Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grand Teton NP 9/27 - 10/1/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Don

Don
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 9:55 pm 
This last October I took my dad back to Grand Teton National Park for fall colors. It was a challenge planning such a trip around the peak of fall colors. I relied on many sources residing in Wyoming as to current conditions and hoped I could trust their observations. It became very clear that colors were behind schedule this year, so a week before we were scheduled to depart, I postponed the trip. Of course, as soon as I did this, I began noticing that the weather window was coming to an end in the extended forecast. The result? Dad received a phone call from me Friday afternoon informing him that we would be leaving in the morning and that he should begin packing! Dad is a planner and this set him into panic mode (like I was far from it). Considering the short notice, I think we did pretty well. We only forgot food items that were readily available in Jackson, and we compiled our list during our drive! We left early Saturday morning and drove east on I-90. Our adventures began right away when we stopped for gas in Moses Lake. While I was in the store buying a breakfast snack, dad watched a car drive off with the gas nozzle still attach to it. Though it makes sense, I never realized the hoses were breakaway at the pump. The driver stopped, got out, and embarrassedly returned the gas hose and nozzle back to the pump, trying his best to place it so that it looked like nothing had happened. He was a different color of red for sure! I called Alan Bauer a short time down the road and couldn’t stop laughing at his response - “Well, they do things a little differently in Moses Lake…” Nearing Butte, MT worry began to set in. First, Opportunity passed us by: Then Wisdom passed us by: I told dad this was not a good sign! But alas, the worry was for naught, and we arrived at Gros Ventre Campground shortly after nightfall. We had arrived! After setting camp and cooking up dinner, my dilemma was to figure out where to photograph sunrise the next morning without having had any scouting opportunities. Oh, I knew what locations I wanted to photograph on this trip, but I didn’t know much about them to understand where to plant my tripod in total darkness with the confidence that it would be right for the desired composition at first light. After much oscillation, I decided to give Schwabbackers Landing a try. Heck, if I screwed it up, I could always return another morning! Ah, but before I share my adventures, I wish to share those of my poor dad’s: Dad emerged from the tent the first morning to find himself face to face with a bull moose, maybe 50’ away. They stared at each other for some time before he realized that he left his camera in the glove compartment of my truck (I was off photographing sunrise)! Fast forward to the next morning. Dad emerged from the tent wondering what he might see, only to find a cow and calf moose walking through our campsite. He snapped these pictures:
Joke
Joke
Ok, I only loaded one since they all looked the same. Did I mention they were before sunrise? On our departure day, we passed a group of pronghorn antelope near the road. This was the closest we had seen them our entire trip. I was anxious to get going and not motivated to dig my camera gear out. But out of courtesy, I pulled to the side of the road so that dad could snap some pictures. After growing frustrated at why the camera would not work, he discovered that the batteries were indeed dead. I thought he was going to launch the camera into foreign airspace! Wildlife 3, dad 0. Poor guy. Ok, back to my story. I arrived at the Schwabbackers Landing TH at 5:00 am for a 7:20 sunrise. Early enough, right? Hmmm. As I pulled in, I watched a headlamp disappear down the trail. Despite the hour it was time to get moving! As I hiked along the trail in total darkness, I came upon a spot somebody had marked with three photographers and their tripods. I figured this must be the place, so I cozied on up. Sure enough, they spoke! Not soon after, a train of headlamps followed. Things were about to get interesting!
Teton Reflection
Teton Reflection
Teton Reflection
Teton Reflection
Teton Reflection
Teton Reflection
Teton Reflection
Teton Reflection
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Tetons Reflection
Tetons Reflection
Teton Reflection
Teton Reflection
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Despite the crowd of 30 plus photographers, it was a rewarding morning to experience. Later that morning we drove up to Oxbow Bend to check things out. There were many distractions along the way.
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Mount Moran
Mount Moran
The next morning I got an early start, so as to be at Oxbow Bend by 5:30 am for sunrise. I arrived expecting to have to compete for a spot, only to learn that I was first to arrive. In fact, quite some time passed before the next photographer arrived. I had scouted the area the day prior, but in total darkness couldn’t remember the exact spot I wanted to place my tripod. I set it up in the general area, figuring I would adjust as morning light approached. Soon another photographer arrived, noted a landmark near my feet, took two carefully calculated steps to his left, and said “there!” while planting his tripod. I slid next to him. As it turned out, exact location didn’t really matter this morning, and I developed some good friendships amongst several other photographers. It was a festive mood and time went by way too fast.
