Forum Index > Stewardship > Global Warming
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
Old Skool
Member
Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 298 | TRs
Location: Nez Perce County
Old Skool
Member
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Dang Global warming anyway..

Now what?  Suppose going green caused all this snow?
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
straydog
slave to a monolith



Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 1457 | TRs
Location: North Bend
straydog
slave to a monolith
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
hmmm.. part of global warming is that areas would experience more extreme weather changes, both colder and warmer depending on the season and region. Looks like global warming is going to plan  frown.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
TeeJay
Sofa King



Joined: 11 Jul 2005
Posts: 571 | TRs
Location: 2 weeks from everywhere
TeeJay
Sofa King
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 5:35 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote

--------------
It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Jeepasaurusrex
Member
Member


Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 1080 | TRs
Location: Arlington, WA
Jeepasaurusrex
Member
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 5:38 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
two consecutive years of cooler weather, looks like a trend.  up.gif

--------------
"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Dave Workman
Member
Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 3604 | TRs
Location: In the woods, by the big tree
Dave Workman
Member
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 7:18 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
straydog wrote:
hmmm.. part of global warming is that areas would experience more extreme weather changes, both colder and warmer depending on the season and region. Looks like global warming is going to plan  frown.gif

ROTFLMAO...
Not at you SD...but at the global warming CYA job. "The earth is getting warmer, but if it gets colder, that means Glowball Warming is going according to schedule."

Right now, with the mercury heading toward single digits, and the wind chill factor outside my place about 4 below, I could use a little global warming.

--------------
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
GeoTom
Custom Title



Joined: 19 May 2005
Posts: 3171 | TRs
Location: Location
GeoTom
Custom Title
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 7:23 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Haven't we had this discussion beforeuhh.gif

--------------
Signature
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur



Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 281 | TRs
Location: Seattle, Washington
MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 7:23 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Dave Workman wrote:
straydog wrote:
hmmm.. part of global warming is that areas would experience more extreme weather changes, both colder and warmer depending on the season and region. Looks like global warming is going to plan  frown.gif

ROTFLMAO...
Not at you SD...but at the global warming CYA job. "The earth is getting warmer, but if it gets colder, that means Glowball Warming is going according to schedule."

Right now, with the mercury heading toward single digits, and the wind chill factor outside my place about 4 below, I could use a little global warming.


Any particular reason you're laughing at this guy? What he says is 100% correct.

Global warming does not predict that the warming is uniform: it predicts that the extremes become more common and more extreme.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Jeepasaurusrex
Member
Member


Joined: 05 Oct 2004
Posts: 1080 | TRs
Location: Arlington, WA
Jeepasaurusrex
Member
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 7:24 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Its just the earth doing what it has for millions of years. Warming and cooling on its own. Nothing to get excited about, because there is nothing we can do about it.

--------------
"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Old Skool
Member
Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 298 | TRs
Location: Nez Perce County
Old Skool
Member
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 7:33 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Yep,  warming and cooling trends throughout history.

Cooling trends are by far much more dangerous.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
straydog
slave to a monolith



Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 1457 | TRs
Location: North Bend
straydog
slave to a monolith
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:04 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
mtnman wrote:
Yep,  warming and cooling trends throughout history.

No argument there... the only difference this time is that the general warming happened faster than in any other time in history (at least from what they've been able to see going back a few million years).

In the end, there is no evidence warming like this happened before. Nobody knows if it's going to be really bad, or not so bad. Hang around for a few years... we can all find out together  biggrin.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
aywolfpac
Member
Member


Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 1283 | TRs
Location: Burlington, WA
aywolfpac
Member
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:40 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Facts About Global Warming

I don't expect any of the Global Warming advocates to actually check out this website but there's the link anyway.  It's hard to admit that something you believed for so long is wrong but . . .
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
touron
Member
Member


Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Posts: 10305 | TRs
Location: Plymouth Rock
touron
Member
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:40 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Several threads and no one has yet gone green.  Here is the recipe:

1. Highlight text in your post
2. Click down arrow to right side of Font color
3. Select Dark Green if you are really gr
een
3.5 Select Olive Green if you are only green for appearances sake

4. Click Submit button
5. Check to make sure it's as green as you thought

--------------
Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
straydog
slave to a monolith



Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 1457 | TRs
Location: North Bend
straydog
slave to a monolith
PostSat Dec 20, 2008 8:56 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
aywolfpac wrote:
Facts About Global Warming

I don't expect any of the Global Warming advocates to actually check out this website but there's the link anyway.  It's hard to admit that something you believed for so long is wrong but . . .

"we fight the new faith based religion of global warming" rotf.gif

... no offense, but I didn't see a single fact about global warming in that website. Just a lot of people saying that it's a hoax

When it comes to this subject, it looks like the 33% rule applies: 33% believe it, 33% can't decide, and 33% will never believe it.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Dave Workman
Member
Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 3604 | TRs
Location: In the woods, by the big tree
Dave Workman
Member
PostSun Dec 21, 2008 7:44 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
MikeBeebe wrote:


Any particular reason you're laughing at this guy? What he says is 100% correct.

Global warming does not predict that the warming is uniform: it predicts that the extremes become more common and more extreme.

You didn't read the post entirely. I'm NOT laughing at him. I'm laughing at the global warming mantra, which is almost like a religious chant, and in layman's terms, JeepRex seems to have it pretty well down pat.

The glowball warming argument has a built-in CYA tenet, which you spelled out without perhaps meaning to.

Quote:
Global warming does not predict that the warming is uniform: it predicts that the extremes become more common and more extreme.

I suspect that its true believers predict any damn thing they want to justify their position.

Climate change is part of nature. That should be nothing to become alarmed about because as others point out here, it's been happening throughout history

The glowball warming advocates have become alarmists who take things to the extreme, and try to ram it down everyone else's throat.

It's the same with religious zealotry, "pro-choice" v "pro-life," gun control,  spotted owl decline...pick a cause someone can get warped about.

Yes, it IS the "33% rule" at work.

And when it's all finished, and everyone has had their say and tried to ridicule the other side, what have we proven?

I gotta go shovel two feet of snow drift to go rescue my MIL who is without water and power.

--------------
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
ericrjensen
Member
Member


Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 58 | TRs

ericrjensen
Member
PostSun Dec 21, 2008 8:38 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
so that makes this the first page of another 60+ of climate change "discussion" that goes no where.

i do believe climate change is an issue, i don't believe that this event occured specifically because of climate change, if you remember we didn't have a day below 50 in the first twenty days of november either.  that is not justification for the climate change/global warming argument i'm just saying the pendulum swings both ways.

i don't want to get into an argument about this and i don't believe government regulation is a great solution.  to me it is as simple as recognizing that there are 6.7 humans on this earth (four times the population in 1900) and with the vast resources we consume (not just oil, but forests, and food resources) that will put strains on the environment.

that being said the biggest factor to me is the sickening over consumption of many western countries.  i think the decision has to be made personally by each person to cut their consumption and so that is what i am trying to do.  if you don't agree with me, i cant do anything about it, and if the government does anything about it you will likely just get pissed off and that could be equally destructive.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > Global Warming
  Happy Birthday Kathleen, eplanajr, Pepper!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy