Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 9:54 am 
I thought all the ice was disappearing from the poles? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8023075

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
drm

drm
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 4:58 pm 
WANative wrote:
did the consider . . .
You're gonna have to read it to get that level of detail. If I knew offhand, I would tell you, but I don't know. I do know that they used real world data for many things, like the kind of energy used to mfr the panels. But what energy sources were replaced - that isn't really relevant to the specific question of carbon payback time, though it is relevant to other questions.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
I thought all the ice was disappearing from the poles? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8023075
Why must you troll so? Do I even bother to explain it to you? I think you know, you just like to stir the pot. But meanwhile, at the other end of the Earth...

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 1:32 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
It is going away: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/ and the so-called pause? Sorry, didn't happen. This was based on ocean heat measurements. It turns out they failed to understand that ship based temperature measurements give slightly different results than buoy based measurements. When you account for this rise has only been going up, with year to year variations. See: http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/1/e1601207 Full article is open access. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 pm 
Earth sets temperature record for third year in a row*
Quote:
Marking another milestone for a changing planet, scientists reported on Wednesday that the Earth reached its highest temperature on record in 2016 — trouncing a record set only a year earlier, which beat one set in 2014. It is the first time in the modern era of global warming data that temperatures have blown past the previous record three years in a row. ... “A single warm year is something of a curiosity,” said Deke Arndt, chief of global climate monitoring for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “It’s really the trend, and the fact that we’re punching at the ceiling every year now, that is the real indicator that we’re undergoing big changes.” ... The modern era of global warming began around 1970, after a long stretch of relatively flat temperatures, and the past three years mark the first time in that period that three records were set in a row. Of the 17 hottest years on record, 16 have now occurred since 2000.
*Or if you prefer one independent analysis of the data, two years in a row, with 2010 coming in third

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jan 28, 2017 2:00 pm 
Sea temperature yesterday. Data from NASA. I need to find the legend that NASA no doubt has that says what each color means.

straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostSat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 pm 
Interesting study that showed up in Nature with regard to cloud distribution and how it has been affected by global warming: Evidence for climate change in the satellite cloud record Excerpt: The distribution of clouds all across the Earth has shifted... it has shifted in such a way — by expanding subtropical dry zones, located between around 20 and 30 degrees latitude in both hemispheres, and by raising cloud tops — as to make global warming worse. As global warming occurs, there’s the expectation that the storm track will shift closer to the pole and the dry areas of the subtropics will expand poleward,” said Joel Norris, a climate scientist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego, and the study’s lead author. The work was conducted with scientists at Scripps, the University of California at Riverside, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and Colorado State University. This is the actual study (for as long as it is available) Here is the summary in the Washington Post

gb

gb
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 4:41 pm 
Record hot in Australia, breaking records by 4C. "Unprecedented"

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 14, 2017 9:50 pm 
U.N. Official Reveals Real Reason Behind Warming Scare! Investors Business Daily "At a news conference last week in Brussels, Christiana Figueres, executive secretary of U.N.'s Framework Convention on Climate Change, admitted that the goal of environmental activists is not to save the world from ecological calamity but to destroy capitalism." This isnt news to any of us that know this has been a SCAM from the begging.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 1:11 am 
Backpacker Joe, that is complete and utter BS - the article you cited is one of the worst pieces of (and I hesitate to associate the word with it in any way) journalism that I have ever read. It takes quotations from Christiana Figueres completely out of context and uses them to fuel a childish tirade meant to further the publications agenda. It's a poorly written opinion piece masquerading as news. You would do well to chose to read and share from more reputable and unbiased publications in future. There are 570 pages here in the Global Warming thread filled with hard scientific information proving the reality and severity of climate change. Climate change is not a hoax, it is a clear and present danger that should by now be beyond partisan squabbling.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 7:43 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
the goal of environmental activists is not to save the world from ecological calamity but to destroy capitalism
wow... a sh!tepost of fake news from a source of no news posted by a climate troll. Surprise! poop.gif The admin needs to take away your caps privileges.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 8:31 am 
See, thats the thing. You guys are BLIND to ANYTHING you dont agree with! It doesnt matter what it is. You guys NEED to feel guilty about humanity and how BAD we are! America bad! Capitalism bad! Technology bad. First world status bad. We HAVE to be guilty. All of this GW crap is BS. Its a shame you can see that. In the 70's we were headed to the next ice age. In the late 60's scientists talked about humanity dying because we couldn't feed everyone. This is politically motivated! The data has been constantly manipulated.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 8:52 am 
Quote:
You guys are
I stopped reading at "You guys are...". Sure, let's put everyone you disagree with into a bucket based on some percieved identity... yeah, that's gonna create great conversation.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 8:53 am 
Quote:
the expectation that the storm track will shift closer to the pole
Yet this is directly contradicted by surface observations that show: across almost all mid-latitude old(large sample size) airports, cloud cover, wind speed, and precipitation is not changing. The mid latitude storm tracks are not shifting anywhere.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 15, 2017 9:36 am 
Nobel Laureate Smashes the Global Warming Hoax
Dr William Happer Destroys Climate Change Hysteria in 7 minutes
Climate Scientists Laugh at Global Warming Hysteria
George Carlin on Global Warming
The Great Global Warming Swindle Full Movie
Al Gore - I Was Wrong About Global Warming... Learn About It
Do 97% of Climate Scientists Really Agree?
There is at LEAST as much anti GW information out there, you guys just dont want to see it because you NEED to feel guilty about humanity!