Forum Index > Trip Reports > Norse Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Dec 01, 2008 11:20 pm 
Note: EastKing Told Me that I was posting this, so I found out after I already typed this up that he posted one. I've been waiting all week for our next hike, which was supposed to be Jolly Mountain, but things change. Again I could'nt sleep well and only had 4-5 hours of sleep, slightly better than last time. Before the trip I was crossing my fingers about going because not only was the weather looking bad, but I would have to get a ride to the South were we would meet up. My mom would be too tired to get up at 5:30ish and Michael was sick the night before, but fortunatly my brother got better by morning. I grabbed all my gear and hurried out the door. Later at 7:00 A.M. I met up with EastKing and some other guy (sorry I forgot your name). The other guy that was with us drove us to the place, which we decided on Jolly, but as we were driving he had missed the turn and he said well now were doing Norse. He could have easily went back, and I asked him "You did that on purpose did'nt you" in a joking way, but he said "I'll leave that one unanswered"... because he was ealier talking about how he wanted to do Norse, but I truely believe that it was unintentional. As we were driving Rainier came into view through the clouds, which to me was amazing because it was foggy and cloudy and now new hopes for clearings came to mind. I really thought it was going to be stormy and windy, but my luck was in! As we drove it cleared up more and more until it was nearly clear, exept high altitude clouds.
Fogginess
Fogginess
Rainier on the way
Rainier on the way
Zoomed in a bit more
Zoomed in a bit more
Mist Mountains
Misty Forest
Misty Forest
As it cleares up
As it cleares up
We at first went to the wrong parking spot, but EastKing mentioned it being above and found it. We started the hike at a some what fast pace, and at the time I'm a bit out of shape, so I personally began to be tired very quick. "Oh no I thought to my self" If I'm this tired now, I'm in trouble when it comes summit time. Fortunatly EastKing decided to let me make the pace, and is very patient. The fog goes away with very little clouds as we go up. Also it gets easier, and the trail clears out to a view of Crystal Mountain, and a few others, and I was also suprised to see how green the trees were. The summit of Rainier startes coming into view, and wow is she beautiful! I can't wait to climb it, and those clouds that keep being produced by the snow, it's such an incredible site, especially because we had one of the best views as we went up. As we went up, I could'nt help but stare at Rainier's wonders, how big it was, how snowy it was, how glacier covered it was, and it's incredible beauty put me in a sorta trance, I just wanted to go there so bad, and the thought of having to wait over half a year... not often am I impatient, but a mountain like that keeps me dreaming. The trails later becomes what feels almost flat, and it's as if they are trying to make it longer, which I thought they should perhap fix this. Not that It's super tiring or anything but it gets old hiking on flatish like stuff. Not that I don't like the gentle slopes either, but you know, they could have made it a bit more terrain feeling to the trail at this part. My friend Mark like scrables and some day climbs, but seems almost as if he does'nt like hiking, and me personally I like it all! Hiking you get the feel of nature, and scrambling and climbing you get the thill and great views. At least I got to have a nice break and take a few bird shots before our summit ridge.
View though the Trees
View though the Trees
Green Trees
Green Trees
Crystal Mountain Panorama
1 label
Crystal Mountain Panorama
