Forum Index > Trip Reports > Arboretum Gimp and Kid Walk - 12/5/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Dec 07, 2008 11:16 pm 
It has been almost 3 months since my surgery on my foot, and I have missed being out in nature. I thought I’d try taking Annika to the Arboretum on Friday, since it has pretty level paths out toward the water. The weather was cool, but sunny with high clouds coming in.
Setting out
Setting out
We parked at the Visitor’s Center, and walked down toward Lake Washington. We stopped and watched the ducks for several minutes. Of course, Annika had to throw rocks into the water, and I resigned myself to the idea that she would scare them all away. But they thought she was throwing food to them, so pretty soon we had a large group of mallards milling around in front of us.
Ducks galore
Ducks galore
They made soft quacking noises, and we enjoyed watching them tip their heads into the water, dabbling for snacks, leaving their tails with cute curly feathers up in the air. Annika thought that was pretty funny. She kept calling to them, “Come here, ducks! Get your food!” as she threw handfuls of rocks at them. Luckily she only hit a few of them. After awhile they got bored and drifted off. I managed to lure Annika onward with the hope of more ducks up ahead, and we walked over the bridge, through the grove of trees, and through the tunnel under 520.
Bee hive
Bee hive
Paper wasp nest
Paper wasp nest
Birch bark
Birch bark
We found two old wasp nests in the trees. Annika was nervous going through the tunnel. I don’t blame her; it kind of freaked me out this time, too. We continued on to the Island trail, but we stopped at the first overlook with a bench to eat our picnic lunch.
Platform
Platform
Lunch
Lunch
It was really nice and peaceful to sit there and eat, just the two of us, with the water and the boats and the birds flying around. Of course, we had to ignore the rush of the freeway, but I liked being in the openness of the marsh, with the December sun filtering through the thin clouds. The light was low and golden, the warmth just enough to feel on our faces. Annika enjoyed watching all the planes and a helicopter fly over. Each time she told me she wanted to fly it. She also wants to drive boats. We finished our sandwiches, and I convinced Annika that it would be fun to go walk on the floating bridges, so we did that and then came back.
Floating bridges
Floating bridges
She was nervous being able to see the water in the cracks in the floating sections, and she didn’t like the splashing and rocking when a large boat sent waves our direction. But she enjoyed being out on the water, and I treasured being able to hold her warm, soft little hand during this part. We didn’t really see many birds in that section, until we were on our way back and we noticed a bald eagle in a tree in the distance. We were able to get right up close to it.
Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle
It was sitting high up in a large cottonwood, looking around, surveying the water and the land. We got to watch it for several minutes before Annika got bored. It was after her nap time at this point, and she was ready to go home. We walked back through the grove of trees, inhaling the various smells through here, oak and poplar, and plain old fresh air. We stopped again to throw rocks at the ducks, and had bonus visitors of a flock of Canada Geese. My daughter was interested in looking at my Peterson Field Guide to Birds, and wouldn’t let me have it back.
Ducks, Mom!
Ducks, Mom!
I found the pictures of mallards and the page of the bald eagle. She thought that was pretty cool, seeing the ducks and the eagle in the book. She said the Canada Geese were her favorites. “Them cute, Mama!”
Birder in the making
Birder in the making
Eventually we managed to say goodbye to the ducks, and got back to the car 2 ½ hours after we left. My ankle and foot were sore, but they did OK as long as I stayed on the flat, level path. Yep, it will still be a few months before I can hit the trail. I’ll keep trying to make time for fun, easy stuff like this, though, to keep my spirits up. Annika enjoyed it, too, and it was fun to have some time just with her and go at her pace. I used to do this kind of thing all the time with Gabriel, but it seems like life is busier now, and we don’t have as many free days. I’m glad we had the time Friday to enjoy an outing to one of the city’s wonderful natural areas.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Dec 07, 2008 11:37 pm 
Yeah, hikermama is on the mend!! Thanks for the pictures.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Dec 08, 2008 12:17 am 
I still remember exploring this area with my mom when I was Annika sized. It is so much about the experience of each step, less destination motivated. I'm glad to hear you are healing, slowly but surely, so that next summer we can go nature exploring together with a whole troop of little feet. ~Jo

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Dec 08, 2008 8:33 am 
Woo-hoo! Glad to hear you are getting out again!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostWed Dec 31, 2008 6:52 pm 
Foot Surgery!?! Glad to hear you're on the mend and able to be up and out and about. We've been laying low with the new baby... now 6 months... it's way different dragging 2 little ones around. Would love to link up again for a kiddo adventure when the weather improves. happy new year!

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostWed Dec 31, 2008 7:38 pm 
Glad you got out today, I liked the Eagle pic. See you on the trail soon!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Dec 31, 2008 10:33 pm 
what a fun outing! glad to see you are gimping your way on the trail up.gif happy new year!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jan 02, 2009 9:44 am 
Happy New Year to you, too! Yes, Fuu, it would be good to get out again with you guys. Two is definitely harder than one on the trail. But it is still worth it. It helps a ton to go with other people.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com