Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eight Mile trail to Squire Creek Pass 11/30
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 8:17 am 
Thanks for the contrasting photos Matt. It's interesting to compare the snow in a normal year at the beginning of December with what we have this year.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
don b

don b
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 1:28 pm 
Ah, 3 O'Clock Rock! The memories! There is one spot on the trail to the rock where we used to walk over a huge cedar in steps that were cut into it. The trailwork party cut through, eliminating the climb. My old friend,D, refuses to walk through so over the log we go!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 3:48 pm 
That looks like a neat trip. What is the elevation gain?

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
JimK

JimK
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 3:52 pm 
About 2300' of gain. The pass is at 4000'.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm 
Quark, Grizzy and Jim...fantastic job! Thank you for the information! Can't wait to go there! I have thought about it for decades! But the trail description gods always discouraged would be takers that th trail was too steep, too ominous and lacking in views to justify the indulgence...and, the road was just awful. Is the road awful? A description of the road is worth a few more words....since the road/route in was closed for a long time, if I recall correctly. Should your TR be reliable, and it is, then this will be a great hike for view baggers (myself included). Can't wait! My one and only trip to Squire Cr. Pass was so long ago...I recall the hassles of the route from Darrington TH and the splendor Three Fingers and Whitehorse. This route sure looks interesting and the photos display the enthusiasm and artistry of the hikers. Many, many thanks for the TR!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 9:20 pm 
Sabahsboy; You hit on the exact reason I want people to be enticed to visit Squire Creek - because of past trip reports scaring them off of it. That's why I added that little blurb about unkind trip reports. I sorta feel bad goading people into hiking it - cajoling those that won't do this trail, yet they'll do other trip with poor trails, some leading to ho-hum destinations, but shy away from a 5 mile RT trail with fantastic views. (remember the Lk 22 trail before it was re-built? People would drag thier little kids up that mud-infested gash up the mountain - it's a wonder some didn't get sucked into the earth by those sucking mudholes - and for what - Lake 22 views? Not worth it. Goat Flats - horrible trail (at least that's worth it). Upper Perry Creek to Forgotten Meadows? horrible trail (and boring). ) Anyway, off my soap-box and back to the road; Excellent condition. My freind Bob, who drives a Honda Element (no clearance) was up there last Sunday and did alright. There are dips in the road where washouts used to be, one's a bit deep & short, so leave your 1973 Monte Carlo at home - it's too long.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 9:22 pm 
P.S. Bob had major shoulder replacement surgery about a month and a half ago, and he hiked the trail. Literally hiked it with one hand tied behind his back. lol.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:06 pm 
I went to Squire Creek pass years ago with Yetiman. We went in from the other direction, the way that is now closed due to landslides coming off of Jumbo Mtn. It must have been at least 8 years ago, since I had no dog, no digital camera and had never posted a TR or even been on the internet. I should hook up my scanner one of these days so I can post some of those old instamatic pictures. Ah, the good old days. hmmm.gif Thanks for the TR, Quark. In addition to being an interesting report, it serves as a reminder to get out there and visit (or re-visit) some semi-forgotten places.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:12 pm 
Quark wrote:
so leave your 1973 Monte Carlo at home - it's too long.
oh crud, well that takes all the fun out of it wazzup.gif

JimK

JimK
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:24 pm 
Sluggy, did you see Quark and Grizzy's report of the other trail to Squire Creek Pass? It was only a few weeks ago and it is hikeable. Both trails can be hiked.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:27 pm 
Whoa, stunning shots Matt! up.gif That is a nice contrast.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:39 pm 
Slugman wrote:
it serves as a reminder to get out there and visit (or re-visit) some semi-forgotten places.
Yeah, Slug; JimK suggests another visit this spring and more trip reports - no one will remember this TR come spring - as it is, the trail gets no respect. I was hoping WTA would use it as a hike of the week or something - it sorely needs publicity, especially since a trip report is the only way to stop the viscious rumors that it's a lousy trail with no views. But they chose to showcase Lake Dorothy instead . redface.gif Haven't seen many trip reports for Lake Dot this summer; I guess folks need to be reminded of that one too, it's in danger of being forgotten; then the brush will grow in and the trail will get lost. tongue.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 11:08 pm 
Funny you mention it Q. Two of the WTA work parties I've been on involved the two trails to Squire Creek Pass. Chopped down a tiny cedar tree on SQP trail, built a couple of steps, and lined the trail with rocks. That and a lot of brush whipping. On 8M trail it was a lot of drainage when it got near the creek.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Dec 03, 2008 9:43 am 
Mag - I workd the 8 Mile portion of Squire Creek years ago too - that open slope leading to 3 O'Clock Rock was a solid wall of alder. It was impassable. We sawed each alder - one by one. You have to go way uphill to get the alder trunk - those trunks can be 40 feet long in places. About the 2nd day, someone found the original tread waaaay uphill - the tread had creeped down with the growth of the trees. So if you ever get bored and want to bash through slide alder, go uphill from that portion of the trail and find the original trail up there somewhere. Mineral Creek trail was another alder-fest. Absolutely staggering in alderness. (still is - the job was never finished)