Mount Moran
Mount Moran
Mount Moran
Mount Moran
Mount Moran Reflection
Mount Moran Reflection
Mount Moran Reflection
Mount Moran Reflection
Mount Moran Reflection
Mount Moran Reflection
Mount Moran Reflection
Mount Moran Reflection
I returned to camp via the tourist route, and even visited Mormon Row along the way. One thing that was interesting about the Tetons – late morning light is much better than early morning light in the fall.
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton
Grand Teton & Ranch
Grand Teton & Ranch
Grand Teton & Ranch
Grand Teton & Ranch
Grand Teton above Mormon Row
Grand Teton & Ranch
Grand Teton & Ranch
I returned to camp to learn that my altimeter watch with the broken wrist strap that I was carrying in my pocket was missing. I had lost it at Oxbow Bend at some point. I needed a time piece in order to know what time to get going in the morning. I asked dad if he would mind placing his watch in the tent loft so that I could view it in the morning (I am typically awake and don’t need an alarm, only something to reference). He agreed. My destination the next morning was the Snake River Overlook. It was fairly close by, but I couldn’t predict the crowds and figured I should arrive early for safety’s sake. I awoke around 4:00 am to use the restroom, and then returned to the tent. Soon I heard vehicles and people. This was strange. I had always been the first to leave the campground in total silence the previous mornings. But dad’s watch showed only 5:00 amish. The noises increased. A look at the watch showed 5:30. Deciding I couldn’t sleep anymore and that I would rather be hanging out waiting for sunrise, I decided to get going. As I emerged from the tent, panic struck. The horizon was lit up. Not possible! Flashback: Last year my dad and I visited the Wind River Range. Dad refused to set his watch to Mountain Time, and we suffered the results many times. Flash forward: I made a point to reset my watch in Idaho to Mountain Time, and instructed him to do the same, reminding him of our misfortunes. He did. Or did he? His watch was exactly two hours off, as if he tried to adjust it the night prior, but in the wrong direction! I will leave my expletives to the imagination! Back to my story: Casualness rapidly transgressed to panic while unloading the truck of food related items (bear regulations) and loading it with my needed gear. I arrived at the Snake River Overlook in ample time and to find a mostly empty parking lot. As incredible of a view as it is, I can’t say the photography impressed me much considering the conditions. As had been the duration of the trip, the sky was cloudless. The overlook needs drama in the sky in order to work, IMO. I returned via Mormon Row, an enticing area that was growingly interesting to me.
Grand Teton & Ranch
Grand Teton & Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Tetons above Fence
Tetons above Fence
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Tetons above Fence
Tetons above Fence
Tetons and Horses
Tetons and Horses
Tetons and Horses
Tetons and Horses
Tetons above Horses
Tetons above Horses
Tetons and Horses
Tetons and Horses
I returned to camp to a smirking, yet concerned dad. He asked, “You were late, weren’t you?” It turned out that his batteries were dying and his watch was even further off. Later that morning we returned to Oxbow Bend for late morning photography.
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspens
Mount Moran and Aspens
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspens
Mount Moran and Aspens
Horseback Riders and Tetons
Horseback Riders and Tetons
Horseback Rider and Tetons
Horseback Rider and Tetons
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran in Fall
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspen
Mount Moran and Aspen
I spent our final morning at Mormon Row for sunrise before our departure. My timepiece? My Camera. Go figure.
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Grand Teton above Ranch
Here are some wildlife images from our experiences in the area. The highlight was picking my dad up from a solo hike at Jenny Lake. En route, I witnessed a bull elk and his harem in a meadow. Upon picking dad up and returning to the scene, we got to experience something amazing. Another bull elk stole some cows from his harem. A rut ensued. Upon winning the rut, the victorious bull had to collect his harem. He lost one in the process to a distant bugling elk, who she felt was more deserving of her affections. It was incredibly interesting to watch, and probably a once in a lifetime experience.
Bison
Bison
Bison
Bison
Bison
Bison
Bison
Bison
Bison
Bison
Pronghorn Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Pronghorn Antelope
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rutting Elk
Rutting Elk
Rutting Bulls
Rutting Bulls
Rutting Bulls
Rutting Bulls
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk
In closing, I would like to thank my dad for a wonderful trip, and share the hope that we can do something similar again very soon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 10:13 pm 
Awesome pictures! What a cool thing to do with Dad....I may have to forward this to my kids...............

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 pm 
Great pictures! up.gif I made Yellowstone this past fall but did not have time to make Tetons. Now I see I missed quite a bit. Next weekend surprise for my family is there in the spring.

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 10:29 pm 
Just stunning! Great pics and a wonderful story...thanks! up.gif up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 10:43 pm 
Thanks for the stories and pictures Don. Are Rocky Mountain elk more attractive than Washington elk?

geobob

geobob
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 10:48 pm 
Wow! Very nice; and I bet there were no mosquitos (as opposed to summer)! What a great way to spend time with your Dad!

I think there's an easier way on the far side
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 pm 
Entertaining story telling, enjoyed every moment of it. I am currently planning a trip with my parents for next summer, we are all pretty excited already! My last trip with them was a dozen years ago, and we all remember it...one of the moments in my life I'll forever cherish. I am pretty sure you and your dad will do the same with your trip. Beautiful photographs - my favorites:
Don wrote:
Tetons in Fall
Tetons in Fall
Mount Moran
Mount Moran

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Nov 20, 2008 11:51 pm 
Thanks for the report, Don. I liked your stories of the various mornings, and meetings with other photographers setting up. I especially liked the Moran sunrise, some of the ranch photos, and the aspens. I haven't seen any fall photos of the Tetons before.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Don

Don
PostFri Nov 21, 2008 7:18 am 
Thanks everyone.
Magellan wrote:
Thanks for the stories and pictures Don. Are Rocky Mountain elk more attractive than Washington elk?
With the exception of our Roosevelt Elk in the Olympics, our elk are Rocky Mountain Elk. In fact, I would offer the recommendation of visiting the Oak Creek Wildlife Area in Naches in the coming months for excellent elk and big horn sheep viewing opportunities. up.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostFri Nov 21, 2008 9:06 am 
Don wrote:
Nearing Butte, MT worry began to set in. First, Opportunity passed us by: Then Wisdom passed us by:
Growing up I spent two weeks every summer in Montana fishing. My father swears this is a true conversation he had with an "old coot" sitting in front of some old store. Dad: Is this the road to Wisdom? Coot: You damn fool. If I knew the road to Wisdom do you think I'd be sitting here? (Wisdom was one of my favorites because fishing on the Big Hole was so easy and you could catch grayling smile.gif )