A misty way to start out the hike
A misty way to start out the hike
Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain
Summit of Rainier Peaking up
Summit of Rainier Peaking up
More Greenary
More Greenary
Clouds starting to form
Clouds starting to form
Rainier's Summit
Rainier's Summit
Blueish Version of Summit
Blueish Version of Summit
Summit Forming Cloud
Summit Forming Cloud
I know, lots of Rainier Photos
I know, lots of Rainier Photos
Summit Again
Summit Again
Rainier in a storm
Rainier in a storm
The Spire of Little Tahoma
The Spire of Little Tahoma
Rainier Clearing Up
Rainier Clearing Up
About to Fly Away
About to Fly Away
The View through the Trees
The View through the Trees
Mount Adams
Mount Adams
Little Tahoma and above
Little Tahoma and above
Hiking the Ridge to the summit
Hiking the Ridge to the summit
The summit ridge soon came into view, which was exiting, and me and EastKing went on top which was off the trail while the other guy took the trail which seemd kinda not as good when it comes to views. On the last part of the ridge I run down the false summit and up and hike up to the top as fast as I could, because at this point I very much wanted to get to the top, plus I did this for the thrill. I was to tired to yell in exitement at the summit becuase I was very much out of breathe. But the view was wonderful, with what felt like endless mountains. But this dos'nt compare with Magellan's hike which was Tiger Mountain, wow, he must have had such an incredible experience. lol.gif We could see most of Rainier down the East Side with its valley, and Mount Adams, a little bit of St. Helens, distantly Moun Hood, and many others with Stuart. Many of them were distant, but it still had it's awesomeness to it, like how Mount Adams bottom part was glowing, and Rainier still making Lenticular Clouds and it was crazy how it would get barried in clouds and reopen up. After eating and taking lots of photos and making a few video's after a hour or so we started heading down.
Mount Adams
Mount Adams
=Looking North
The Northern Ridge
The Northern Ridge
Mount Rainier looin nice!
Mount Rainier looin nice!
Looking Towards Mount Adams
Looking Towards Mount Adams
Mount Adams with a glowing bottom
Mount Adams with a glowing bottom
Summit of Rainier in a storm
Summit of Rainier in a storm
Little Tahoma in a trianlge look
Little Tahoma in a trianlge look
Glacier on Rainier
Glacier on Rainier
Mountain near by
Mountain near by
Us together on the Summit
3 labels
Us together on the Summit
Looking at the Summit
Looking at the Summit
Looking North
Looking North
Stuart Range
3 labels
Stuart Range
Summit Panorama
3 labels
Summit Panorama
It was so much nicer going down, although a glissade would have been nice, there was hardly any snow, although a few patches were my ice axe was nice to have. On the way down I kept getting head aches and was dizzy, perhaps from not drinking enough water, but I later felt as though it acually felt getting hard for me, not that it was'nt tiring before, but like I felt like on a break that I would pass out. Fortunaly I had some more of my water and made it down and took a last glance at Rainier before we headed home.
Going down from the Summit
Going down from the Summit
On the False Summit
On the False Summit
Looking Back
Looking Back
Last Glance at Rainier
Last Glance at Rainier
The Trail
The Trail
Once again a awesome hike! I can't wait for next weeks Hiking Adventure!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 am 
Great trip report Josh and photos. You hung in there very tough and all of us made very good time on the trip. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Your trip report rocks over mine!!!!! Good job capturing the details!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Jennifer S.

