Forum Index > Trip Reports > Taylor River
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostMon Dec 01, 2008 11:30 pm 
Exactly a month ago was my last hike/backpack, well after 3 months of PT (it's nowhere near over) I went on my first hike since. My knee felt strong enough to go give it a shot so I went with Bryan (THANK YOU!!) to an easy hike with barely any elevation gain- Taylor River Trail. Couldn't have picked a nicer day to go out hiking. MF Road wasn't too bad, I've seeing it worse and better. At the trailhead was one truck and that was it. We started off at 11 a.m. and headed for Otter Falls. On the way to Otter Falls we stopped at an island on the river near the trailhead and on the other side was a waterfall! I’ve done this hike 5 times now and I've never seeing it. "Island Taylor Falls" I name thee. On the island there was a small cool campground, looks like a cool place for backpacking. A little further up was another Island and another fall on the river -Middle Taylor Falls, just like Island Taylor Falls, I had never seeing it and both are a pretty good size spanning the river.
Island Taylor Falls
Island Taylor Falls
Aw we continued I notice the trail was in such beautiful condition. I doubt this was the work of the UFS, probably thanks to WTA. We got to Marten Creek Falls and went around to the lower falls and tried taking pictures, but the mist was so nasty almost all the pics came out bad except for one or two. Headed across the bridge and followed the creek up to get to the upper falls and I couldn't even recognize it from the last time I was there. Had one slip on the boot path and I ended bending my bad knee all the way, but other than my muscles being tight from my muscles shrinking, my knee was fine! Took some pics and headed down to Otter Falls. We came across three girl hikers at the major rock slide and that was going to be the only people we would see on the whole trip.
Marten Creek Falls
Marten Creek Falls
Marten Creek Falls, Lower Middle Tier
Marten Creek Falls, Lower Middle Tier
Marten Creek Falls, Upper Middle Tier
Marten Creek Falls, Upper Middle Tier
We made it to Otter Falls and it was flowing pretty nicely, we spend some time there and then we had to jet out. We didn't get to go to Big Creek Falls because of the time and good thing Bryan was there to say it was bingo time to head back because I would have probably run over there. Hiking back I finally saw Treen Falls, cascading of Treen Peak, too dark to take a picture, but I'll be back. Hiked back to the trailhead and by Marten Creek Falls it was dark and starting to rain. At 5 p.m. we were back at the car.
Otter Falls
Otter Falls
Otter Falls
Otter Falls
Otter Falls
Otter Falls
My knee feels great (just a bit sore) after hiking 9 miles (just Friday I couldn't walk more than a mile), but I know I can't push it too fast and get too excited about it and go hitting trails, I wasn't suppose to be able to hike till at least March!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 12:42 am 
There's not much gain on that hike but it always seems to take forever. Bikes are allowed on the road/trail so if your knee can stand it that makes a really nice coast out, even if you have to push it some of the way in.

jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:08 am 
Great to see you getting out. I look forward to more of your waterfall pictures! I'm a week or two still away from anything of great elevation or length but with the radiation rounds done I'm heading in the right direction. Hey I might not need a head lamp as I'll glow in the dark doh.gif

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 am 
I've been along the Taylor River trail just once and don't remember even seeing the island, let alone the waterfall on it. doh.gif You know, on Sunday as I was heading over to Melakwa Lakes I passed by Snowshoe Falls. It looked really pretty (extremely photogenic) but I only got filtered views of it due to some pesky trees. I was really tempted to find my way up to it along the gorge (I'll probably try it whenever I next head up there), mainly because of you and the other waterfall hunters on NWhikers. Thanks for opening our eyes to the possibilities.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
gone

gone
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 11:59 am 
Congrats on getting back out there, Tony! And nice pics, too! up.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 pm 
This was just what the dr. ordered for me. A great day to get out on a simple trail with a good friend. The skies started out clear but by the time we returned to the car it was dark and raining. Here is my contribution for the photo gods.
Tony at the trailhead
Tony at the trailhead
Flowing water on Taylor River
Flowing water on Taylor River
Martin Falls
Martin Falls
Cascading water on Martin Creek
Cascading water on Martin Creek
Upper section of Martin Falls
Upper section of Martin Falls
Otter Falls
Otter Falls
Me!!
Me!!
Panoramic view of Lipsy Lake at the base of Otter Falls
Panoramic view of Lipsy Lake at the base of Otter Falls

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 3:36 pm 
Thanks, ewb,Thanks jd, and GaliWalker, I know you two have also been recovering and its nice to see you guys out there too. Gail, there is an easy way to Snowshoe Falls. Before my obsession to find Rachor Falls and Fantastic Falls; Snowshoe Falls was the one I kept trying over and over to get to but I would get stopped by heavy snow, or the famous ice cave that forms every year above Keekwulee Falls. It's pretty easy to get to Snowshoe Falls, just look for the bootpath to the top of Keekwulee Falls and then head over to the gorge. It's about .5 miles in on Denny Creek. Took me about 20 minutes to reach it because I didn't want to get my feet wet. The water over the falls had just started to go up again so I'm sure its look's change with higher water. It started raining while I was in there and I had no plans to be rushed out in a flash flood, so I took off. Here is a picture of it, I so badly want to go back in there, but don't know if my knee is even ready for that.
Denny Creek, Snoqualmie Pass Area
Denny Creek, Snoqualmie Pass Area

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:41 pm 
Good stuff guys! Tony, take it easy on that knee.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 pm 
Great trip you'll. Look forward to seeing many more beautiful waterfalls! up.gif up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.