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 21, 2008 11:46 am 
Great pics Dono. Sure like all them Elks too. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Nov 21, 2008 2:26 pm 
Crap...Another place to put on my hit list, smile.gif and it's a very long list frown.gif huh.gif up.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostFri Nov 21, 2008 2:44 pm 
Very cool colors and trip! The mountains over there always look impressive.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Nov 21, 2008 5:53 pm 
Grand Teton NP and September rutting season
Don..you are lucky your dad did not get super upset! Imagine trying to sleep in and there you are crawling around at 4 a.m.! How the heck did you survive the drive back to Seattle? My eyelids are so low from just thinking on your wee hour adventures with the dozens of well affected photographers....just crazy! My many, many visits to the Tetons rarely allowed sunrise viewing and I was too young for many of those trips to take the family car to some location to view sunrise. Those locations are classic and truly famous. Your photos are just phenomenal....among the finest I have ever seen...goes to show what patience, stamina and a tripod plus great camera will do...plus the intelligence of the photographer and his or her ability to share space with other camera wizards. Mormon Row...I have B & W photos somewhere of that...complete with local children playing...from the 1960's....where my photos are...hmmm...a lifetime of storage and moving has lost them.... The classic fences are called, "Buck and Pole" and are found in some areas of the Rockies. They are broad enough to keep some animals from leaping yet open enough to allow passage of others. They were fairly easy to maintain and required less wood, a more efficient use of timber, which can be scarce in some areas (like interior Jackson Hole). Many thanks for the story and those magnificent photos. My cousins, none hikers, fell in love with the Tetons, gratus our family and shared vacations in 1950's (one cousin had her family reunion there in late this September at Gros Ventre Ranch!). Once seen during our first trip "West", all other travel around the West was backburnered and we bee-lined to Jackson Hole every year. The place we visited was Double Diamond Ranch, now the Climbers' Camp. The Park took over the site after the Brown Family and Mrs. Brown's father's family (he rode in on a horse pulled wagon as a boy when the family migrated from the MidWest)finally could not hold on to the original settlement from the 1890's. A neighbor, then powerful Senator Joe Clark of Pennsylvania, managed to stave off the inevitable conversion of inholding to public domain, initiated by John D. Rockerfeller in the 1930's, I believe. The Rockerfeller Ranch remains, though it may be public, now. One goes near that by heading to Death Canyon to hike. I never spent a winter visit at the Park but did manage some gorgeous autumns there. However, your photos are truly splendid and portray the magnificence of the place as few ever have (that I have seen). Of course, it is being "in the right place at the right time", but you willed that by those forays into the chilly, pre-dawn to await the splendors that sunrise offered. Kudos!

Don

Don
PostFri Nov 21, 2008 8:46 pm 
Wow, thanks everyone! Moosefish- I was cracking up at the names of those towns! To be honest, I was extremely disappointed when the trend did not continue. It was just such easy comedy! Matt - You would love climbing in the Tetons too, especially Grand. The high camp "facility" in which you are perched on a balcony overlooking Idaho at 12,500'+ (from memory) while you tend to business (or not) is the most incredible place I have witnessed for such. I did the Owen-Spalding route, but would love to do Exum someday. When your list expands... hockeygrin.gif Meanwhile, I am getting extreme enjoyment in reading your Pickets TR. It has been too long since my last visit. Sabahsboy - Where to begin! Yes, those are indeed Buck and Post fences, thank you for the reminder. Honestly, I had this TR in my head during the trip and couldn't wait to pen...er...keyboard it. But I have been so busy that I couldn't get to it, and many stories and points I wanted to share were lost. My dad has been very supportive of my photography during our trips and has been most accomodating. Honestly, I don't think he even heard me get out of the tent except for a single morning. The drive is a long one. I did the entire drive there myself. But the return trip had dad spelling me for an hour or two. Jason - You should consider a ski tour in the Tetons. I wouldn't begin to know logistics of course, but the scenery would be amazing. Mr. Shadow! - Nice Oxbow shot! I like El Grande with more snow on it. Plus you got some clouds in the sky, which I was never fortunate enough to have. I openly laughed with my dad while we were sitting around in short sleeve shirts and 70 degree temps at how funny I found it that we had perfect summer conditions during our visit in OCTOBER, and here I was complaining about the sky conditions! Thank you everyone for your kind words. Sincerely.