Jennifer S.
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 9:49 am 
That's it, I'm going there! Your photos are fantastic, and it's a great TR! You got some sweet Mt. Rainier shots, I love the "peeking" photos. VERY, very nice!

BearQueen
Ready to Go

BearQueen
Ready to Go
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 1:47 pm 
Stellar photography Josh! Your pictures are mind blowing!!!!!!! I agree, your trip report is much better than EK's. Good job keeping up with EK and QC! up.gif up.gif up.gif

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one." by John Lennon I hope to do some summits and waterfalls this year with my husband EastKing.
Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 2:19 pm 
hi josh, you did a great job and even better on the pics. have you ever heard of the movie Rashomon? it's a B&W japanese film from 1950 that is highly recommended. reading yours + EK's report, I felt like writing my own report, just like that movie. It's interesting how they would all tell very different stories. For example, you made it sound like EK got us to the trailhead after I got us lost. But what I remember is that when I asked him to read me the milepoint off the road, he eventually responded, giving me a totally wrong number, and I ended up going out on foot and investigating at some expense in energy before realizing it was wrong place. then I took out the book, read it myself (which i obviously couldn't do while driving) and found out where the trailhead actually was. then, when the road was blocked, i walked all the way up to find it, came back and told you guys it was OK, and then parked my car down the road in a safer spot, having run almost a quarter mile and done everything myself before you guys even got out of the car. anyway, that's just an observation. look forward to seeing you on the next trip. maybe some day Magellan will even grace us with his presence for you to meet!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 5:02 pm 
EastKing wrote:
Great trip report Josh and photos. You hung in there very tough and all of us made very good time on the trip. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Your trip report rocks over mine!!!!! Good job capturing the details!!
Thanks EastKing! Glad we all did good. As for typing it up and hosting the images, it took me a while plus I was very tired and slept which is why this came in late, plus I was prepairing the photos by using sotware to create the panoramas which also takes some time. Glad you liked it!
Jennifer S. wrote:
That's it, I'm going there! Your photos are fantastic, and it's a great TR! You got some sweet Mt. Rainier shots, I love the "peeking" photos. VERY, very nice!
Rainier is the main attraction for the trip. It's beauty had me looking for a long time, and even now I wish I could see it. I love how the summit would have those forming clouds, plus to be honest, I liked my black and white Rainier photo.
BearQueen wrote:
Stellar photography Josh! Your pictures are mind blowing!!!!!!! I agree, your trip report is much better than EK's. Good job keeping up with EK and QC! up.gif up.gif up.gif
Thanks Bear Queen! Very greatful you liked them! It was fun taking them, as I always love photography. I also latly have been in the interest of writting so I now combine the two for my trip reports. Perhaps I may see you one of these days on a hike.
Quetzal_Curtissimo wrote:
hi josh, you did a great job and even better on the pics. have you ever heard of the movie Rashomon? it's a B&W japanese film from 1950 that is highly recommended. reading yours + EK's report, I felt like writing my own report, just like that movie. It's interesting how they would all tell very different stories. For example, you made it sound like EK got us to the trailhead after I got us lost. But what I remember is that when I asked him to read me the milepoint off the road, he eventually responded, giving me a totally wrong number, and I ended up going out on foot and investigating at some expense in energy before realizing it was wrong place. then I took out the book, read it myself (which i obviously couldn't do while driving) and found out where the trailhead actually was. then, when the road was blocked, i walked all the way up to find it, came back and told you guys it was OK, and then parked my car down the road in a safer spot, having run almost a quarter mile and done everything myself before you guys even got out of the car. anyway, that's just an observation. look forward to seeing you on the next trip. maybe some day Magellan will even grace us with his presence for you to meet!
Sorry about that, I was hoping you would'nt notice that, because quite honestly I forgot who got us lost, so I remember you saying we could blame it all on you. winksmile.gif Plus I was dizzy when I typed this up which is why I accedently left out a few details. Glad you liked it. Cheers Josh Lewis.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 8:45 pm 
ykm.gif ykm.gif ykm.gif This photo is not doctored, they really look like that!!

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Dec 02, 2008 10:41 pm 
Magellan wrote:
ykm.gif ykm.gif ykm.gif This photo is not doctored, they really look like that!!
Yes brutally handsome, Tiger Mountain lover!!! moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Hopefully you can join us next week bro!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
BadDog

BadDog
PostWed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 am 
Cool pictures!!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Dec 03, 2008 8:05 pm 
Bad Dog wrote:
Cool pictures!!
Thank you! biggrin.gif Hope the snow comes back and I also hope it's not going to be a dry snow season. Cheers Josh Lewis.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostWed Dec 03, 2008 8:18 pm 
Awesome TR you guys. I love the group summit shot. It seems I'm not the only one...

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Dec 03, 2008 9:30 pm 
Great pics Josh, I especially liked the variety of Rainier shots. up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Dec 03, 2008 10:05 pm 
I wanna go hiking with josh! Looks like a most excellent trip was had; really, really nice photos Josh. You're onto something there. Keep it up!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Dec 03, 2008 10:38 pm 
Layback wrote:
Awesome TR you guys. I love the group summit shot. It seems I'm not the only one...
Thanks! This photo took three tries, which the third one is this one, I used a timer, the first one turned out ok, the second time my camera fell off my pack (which I used as a tripod) and practically had to dive so that it would'nt smash into a rock. This shot was some what difficult because not only would I have to preset the right exposure and tripod stance and run in to have myself in it, but I wanted it zoomed in with Rainier and wanted the angle to be perfect, and by the third shot.... well there it is. A great group to go hiking with! Thanks Layback!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostWed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 pm 
wamtngal wrote:
Great pics Josh, I especially liked the variety of Rainier shots. up.gif
Greatly appreciated! I was worried I had to many, I was acually tempted to post a few more, but they looked very simular, and the reason I posted so many was because not only did I like it, and assumed viewers would like it, but also when I see photographers leave out a lot of photos to show off only there best, I my self like seeing some of there other ones and normal shots and stuff like that, you know, the more photos the better! biggrin.gif As long as there atleast good quality. wink.gif I could have stared at Rainier for perhaps all day, and also the thought of going there next year, I wanted to get a look at what I'm getting myself into. hmmm.gif Because sometimes I do ask myself "Why do I get myself into these situations" but who knows, it might turn out to be a non misadventure.