Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 2:36 pm 
Agree. UW was, until recently, sane. Sad that their Social Sciences and Humanities divisions are now running roughshod over good research.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 2:42 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 pm 
Quote:
This was just last month: A Swedish scientist suggested the climate crisis could lead people to consider eating human flesh. https://www.businessinsider.com/cannibalism-eating-human-flesh
Quite easy to find apparent lunacy and get the usual suspects all a-twitter with bloviation of "mental illness", etc. To dig a little deeper we find that the venue was a trade show for the food and beverage industry. Hardly a climate science meeting of the minds but certainly appropriate for "food" issues. I believe "long pork" is the meat spoken of. Then let me attack the messenger, one Magnus Söderlund, appropriately in this case, a behavioral scientist . The craziness is fun but has nothing to do with the problem of climate change. If this is what anti-science types have left, bring on the windmills, I say! lol

don't believe everything you think
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 7:40 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Parked Out wrote:
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-real-climate-debate.html
Just some observations on the presentation of the content, no opinion on his opinion smile.gif 1. He's doing a little ASPing of his own here isn't he, especially in the comments wink.gif 2. If you took some time to 'scrub' the article so that it was not clear which 'side' the ACT and ASP people were on, you would likely have a tough time figuring out which 'side' was responsible for the described (good or poor) behavior. Regardless I am moved to apologize for my past and future contributions.
Surely you're not planning on any ASPy future contributions wink.gif I started plowing through the comments on his post just now and gave up... just don't have the interest or energy sometimes. Clearly no one 'side' or the other has a monopoly on bad behavior or bad-faith argumentation. But I think recently the high-profile antics of Extinction Rebellion, AOC, Greta Thunberg and others (including various universities) have prompted a lot of otherwise climate-concerned folks to say 'enough is enough' and to draw a line between themselves and that certain ilk of activist whose words & actions go well beyond what the science indicates. If you've had the misfortune of following some of Cliff's UW enemies on Twitter (e.g., Sarah Myhre) it's easy to imagine that he's had it up to the eyeballs with the endless stream of haters who never miss an opportunity to vilify him even though he's long been a proponent of taking action against climate change.

John
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 21, 2019 11:07 pm 
Hate to disturb the sausage fest here but the debate is and always has been between the scientific consensus and an industry sponsored small minority. There is another opinion present here and on an Fox News and conservative media, that there is nothing to get excited about this is all natural.The scientific consensus has always been that warming is due to human actions and in the long run the result will be detrimental to civilization, how to remedy the situation is more complex. Arguing will not solve anything o ly delay solutions and make resolution more difficult. You cannot split the difference and make a compromise when one side is wrong and the other right. There are always are outliers that forecast catastrophe but that is not a reason for inaction. Cliff is not the messiah only a weatherman.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 12:22 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Hate to disturb the sausage fest here but the debate is and always has been between the scientific consensus and an industry sponsored small minority. There is another opinion present here and on an Fox News and conservative media, that there is nothing to get excited about this is all natural.The scientific consensus has always been that warming is due to human actions and in the long run the result will be detrimental to civilization, how to remedy the situation is more complex. Arguing will not solve anything o ly delay solutions and make resolution more difficult. You cannot split the difference and make a compromise when one side is wrong and the other right. There are always are outliers that forecast catastrophe but that is not a reason for inaction. Cliff is not the messiah only a weatherman.
Spoken like a true believer.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 12:59 am 
So what parts don't you believe?

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 8:37 am 
My frustration is that climate change and sustainability are mashed together, such that you cannot talk about the latter outside the context of the former. Or at least folks glaze over when you try to. Climate change is an extremely vexing question from a scientific standpoint, and the resources available for resolving it are not being allocated properly. Sustainability and environmental degradation should not be controversial at all. We know we are not doing the former but are doing the latter. For me, the most important thing that Greta Thunberg referred to was "the myth of eternal economic growth." That's the tooth fairy at the heart of all this, if your worldview assumes continual growth you might as well believe in the tooth fairy. So how do we build a sustainable world economy? No one knows, but one thing is absolutely certain. We learn or we starve. And that is not hyperbole.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 10:47 am 
Tom wrote:
So what parts don't you believe?
Tom, I don't "believe" or disbelieve. I remain open to the consideration of all data and analysis. You?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 11:34 am 
What do I believe? Pretty much what MC said. AGW is real (not any scientific debate here). Long term warming will be detrimental (hard to see it being positive). Solutions are complex. Consideration of all data and analysis for sure (which on whole makes it difficult for me to disbelieve).

