Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 pm 
Ski wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Hawaii is 100% oil generation
So.... the wind turbines are just for show? dizzy.gif
Sorry, It's been a while since I've been there Current data
Quote:
QUICK FACTS In 2015, Hawaii imported 91% of the energy it consumed, mostly as petroleum. With its mild tropical climate, Hawaii had the fourth-lowest per capita energy use in the nation in 2015. The transportation sector accounted for more than half (51%) of Hawaii's total energy demand in 2015, led by jet fuel use. In 2016, Hawaii generated more solar electricity per capita from distributed facilities than any other state, and solar energy from both utility-scale and distributed resources generated 38% of Hawaii's net generation from renewable resources. Hawaii is one of seven states with utility-scale generation from geothermal energy. In 2016, 19% of Hawaii's renewable net electricity generation came from geothermal energy. In 2016, Hawaii had the highest electricity prices in the nation; it is the first state to set a legal deadline for producing 100% of its electricity from renewable energy sources, a target it plans to achieve by 2045. Last Updated: October 19, 2017
Seems their energy mix is rapidly evolving .

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Sorry, It's been a while since I've been there
Me too! rant.gif When you drive from Kahalui to Lahaina on Maui you can see them all along the hills next to the bay. https://www.google.com/maps/@20.7956018,-156.5366818,645a,35y,270h/data=!3m1!1e3 So while it looks like they've made great progress in that regard, the last time I was there they did not have any kind of comprehensive recycling program on Maui and all those glass liquor bottles and plastic drink bottles and all the aluminum cans (except those that homeless haoles fished out of the garbage cans for spare change) all end up in landfills on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. huh.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 pm 
Secretary Zinke Says Climate Change Is Not Responsible for California Wildfires, Blames Environmentalists Because, you know... Ryan Zinke said so. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 8:33 pm 
Lol...^...no kidding. I believe that Global Warming is real, my question is, does human activity cause it for the most part or is it just the Earth going through changes? The Ice Age was obviously a huge global event and mankind had nothing to do with that.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 pm 
Despite what we're hearing from the media there's a lot of evidence that fire severity and occurrence are not actually increasing. Here's one example paper that gives a good summary: http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/371/1696/20150345

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 pm 
That's not making a lot of sense when looking at their graphic (Fig. 3) here Secondly, the paper is looking at wildfire globally, including Mediterranean Europe and Australia, two completely different places with completely different ecosystems and landscape management histories than the Western US. Third, this paper is taking a rather narrow view insofar as the time period studied, which seems to exclude the very recent past; the last decade during which wildfire events in the western US have unquestionably become more destructive in terms of inflicting permanent damage to soils. Granted, in the pre-Columbian era, aboriginal tribes used fire as a landscape management tool on a scale which to the unknowing would be unfathomable. I have pointed this out innumerable times on this site. Those practices stopped as the western US was settled by white Europeans, for the most part ending just after the turn of the 20th Century. I don't base many statements about fire on what I get from "the media", but rather credible sources like Washington State Department of Natural Resources, the National Forest Service, and statements made and articles written by degreed professionals in the field of forest management. What they are telling us is that there are more acres being burned currently than in past decades, and that the severity of the fires during the last couple of decades is causing more permanent damage than fires of the past (in some cases exceeding the damage sustained by pre-Columbian era fire events.) I'm not sure if your post was in response to mine above where I cited the article about Zinke's ill-informed statement to the press, but in any case it should be noted that there is no panacea for the issue of wildfire events in the western US. Suggesting that logging everything is going to take care of the issue is delusional; there aren't enough fallers trained or mills operating to have much of an effect over the short term; the inventory of standing timber exceeds our current ability to process it in short order. While commercial thinning operations have proven to be effective, they are costly and time-consuming, and Congressional appropriations for those activities have been inadequate. (The cited reason for the large fire a few years ago near Yosemite.) Moreover, they can only address a small portion of the landscape - it simply isn't practicable to conduct thinning operations on every acre of public timber lands. To reiterate a statement I made previously: We can look forward to more fires, more frequent fires, and more destructive fires in the future. It will get worse before it gets better. My best wild guess is at least three or four decades (maybe longer) before a point of equilibrium is reached. Just my lousy two cents, of course.

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 6:59 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Lol...^...no kidding. I believe that Global Warming is real, my question is, does human activity cause it for the most part or is it just the Earth going through changes? The Ice Age was obviously a huge global event and mankind had nothing to do with that.
If you are talking about "changes" as in climate, yes the Earth's climate has changed before and those changes have all been as a result of, or exacerbated through feedback loops, by changes in the concentration of CO2 and other greenhouse gases. The graph of the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere I just posted above, but you can find it simply by googling. If you understand the graph then you are in a position of trying to explain why CO2 is indeed increasing at a high rate if not by human cause. What else is plausible? You are left with pixies or fairies. CO2 concentrations can be measured in ice dating back 800,000 years (it is higher now) and by proxies dating back millions of years. A skeptic has doubt but asks questions to seek out answers as does the process of scientific observation. A denier refuses to look at evidence and falls back to conviction - regardless of fact. http://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/how-greenhouse-effect-works.php

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 7:36 am 
Jake Neiffer wrote:
Despite what we're hearing from the media there's a lot of evidence that fire severity and occurrence are not actually increasing. Here's one example paper that gives a good summary: http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/371/1696/20150345
I didn't look at the paper and I don't know if wildfires across the globe are increasing or not - perhaps somewhat. Nor does it make much sense to think so. This is just because the jet stream has loops, the bottoms of which (troughs) have cool, wet weather, and the tops of which (ridges) have dry warmer weather. So while one area of the globe is becoming wet/cool, another is becoming dry and warm/hot. If the jet stream changes shape as it historically has the locations of these wet/cool and warm/dry areas also, of course, change. The problem is as the Arctic warms faster than the rest of the planet (statistically observable), the jet stream winds have been shown to be decreasing (scientific papers) and the jet stream more frequently has great loops that are essentially self perpetuating that cause persistent weather patterns (scientific papers). Rain and cool weather persists in one area and dry weather and warm to hot conditions persist in another (observable). California, and now, apparently we, have the unenviable position of being stuck under an anomalous ridge of high pressure yielding drier than normal (in many places record dry) and warmer/hotter than normal (in many places record hot - the hottest years in California have been the last four, and the drought in the past half decade is the worst in at least a thousand years (scientific papers). It isn't surprising then that fires this year and in the past decade are unusually bad in California (and here) since the size of wildfires has been statistically correlated most closely with fuel aridity (scientific papers). And what is really important is not the number of fire starts but the acreage burnt and the severity of the wild fires in terms of total destruction of forests (very hot and dry). Here is what Wildfire Today has to say about this: Wildfire Today: Statistics Other areas of the globe besides the Western US that have been under anomalous high pressure for extended period in spring and summer and that have had or or having very bad fire seasons include British Columbia (you can find statistics at British Columbia Wildfire Service (government firefighting agency)) https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/about-bcws/wildfire-statistics/wildfire-averages, Siberia - worst wildfires in at least 10,000 years https://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-images-capture-worst-siberian-wildfires-in-10-000-years, and even Sweden (worst fires in 150 years). I am sure there are others. As to climate drought of unprecedented scale look up the SE Australia Climate Initiative Studies - the drought this year has come back as an unprecedented winter drought.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 am 
gb wrote:
If you are talking about "changes" as in climate, yes the Earth's climate has changed before and those changes have all been as a result of, or exacerbated through feedback loops, by changes in the concentration of CO2 and other greenhouse gases. The graph of the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere I just posted above, but you can find it simply by googling. If you understand the graph then you are in a position of trying to explain why CO2 is indeed increasing at a high rate if not by human cause. What else is plausible? You are left with pixies or fairies. CO2 concentrations can be measured in ice dating back 800,000 years (it is higher now) and by proxies dating back millions of years. A skeptic has doubt but asks questions to seek out answers as does the process of scientific observation. A denier refuses to look at evidence and falls back to conviction - regardless of fact. http://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/how-greenhouse-effect-works.php
Well, or the natural process of CO2 rises following temp increases. Not to say humans don't add some, but claiming only humans do isn't supportable. Which facts, derived using standard scientific practice ... without logical fallacies, are the 'deniers' ignoring?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 am 
There is no evidence of any statistically significant change in observed jet stream speed, direction, or precip patterns. Many theories propose minor changes one way or another but the reality is any such change that may or may not be there is not large enough to detect, and thus, is not worth crying about. Its dry during the dry season. Weird.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 am 
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/styles/large/public/2016-07/drought-download1-2016.png The actual data showing no change to us drought conditions with time.

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:49 am 
thunderhead wrote:
There is no evidence of any statistically significant change in observed jet stream speed, direction, or precip patterns. Many theories propose minor changes one way or another but the reality is any such change that may or may not be there is not large enough to detect, and thus, is not worth crying about. Its dry during the dry season. Weird.
Perhaps you have not been keeping up on research but there have been any number of recent research papers that make your first statement a joke. The jet stream is changing as I described above. Here is just one. Try google: "Changes in jet stream", Rossby waves" and even more disconcerting "changes in Atlantic Ocean circulation patterns" for several more studies that detail these changes. Another is changes in the Hadley circulation cited and scientifically documented in the SEACI studies. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180112091209.htm Here is another to the point published in Scientific Reports just last year: Influence of Anthropogenic Climate Change on Planetary Wave Resonance and Extreme Weather Events

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:55 am 
thunderhead wrote:
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/styles/large/public/2016-07/drought-download1-2016.png The actual data showing no change to us drought conditions with time.
wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif Perhaps you understand none of this but drought or wet conditions depend on the location and pattern of the jet stream. Average conditions are meaningless and the atmosphere holds more moisture with >temperature. Are California's drought indexes in the past five years changed? Are ours? And I am talking about spring-summer not winter. If you have contrary data please post it. Or just post a map showing drought conditions across the United States to prove whatever point it is you think you've made. I'm not really interested in your talking points, just studies and data. Oh wait: here is the current map and it is not the same across the continent - what a surprise! http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu And a summary of the California drought - guess it is more than just dry in the summer. Weird people post weird things as you have above. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–2017_California_drought

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 11:28 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
gb wrote:
Well, or the natural process of CO2 rises following temp increases. Not to say humans don't add some, but claiming only humans do isn't supportable.
Well, no. You are dead wrong: CO2 does not lag temperature in climate events Back to pixies or fairies?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 12:43 pm 
Gb the us averaged drought severity is quite relevant as the westerly longwaves you talk about are about of the same size as the 48 states. If they were changing much we would see it. We dont. Furthermore you can break it down by region or even single stations and see no change either. The relevant precip data is already posted. Also the un has released a study showing that us fire activity was much worse 100 years ago and has massively decreased as the forest service got larger and more capable. While we are increasing the planets temperature but we are not having a significant effect on moisture or drought. The data are clear.