Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Margaret 5560' solo ski: March 5, 2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Mar 05, 2013 8:10 pm 
For the skiers: No partner again today so I went to some moderate angle stuff. I hit some west facing slopes between 5500 feet and 3500 feet. Began to snow lightly a bit before noon. Skiing was great as long as I found tree shade by hugging skier left edges of glades. 6" to 10" of cold, but dense, powder on top of the firm and textured crust made for very fun skiing. So fun that I stopped at 4200 feet on the first run and returned to my skin track for a climb back to the top for a 2nd run. Wind blown snow had partially covered my skin track, and my first run, between runs. Won't take too much new snow to wipe the slate clean. Open west facing and SW facing slopes had a sun affected trap crust but it was easy to avoid in this area. If it saw sun just avoid it and there's decent snow out there. For everyone: Left Gold Creek snowpark and headed along I-90 to Rocky Run. In the past I'd head up the south slopes from here to the ridgeline. Today I went into Rocky Run basin on the road and climbed up the west slopes, piecing together the glades I wished to later ski. This way I'd have my skin track visible to guide me between them. Snow was great for uphill traction, probably enough on the crust for pleasant snowshoeing.
For later
For later
Great tree skiing
Great tree skiing
Nice glade
Nice glade
Storm coming
Storm coming
The blaze
The blaze
Pretty scene up high
Pretty scene up high
Rampart Ridge
Rampart Ridge
Box Ridge
Box Ridge
My first ski run was a piecing together of glades with short traverses.
1st run 1st turns
1st run 1st turns
Hug the shady side
Hug the shady side
Great run on a solo day
Great run on a solo day
Then I returned to my skin track for a second climb to the summit.
Umm, next time
Umm, next time
Nother cool glade
Nother cool glade
S. Rampart disappearing
S. Rampart disappearing
Back in my track
Back in my track
Reusing my uptrack
Reusing my uptrack
Summit glade
Summit glade
My second run I went fall line off the summit more or less with a minor trend northwest off the summit, followed by a southwest trend. Great skiing in areas that had been shaded from the sun of the afternoon before.
2nd run, 1st turns
2nd run, 1st turns
Looks great
Looks great
This is cool!
This is cool!
Allrighty!
Allrighty!
Fun!
Fun!
More fun!
More fun!
Over there looks good
Over there looks good
It is good!
It is good!
Spoonin my 1st run
Spoonin my 1st run
Almost done
Almost done
The trip out included some exciting regenerating clearcut skiing and an angry grouse that was out for blood of the back of my head. This fellow seemed friendly, then absolutely psycho flying after me and hitting me in the back of my head several times!
Tough 2nd growth!
Tough 2nd growth!
Attack grouse
Attack grouse

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olymountainman

olymountainman
PostTue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 pm 
Glad to see you found some good stuff!

The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too. -Hervey Voge
iron

iron
PostTue Mar 05, 2013 9:55 pm 
how'd that grouse get on your ski?!?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 am 
Luv the Sooty Grouse pic up.gif I've been doing that tour for 20+ years. Love to see it get some ink. When my rehab allows, I gotta get up there with the new fat waxless skis.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 am 
How's the healing going Steve???? Miss you out there. All because I never get a snowpark permit I never do this one like I'd like to. Don and I hit it last year and this year I found a neat fall line run with minimal traversing that you probably know. Has a couple 50 foot wide shallow forest edged draws that were too cool. Now I badly want to do a carry over and ski the north slope of 5606' and circle back to yesterday's run as an exit to the car. Summit to car yesterday was 1.25 hours!!!!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 1:21 pm 
Yet another great trip report, John. Glad you survived the grouse attack. The grouse-on-ski photo is unique - it should go somewhere really visible, like a magazine.

AdventureStrong

AdventureStrong
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 1:27 pm 
I never took grouse for being so aggressive. Anyway, looks like it was a lot of fun up there.

Exploring the World, One Trail at a Time Adventure Strong | @AdventureStrong
smokey 1703

smokey 1703
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 4:58 pm 
Nice trip report as always. Hahaha on the grouse. A couple of years ago we were driving out of the Elwha and a grouse was sitting in the road; darn thing wouldn't move. We stopped and I got out to chase it out of the road and it attacked me. As we drove away it flew down the road behind us hitting the tail light over and over.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 5:04 pm 
Sounds like a great tour! up.gif Crazy ass grouse!

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
Must be the red hair, John!!! agree.gif lol.gif winksmile.gif Mt. Margaret is the best!

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
olymountainman

olymountainman
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 8:26 pm 
Hey John, do you think this mountain would be suitable for a snowboard?

The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too. -Hervey Voge
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm 
olymountainman wrote:
Hey John, do you think this mountain would be suitable for a snowboard?
Hi omm, I think if you were OK with some lateral touring to get in there i.e. splitting back out or snowshoeing then the west slope is long and sustained enough to warrant going. Skiing fall line for the first time may mean hitting ramdom glades in between nicely spaced forests. Just a longish road walk out. Speaking for Ragman and Rodman, Something like Red Mountain up the Cle Elum valley would have more fall line riding than Baldy with less lateral going. I can get you some maps if you like. My computer filing system sucks so I just have to dig them out of cyberland. John

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 9:50 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Must be the red hair, John!!! agree.gif lol.gif winksmile.gif Mt. Margaret is the best!
You must be right, SD, I was thinking a haircut was overdue!!!

olymountainman

olymountainman
PostWed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm 
Thanks for the responses John! I myself don't really mind having to traverse or unstrap and hike a lot, I just like to hit as much new territory as possible biggrin.gif I haven't ridden anything in the Snoqualmie Pass or Cle Elum area, I'd love to get out there though. I would very much appreciate some maps if its convenient for ya. Thanks a bunch man.