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 pm 
AGW not real, not backed by any science which follows the standard methods used for hundreds of years. Instead, we get the usual string of logical fallacies and evasions. The idea that there isn't any 'debate' is true only in the context of people who think evading debate or refusing to debate, has some scientific meaning. It does not. Refusing to debate has never settled any actual scientific question. In fact, refusing to do so proves the weakness of your arguments. Then, the fact that climate in the current interglacial has already been far warmer for far longer, falsifying the claims about species extinctions and terrible times, since the species of concern, and even humans, are still here. Frustrations over continual 'growth' are unfounded and based on myth and misrepresention, among other problems. The folks who won't want endless growth are, as always, free to stop growing and using the products of growth themselves. Which brings to mind the other elephant in the room...the refusal of the true believers to actually change themselves and their lives, at their own cost and risk, and discomfort...because they expect to be able to wait and force other people to make living their beliefs, easier on them. There's no evading the reality that not living what you claim to believe proves problematic at all levels, particularly when you expect to use other folks to serve ends you won't serve on your own of your own free will.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 4:07 pm 
Right, and nothing's polluting your mind. You looked at everything objectively with an open mind. No politics leading you to the answer you want.

Brian R

Brian R
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 4:09 pm 
Tom, I never asked you what you believed--but thanks for offering it up. Still, if you don't recognize a problem with MC's approach to the topic, well, not much more to say.
Malachai Constant wrote:
Hate to disturb the sausage fest here
The logic of hate and misandry.
Malachai Constant wrote:
There is another opinion present here and on an Fox News and conservative media, that there is nothing to get excited about this is all natural.
Their logic, my logic. MSNBC, Daily Kos, Common Dreams, DemocracyNow anyone?
Malachai Constant wrote:
Arguing will not solve anything only delay solutions and make resolution more difficult.
The logic of the used car salesman.
Malachai Constant wrote:
You cannot split the difference and make a compromise when one side is wrong and the other right.
The logic of the cult.
Malachai Constant wrote:
Cliff is not the messiah only a weatherman.
The logic of the purity test. Dr. Mass is not a "weatherman," rather, he's a well-respected, tenured researcher--who thinks CO2 output ought to be regulated.

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 6:54 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Sustainability and environmental degradation should not be controversial at all. We know we are not doing the former but are doing the latter. For me, the most important thing that Greta Thunberg referred to was "the myth of eternal economic growth." That's the tooth fairy at the heart of all this, if your worldview assumes continual growth you might as well believe in the tooth fairy.
Maybe a sustainable economy is the myth. Maybe a sustainable economy and human flourishing are incompatible. And yes, maybe continual growth and sustainability are incompatible, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's a better option than continual growth.

John
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Oct 22, 2019 7:21 pm 
Seeing as you seem to like to quote and attack me I feel I must reply. Do not expect further response.
Brian R wrote:
Tom, I never asked you what you believed--but thanks for offering it up. Still, if you don't recognize a problem with MC's approach to the topic, well, not much more to say.
Malachai Constant wrote:
Hate to disturb the sausage fest here
The logic of hate and misandry. Hate?? You do not know what hate is if you think this is hate. You are merely trying to use mock rage to bolster your weak case.
Malachai Constant wrote:
There is another opinion present here and on an Fox News and conservative media, that there is nothing to get excited about this is all natural.
Their logic, my logic. MSNBC, Daily Kos, Common Dreams, DemocracyNow anyone? This statement is totally incoherent. I do not even know what you are attempting to say. dizzy.gif
Malachai Constant wrote:
Arguing will not solve anything only delay solutions and make resolution more difficult.
The logic of the used car salesman. Used car salesmen do not argue like this their logic is , “what will it take to get you into this car”
Malachai Constant wrote:
You cannot split the difference and make a compromise when one side is wrong and the other right.
The logic of the cult. No a cult has all the answers in their own mind. In economics and law you can compromise. In science you do not reach a solution by compromising between extremes you determine which hypotheses is valid.
Malachai Constant wrote:
Cliff is not the messiah only a weatherman.
The logic of the purity test. Dr. Mass is not a "weatherman," rather, he's a well-respected, tenured researcher--who thinks CO2 output ought to be regulated.
He is a weatherman not a climate expert. He is certainly not a political scientist. I reject his compartmentalism of the two sides. One side the scientists look at the evidence and science before forming a conclusion. The other side industry hacks and trolls form a conclusion and cobble together whatever evidence and date to support the predetermined conclusion. That is not science it is the realm of lawyers and politicians making an argument. That is my say as far as I am concerned any further discussion with you is a waste of time.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn