Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
hooker

hooker
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 5:51 pm 
Dang Global warming anyway.. Now what? Suppose going green caused all this snow?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 6:34 pm 
hmmm.. part of global warming is that areas would experience more extreme weather changes, both colder and warmer depending on the season and region. Looks like global warming is going to plan frown.gif

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 6:35 pm 

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 6:38 pm 
two consecutive years of cooler weather, looks like a trend. up.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:18 pm 
straydog wrote:
hmmm.. part of global warming is that areas would experience more extreme weather changes, both colder and warmer depending on the season and region. Looks like global warming is going to plan frown.gif
ROTFLMAO... Not at you SD...but at the global warming CYA job. "The earth is getting warmer, but if it gets colder, that means Glowball Warming is going according to schedule." Right now, with the mercury heading toward single digits, and the wind chill factor outside my place about 4 below, I could use a little global warming.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:23 pm 
Haven't we had this discussion before? uhh.gif

Knows literally nothing
MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur

MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:23 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
straydog wrote:
ROTFLMAO... Not at you SD...but at the global warming CYA job. "The earth is getting warmer, but if it gets colder, that means Glowball Warming is going according to schedule." Right now, with the mercury heading toward single digits, and the wind chill factor outside my place about 4 below, I could use a little global warming.
Any particular reason you're laughing at this guy? What he says is 100% correct. Global warming does not predict that the warming is uniform: it predicts that the extremes become more common and more extreme.

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:24 pm 
Its just the earth doing what it has for millions of years. Warming and cooling on its own. Nothing to get excited about, because there is nothing we can do about it.

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
hooker

hooker
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:33 pm 
Yep, warming and cooling trends throughout history. Cooling trends are by far much more dangerous.

straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 9:04 pm 
mtnman wrote:
Yep, warming and cooling trends throughout history.
No argument there... the only difference this time is that the general warming happened faster than in any other time in history (at least from what they've been able to see going back a few million years). In the end, there is no evidence warming like this happened before. Nobody knows if it's going to be really bad, or not so bad. Hang around for a few years... we can all find out together biggrin.gif

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 9:40 pm 
Facts About Global Warming I don't expect any of the Global Warming advocates to actually check out this website but there's the link anyway. It's hard to admit that something you believed for so long is wrong but . . .

touron

touron
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 9:40 pm 
Several threads and no one has yet gone green. Here is the recipe: 1. Highlight text in your post 2. Click down arrow to right side of Font color 3. Select Dark Green if you are really green 3.5 Select Olive Green if you are only green for appearances sake 4. Click Submit button 5. Check to make sure it's as green as you thought

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 9:56 pm 
aywolfpac wrote:
Facts About Global Warming I don't expect any of the Global Warming advocates to actually check out this website but there's the link anyway. It's hard to admit that something you believed for so long is wrong but . . .
"we fight the new faith based religion of global warming" rotf.gif ... no offense, but I didn't see a single fact about global warming in that website. Just a lot of people saying that it's a hoax When it comes to this subject, it looks like the 33% rule applies: 33% believe it, 33% can't decide, and 33% will never believe it.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Dec 21, 2008 8:44 am 
MikeBeebe wrote:
Any particular reason you're laughing at this guy? What he says is 100% correct. Global warming does not predict that the warming is uniform: it predicts that the extremes become more common and more extreme.
You didn't read the post entirely. I'm NOT laughing at him. I'm laughing at the global warming mantra, which is almost like a religious chant, and in layman's terms, JeepRex seems to have it pretty well down pat. The glowball warming argument has a built-in CYA tenet, which you spelled out without perhaps meaning to.
Quote:
Global warming does not predict that the warming is uniform: it predicts that the extremes become more common and more extreme.
I suspect that its true believers predict any damn thing they want to justify their position. Climate change is part of nature. That should be nothing to become alarmed about because as others point out here, it's been happening throughout history The glowball warming advocates have become alarmists who take things to the extreme, and try to ram it down everyone else's throat. It's the same with religious zealotry, "pro-choice" v "pro-life," gun control, spotted owl decline...pick a cause someone can get warped about. Yes, it IS the "33% rule" at work. And when it's all finished, and everyone has had their say and tried to ridicule the other side, what have we proven? I gotta go shovel two feet of snow drift to go rescue my MIL who is without water and power.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
ericrjensen

ericrjensen
PostSun Dec 21, 2008 9:38 am 
so that makes this the first page of another 60+ of climate change "discussion" that goes no where. i do believe climate change is an issue, i don't believe that this event occured specifically because of climate change, if you remember we didn't have a day below 50 in the first twenty days of november either. that is not justification for the climate change/global warming argument i'm just saying the pendulum swings both ways. i don't want to get into an argument about this and i don't believe government regulation is a great solution. to me it is as simple as recognizing that there are 6.7 humans on this earth (four times the population in 1900) and with the vast resources we consume (not just oil, but forests, and food resources) that will put strains on the environment. that being said the biggest factor to me is the sickening over consumption of many western countries. i think the decision has to be made personally by each person to cut their consumption and so that is what i am trying to do. if you don't agree with me, i cant do anything about it, and if the government does anything about it you will likely just get pissed off and that could be equally destructive.