So, yes, I was there more than 5 hours at a time! However, one time was a 4th of July visit that wore me out and left me ill...way too much snow, that year...the lookout was barely visible in a few places; the rest was an ice cream cone gone wild! Did go up several times for mid-winter visits back in 70's. I'd never think of that again! If you do go, take all the snow and ice cutting tools, you'll need them to cut steps up and up....

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 18, 2008 8:36 pm 
Daisy is no rock climber. We basically had to carry her up, which was made easier by the harness that holds her pack on. It gives a three-point attachment to the dog, and a "suitcase handle" for the human to lift by. Yeti would go first, I would help the dog up, then he would haul her up by the handle on the harness. Repeat as necessary. Luckily this stretch is only a dozen yards or so. As far as her being patient with us hanging around so long, all I can say is "I wish!" She whined the whole time, wanting to play with a stick or something, but we were right next to a cliff, so no play time. Part of it was the "Yeti effect". Daisy loves Yetiman so much that she acts like a teeny-bopper around a pop star. It's kind of sweet but can also be annoying. If he moves ten feet away she panics. In the picture where he is on the rocks taking pictures, the dog was practically having a conniption fit. I have spent the night at two lookouts, Park Butte and Hidden Lake, but never Mt Pilchuck. Since I have Sun-Mon-Tues off each week, I'll probably do it someday on a Monday night to reduce competition for the lookout. Spending the night on the summit of a mountain is one of my favorite things to do, and having a lookout sure makes it more comfortable. A couple of good places to do it without a lookout are Hannegan Peak and Tumac Mtn.