Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Putrid - Banana - Defiance Sun Walk 12-06-08
Previous :: Next Topic  
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:04 pm    Putrid - Banana - Defiance Sun Walk 12-06-08
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

As the trail turns - changing plans, the sequel!!!  OK - so, flexibility is an important attribute when you are talking about organizing NW Hikers!  agree.gif  rolleyes.gif  So, we delayed our departure this morning so Trailpair Bob could get his dreadlocks cut  biggrin.gif; but then, the folks that were supposed to meet up with them were late, so they suggested Barry (Middle E), Jim K, the driver and Gus should go on ahead without them.  Plus, we lost Opus (David) to holiday demands - sorry, David, we used up all of the sunshine today  cool.gif - looks like you're going to have pretty crummy weather tomorrow!  lol.gif  The original plan was to meet at the Ira Spring trailhead and do Bandera - the real summit.  So, the possibilities now opened up.   hmmm.gif  Barry had been lobbying for a Putrid Pete/Banana Ridge/Defiance/and possibly Bandera route to become the new destination.   eek.gif  Neither Jim nor the driver were quick enough to think of a good reason why not!   paranoid.gif  Now, any of you who know Putrid know that it's a steep little puppy!  Oh sure, it starts off innocently enough, but you end up gaining about 2500' in about a mile!   paranoid.gif  So, we got to the parking lot about 8:40 a.m. and we were on our way about 8:50 a.m.  There were maybe six other cars in the lot at that time.
You are barely started on the Ira Spring when you reach the first switchback - it's here where you head straight, rather than continuing on the Ira Spring.   
The route is fairly gentle - a little gain, but nothing spectacular for the first mile - most of that is through the trees and the crossing of a boulder field.
It's right on the other side of the boulder filed that the route gets serious.  I can't really call it a trail now - but up until this point, it was a good, well maintained trail.  Now, you head UP and it's a steep little pitch!  But you are soon out of the trees and the views really open up. 
About all I can say is that it's up until you hit the summit - when the weather is as clear as it was today, all you need to do is just keep heading up.   
This seems to be the view I usually have of Barry!   winksmile.gif  embarassedlaugh.gif 
Before long, we were all on the summit - although it had been quite sunny and almost warm on the way up - should be, it's a bit of hump to get up to the summit of Putrid Pete -  hink.gif  but there was a nippy little breeze on the top and we needed to bundle up.  The summit register was intact and we added our names - there was another treasure inside the register box - a picture of Pete! 
We took some pics 
and grabbed a snack - it took us about 2 hours to reach the summit.
So far, my new boots were doing well - not as comfy as the old ones, but it was time.   
From the summit of Putrid - the run of Banana Ridge looked a bit dubious and a little scary  huh.gif  - but off we headed to conquer Defiance.   
Along the ridge, Gus found a refreshing drink!   
Along our way, we spotted a view of Granite - little did we know that Trail Pair had headed there (we thought that they might do McClellan)  wave.gif 
The ridge walk was absolutely lovely!  Not difficult at all - a real surprise.  We took one last look at Putrid 
and then entered some trees and soon found the connector trail from Thompson Lake to Defiance.  We opted to keep heading straight up the ridge and cut off a little of the distance to get to the intersection of the trail up to Defiance.  We ended up running into the Defiance trail higher up and soon arrived on the summit of Defiance, where the wind was a little nippy there, too!  But the sun was still shining.  Of course, it's a small world and who should be on top but a friend of the driver's, Susan
and two women, Laura and Laurie.   
Laura knew us by our trip reports on WTA.   
We had a fun time chatting and talking about various trips.  After our lunch, we decided that we had spent a little too much time chatting and that didn't leave us enough daylight to hit the true Bandera summit, so we headed off Defiance and to complete a loop, we decided to head down to Mason Lake - where "someone" (hint - four-legged) just had to take a dip in the lake - where there was a very thin layer of ice -

and then out the old Mason Lake trail.
As we headed down, we got one last look at our original summit goal.

A beautiful day in early December - with a brown trail  up.gif  so no schlepping all of the winter gear - but where is the snow?   confused.gif  dizzy.gif  We figure about 9 or 10 miles, about 4000'+ of gain and a great day for an outing!   up.gif  up.gif  up.gif

--------------
Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
TrailPair

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:20 pm   

Well, it looks like you missed all the ice!  We could have had a hockey game on Granite.

--------------
This thing called work is interfering with my play
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:56 pm   

Great day, great trip, glad you were treated to some sunshine. Thanks for the photo tour from those of us stuck indoors today ~Jo
seattlehikertoo

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:44 pm   

you are all very very lucky folks today. congrats on seizing another september-like day.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TPayne

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:01 pm   

Good stuff, this is on my list for next year.

--------------
http://tompayne.smugmug.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Visit poster's website
Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Post Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:11 pm   

I've wondered about that traverse - good stuff!

--------------
Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Post Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:56 am    Banana Ridge

Schmidt Alti-Dude wrote:
I've wondered about that traverse - good stuff!

Yeah, the ridge "walk" from Web to Putrid didn't look nearly so friendly!  Definitely recommend doing it in the direction we did - rather than the reverse - the drop off of Putrid is (to put it mildly) steep   eek.gif !

the Lykkens wrote:
Thanks for the photo tour from those of us stuck indoors today ~Jo

. . .  and Jo, gonna' have to talk to you about staying indoors on a SUNNY Saturday in December!   lol.gif

TrailPair wrote:
Well, it looks like you missed all the ice!  We could have had a hockey game on Granite.

TP - Real sorry to have missed it!   shakehead.gif  But the hockey skates were left at home next to the snowshoes!  up.gif  hockeygrin.gif

s.d.

--------------
Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Middle E
no more moustache

Post Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:11 am   

This is a favorite ridge walk.  Fortunately it's not easy to get to...   up.gif

A few more photos...

--------------
pithy yet insightful signature
yukon222

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:39 pm   

Putrid is lots of fun - a little initial trail thru the woods to get warmed up, then turn and go UP!!  Good to see this loop works so well - I considered it earlier this past summer but never got around to it.  From the looks of your nice pics, it is a very worthy loop trip.   agree.gif

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Putrid - Banana - Defiance Sun Walk 12-06-08  

Jump to: