Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ozette Triangle - ONP – 01/09/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
half fast

half fast
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 7:15 pm 
Introduction: We had planned to do a snow shoe at Hurricane Ridge but the NWH Resident Lurkers woke up to 1” of snow at their place in Sequim and didn’t want to play at all. The weather was not looking promising on the ridge so bobbi bailed and later sent me a text message that it was snowing in Port Angeles. I had already checked the tides for the day just in case the snow shoe wouldn’t work out, the weather out here right before the earth drops off was sunny, I was already dressed and packed up and sooooo off I went to Lake Ozette and the Ozette Triangle TH. Once again I was blessed with a beautiful bluebird day… biggrin.gif Note: The ranger talked to me before I headed out and warned of the icy conditions of the boardwalk. It had hailed sometime in the night and the four other cars in the TH parking lot still had hail on them. The boardwalk was VERY icy. I used my trekking poles which were a huge help… up.gif Stats: (C. Romano Day Hiking Olympic Peninsula) Dist: 9.4 miles loop hike Elev: 350 ft. gain/loss High Pt: 175 ft. The TH:
TH at the Ozette Ranger Station
TH at the Ozette Ranger Station
I did the loop counter clockwise today but it is great either way. The first point of interest is Ahlstroms Prairie an early homestead site. This is a very beautiful and peaceful site and one of my favorite parts of this trail.
Ahlstroms Prairie
Ahlstroms Prairie
leaving Ahlstroms Prairie
leaving Ahlstroms Prairie
At about 3.3 miles the trail starts its decent to the ocean for your first views...
Ocean views from the hillside just before the Cape Alava TH
I played around a little at the Cape Alava TH before heading South…
Cape Alava TH
Cape Alava TH
Cape Alava TH
Cape Alava TH
Heading south and Wedding Rock…
south towards Wedding Rock
south towards Wedding Rock
South towards Wedding rock
South towards Wedding rock
Makah petroglyph at Wedding Rock
I would have loved to have spent more time here looking for more petroglyphs but as the saying goes… time and tide wait for no man…sorry clown.gif Continuing south and totally enjoying the views…
The tide was coming in rather quickly and I wanted to get past the second point. I made it and found a lunch log to enjoy my Lentil Sheperd’s Pie which was awesome btw… biggrin.gif
lunch time views... looking North
lunch time views... looking North
lunch views... looking South to Sand Point with Sand Point rock on the end
lunch views... looking South to Sand Point with Sand Point rock on the end
lunch time self portrait
lunch time self portrait
Then it was off the the North Sand Point TH…
saying good bye at the TH
One last look at Lake Ozette…
Lake Ozette from the Ozette River bridge
Lake Ozette from the Ozette River bridge
The winter is the best time to do this loop, IMHO anyway, there are less people and there seems to be a bit more sand on the beach. I have to say that I am feeling more than blessed to have had three totally awesome blue bird hikes… on the ocean… and... in January up.gif up.gif FUN: 100%

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 7:33 pm 
Awesome pictures, half fast! cool.gif up.gif We might head that way in Feb agree.gif I'm looking forward to the Oly Coast~!

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
kite

kite
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 7:39 pm 
that just kills me.... Most excellent trip report and very nice images.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 7:54 pm 
are you photoshopping the blue sky on your beach hikes? lol.gif you are just the great weather magnet! it looks like spring time instead of winter! up.gif i was going to give you grief about the 100% fun but it's true, you did have fun, even without the rest of the omg! biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 8:01 pm 
I love that area, love the trails. you sure lucked out on the day and on the tide levels!! Is there anything left of the Ahlstrom homestead? any buildings? anything? I ventured in some years ago but a brief search revealed nothing (I followed a trail further down the main trail, it began in the foliage and then opened up to another cleared area)

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 8:20 pm 
I truly think it's sunny at the coast more often in the winter than summer

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 9:09 pm 
Cool hike. I need to make it out there soon. And I do agree with Matt about the winter being the sunniest time for the coast...and some really colorful sunsets.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
veronika

veronika
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 9:30 pm 
Nice pictures. Glad you had more great weather on the coast! up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
half fast

half fast
PostSun Jan 09, 2011 10:42 pm 
Thanks everyone for your very nice replies... biggrin.gif
bobbi wrote:
...you are just the great weather magnet! it looks like spring time instead of winter! i was going to give you grief about the 100% fun but it's true, you did have fun, even without the rest of the omg!
What can I say bobbi, I did tell you I am "in" with the Shaman... he tells me when to go... lol.gif Oh, I am glad you aren't going to give me a bad time... The Lurkers have bobbi-doll and we have no L n N Lurker-dolls.... ykm.gif
seawallrunner wrote:
...Is there anything left of the Ahlstrom homestead? any buildings? anything? I ventured in some years ago but a brief search revealed nothing (I followed a trail further down the main trail, it began in the foliage and then opened up to another cleared area)
I have not done a lot of exploring trying to find anything of the original homestead. Yes, I took a photo of the other prairie but I did not like the shot so I did not include it. The idea was great... but the reality of the photo... not so great...rotf.gif Matt Lemke... and onemoremile... Not arguing with you here... having done these beach hikes all seasons... I have come to the conclusion that there really is no best time far as the weather goes... and that is why it is sooooooo awesome when you get a blue bird day... biggrin.gif However, I personally prefer hiking them in the winter because there are a lot less people (I saw a couple and two guys at the Cape Alava TH and two other guys at Wedding Rock and no one else the rest of the way... biggrin.gif )... and... the waves are generally larger in the winter as well and I love the waves up.gif up.gif

strider

strider
PostMon Jan 10, 2011 10:37 am 
A close examination using Google Earth clearly shows the trail across the praries, and a couple of buildings about 600 yards North of the trail. There's a thin strip of forest at the N end of the first, larger prarie, then a smaller prarie with two buildings visible, they stand perhaps a hundred yards or so apart. There's a path leading N from the pseudo-campsite in the trees between the two praries the trail crosses. I'd suspect that path would go to the upper prarie, but I haven't walked it myself.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 am 
huh.gif I was invited on a coastal backpacking trip and couldn't go due to classes all weekend. I hate you for posting these. waah.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
tinman

tinman
PostMon Jan 10, 2011 11:07 am 
The buildings that Strider is talking about are the Roose homestead buildings north of Ahlstroms prairie. The trail to there does start on a small rise just before you enter in to Ahlstroms prairie. There is still one building remaining at Ahlstroms, it is on the far west side of the prairie, just after you go through a small patch of trees. It is about 200' north of the trail in the trees. You really have to look for it. (actually, I think you can see it on Google Earth.) A friend of mine remembers Mr. Ahlstrom when he was a kid hiking out to Cape Alava. He said his family gave him all their extra food on their way back from the beach. That was probably in the late '50's.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Jan 10, 2011 12:37 pm 
Did you happen to take a look at the condition of the camping spots when you drove by? Were they flooded? Nice TR. So lucky with the weather too!

half fast

half fast
PostMon Jan 10, 2011 3:25 pm 
strider... and tinman... Thank you for the info. I have not ever roamed around those buildings at all. I do this hike frequently in the winter- the TH is only about 25 min. from my home - I am usually on a mission to do the loop which of course is time/tide sensitive. The next time I do it, I will do some exploring... biggrin.gif
Spotly wrote:
Did you happen to take a look at the condition of the camping spots when you drove by? Were they flooded?...
I do always look as I drive by and there was a bit of water in the CG that day... but, although I did not drive in... it seemed like there were a couple of dry spots.
quark wrote:
I was invited on a coastal backpacking trip and couldn't go due to classes all weekend. I hate you for posting these.
poor quark headrub.gif... sorry you had to be at your classes all weekend... but... I am sensitive guy quark... I know you don't really "hate" me... ykm.gif Oh, if it makes you feel any better... it is snowing out here right before the earth drops off today !!

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 pm 
Such horrible blemishes! The Park Service should do something fast! hockeygrin.gif Thanks for the coastal retreat. Splendid photos!

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey