Forum Index > Trip Reports > Earl Pk, Nov. 28
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Nov 29, 2008 7:28 pm 
Skip is on call Sat/Sun, so we humored him with a Friday hike, despite supposedly better weekend weather. Astro van did fine with the road - a little snow/ice, and a few serious runoff channels on the spur road along Beverly creek. We started under grey skies but no rain. No sighting of the dead horse either, though we made plenty of noise as requested by the signs. I was out ahead with Sampson for much of the climb, and we saw maybe two days-old human tracks and some fresher tracks - mostly hare but maybe coyote too. Sampson wanted to follow them all, nose in the snow. Which started to be just a bit of a pain. It started to mist as we arrived in the Bean Creek Basin, where we had moody views up to the cliffs which receded into the clouds. The wind picked up as we approached the ridge, and I stopped at the little saddle in the shelter of trees to cool off and put on shell pants in anticipation of the exposure above. Skip and Cor arrived soon after, and soon we were heading up into the open, with wind whipped light graupel stinging our faces. The tracks of the other party were faint here, gone there. The fog played tricks with my memory of the ridge. We added some clothes in a nice cave-like cavity between an old thick arched over tree and a deep snow drift. Soon we were at the top, where we sat on the lee side for yet another snack. Sampson soon curled up to wait for the departure.
sampson-on-earl
sampson-on-earl
The way his double-coat coated our house with hair was tedious, but he sure did stay warm in the snow.
The way his double-coat coated our house with hair was tedious, but he sure did stay warm in the snow.
We watched a few sucker holes pass over as we descended back to the car. The snow helped the descent be much quicker than the ascent, though there were a few tricky bits on the ridge, incluing hard slippery spots. The view of the low cloud pouring down the Beverly Creek valley was sublime but not to be properly caught by camera. Cor seems to have come down with the Norwalk virus, so Skip and I hare hoping we aren't incubating it now.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Nov 29, 2008 7:37 pm 
joker wrote:
Cor seems to have come down with the Norwalk virus, so Skip and I hare hoping we aren't incubating it now.
For your sake, I sincerely hope you aren't.

PostSat Nov 29, 2008 8:09 pm 
joker wrote:
The wind picked up as we approached the ridge, and I stopped at the little saddle in the shelter of trees to cool off and put on shell pants in anticipation of the exposure above. Skip and Cor arrived soon after, and soon we were heading up into the open, with wind whipped light graupel stinging our faces. The tracks of the other party were faint here, gone there. The fog played tricks with my memory of the ridge. We added some clothes in a nice cave-like cavity between an old thick arched over tree and a deep snow drift. Soon we were at the top, where we sat on the lee side for yet another snack. Sampson soon curled up to wait for the departure.
Cor seems to have come down with the Norwalk virus, so Skip and I hare hoping we aren't incubating it now.
Sounds like Sampson knew what he was doing! winksmile.gif

Life is short, hike hard...
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Nov 29, 2008 8:25 pm 
Magellan wrote:
joker wrote:
For your sake, I sincerely hope you aren't.
damn straight

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostMon Dec 01, 2008 9:27 am 
Joker Wrote:
Quote:
though there were a few tricky bits on the ridge, incluing hard slippery spots.
Coming down off Earl, last week, I was making my best attempts to stand up glissade down the ridge and I must admit one of these hard slabs took me horizontal. It was all in good fun though.

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull