Forum Index > Trip Reports > Looking for snow above Lake Lillian - 2008.12.05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostMon Dec 08, 2008 10:39 pm 
Sure, there must be snow if you go up high enough, right? Well, yeah, probably, but I don't really get that high. Instead, I wandered up some logging roads toward what could be called Point 5600 above Lake Lillian and Gold Lake.
only mildly freaked out by rocks
only mildly freaked out by rocks
best snow we could find
best snow we could find
the trail
the trail
What was interesting was we were able follow a faint trail for most of the way until we ran into a 100 foot high cliff at about 5,500 feet. (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=10&X=3121&Y=26257&W=3) Anybody know if there's a way around the rocks to the true summit? Is there an easy way down to Lillian or Gold Lake?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
adamcwatts

adamcwatts
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 12:39 am 
On the alpine lake map there doesn't seem to be any trail to gold lake. It does have the unofficial trail to Lake Lillian though. I'm heading up there this weekend to get to Rampart Lakes how clear was the trail?

http://sunrisegear.blogspot.com/ - Serving Up Fresh Gear
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 8:26 am 
adamcwatts wrote:
On the alpine lake map there doesn't seem to be any trail to gold lake. It does have the unofficial trail to Lake Lillian though. I'm heading up there this weekend to get to Rampart Lakes how clear was the trail?
We didn't follow go down to Lake Lillian at all so I'm unsure about conditions there. This past weekend there was probably a little snow in the trees and shaded areas, but not a lot. I would expect with the current system moving through there will be significantly more.

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 9:35 am 
adamcwatts wrote:
As of Saturday, the Rocky Run trail was basically clear all the way to and around Lillian (we circumnavigated the Rock O'Doom). The climb up to Rampart Ridge was clear also. The snow - and ice - began in earnest at the top. From there down to and around the lakes, there was snow cover and quite a few really slick ice patches, but we were generally able to get around them; neither of us had traction devices. It was gorgeous up there. Have fun! There may be substantially more snow this upcoming weekend tho, based on the forecast from WOW. Pix here, if you're interested.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 10:24 am 
Is "Rock O'Doom" the lake-side slab that makes it hard to get past Lake Lillian?

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 10:35 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Is "Rock O'Doom" the lake-side slab that makes it hard to get past Lake Lillian?
Yep, that would be the one. A friend of mine has always called it that. Guess I picked it up; it's so appropriate. Saturday it was very icy. There is an easy way around it to the right which then drops you back down to Lillian before the steep climb up the ridge. Moosefish, I'm not clear about what route you took... ? Did you start from the Lillian/Margaret trailhead?

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 11:15 am 
On the road up Rocky Run we took the only left that drops, crosses the creek, and then switches up the ridge. There's a slide at about 3,900 feet that you can drive past, but the owner of the Jeep we were in was a bit concerned about the rocks on the undercarriage so we walked from there. (The road gets REALLY good after that.) The roads eventually peter out if you stay on the ridge and then you can pick up the "trail" in the woods and onto the open ridge above about 5,000 feet. The high point we were near was west of Lillian and south of Gold. I think we were at the base of either the second or third highest point in this photo:
from the Lillian->Ramparts gully
from the Lillian->Ramparts gully
I believe it's the northwestern shoulder of the high point is shown here to the left of Gold Lake

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 4:05 pm 
moosefish wrote:
but the owner of the Jeep we were in was a bit concerned about the rocks on the undercarriage so ..
Good god. All that gas, rubber, and PITA of a Jeep...and stopping where it pays off ...because some wocks might scwape the bottom of a purpose built 4x4 with skid plates. sorry, just too much to bear. I'm better now.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 4:11 pm 
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 4:19 pm 
I'm sure when riding in someone elses rig in a situation like this, you just keep your mouth shut and nod, while somewhere deep inside you cry a little tear for wasted hardware, . tongue.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 4:21 pm 
Perhaps worse was the husband who was driving his wife's truck... I must admit, though, heated seats on the way home were mighty fine.