Forum Index > Stewardship > Global Warming
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 11280 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Not justified in the slightest. Unnecessary, anti freedom action made mandatory in service of fundamentally flawed ideals....is never justified. What they demand is *itself* waste and damage. They are pursuing the implementation of a quasi-religion, not science. It is not OK to indoctrinate children to push for political ends.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Parked Out
Member
Member


Joined: 18 Sep 2011
Posts: 497 | TRs
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Parked Out
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 8:21 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
drm wrote:
Concerns of young protesters are justified...

Blah blah blah.


In the meantime...

US decarbonization
US decarbonization

https://rogerpielkejr.com/2019/04/15/projected-and-implied-us-decarbonization-rates/

--------------
John
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 11280 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 8:23 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
The fact all warming enthusiasts walk past because it's uncomfortable....it's their values demonstrated in their actions and choices in their personal lives, the things they choose when they place their comfort or convenience over the earth, not their mere words, which drive what they complain about.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 11280 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 8:44 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Justice for unlawfully sacked Peter Ridd. He was terminated by Jame Cook University for challenging colleagues catastrophic claims about the Barrier Reef and had his employment, research, and free speech rights mangled as they attempted to shut him down and shut him up.

As one of the many small donors to his legal defense fund, I am thrilled at his vindication over the small minded administrative thugs, the supposedly scientific anti science factions at his University, and those who think any such methods are justified because they are so certain they're saving the Earth it's OK to violate principles of scientific openness, free speech, and more.

Climate skeptic scientist Peter Ridd wins big!

Quote:

In a huge victory for climate skeptics everywhere, Judge Salvatore Vasta finds all findings made by James Cook University, including his sacking, were all unlawful.

Quote:
In May 2018, after an academic career of more than 30 years, Peter had his employment terminated as a professor of physics at James Cook University in Townsville, Australia. Peter had spoken against the accepted orthodoxy that climate change was ‘killing’ the Great Barrier Reef.

Quote:
There’s some absolute rubbish being spoken about the reef and people’s livelihoods are being put in jeopardy. If nobody will stand up, then this is just going to go on and on and on. It has to be stopped.



--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
BigBrunyon
Member
Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2015
Posts: 600 | TRs
Location: the fitness gyms
BigBrunyon
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:11 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat wrote:
Not justified in the slightest. Unnecessary, anti freedom action made mandatory in service of fundamentally flawed ideals....is never justified. What they demand is *itself* waste and damage. They are pursuing the implementation of a quasi-religion, not science. It is not OK to indoctrinate children to push for political ends.

you can tell those guys are extremely dumb. sad that a whole life goes by and there they sit, a few months from their death beds, just as ignorant as they were in pre school.

--------------
i ALWAYS camp at the upper lake!
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
drm
Member
Member


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1311 | TRs
Location: The Dalles, OR
drm
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:25 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Not sure what point you were making by posting Pielke's most recent blog, but his previous one included this:

  • To hit -80% CO2 by 2050 requires -6.8%/year (assuming 2.0% GDP growth/year)
  • Democrats have done better than Republicans [referring to presidents]
  • Trump is the worst (with two years of data so far)
  • None have been remotely close to rate needed for deep decarbonization
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 11280 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
BigBrunyon wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Not justified in the slightest. Unnecessary, anti freedom action made mandatory in service of fundamentally flawed ideals....is never justified. What they demand is *itself* waste and damage. They are pursuing the implementation of a quasi-religion, not science. It is not OK to indoctrinate children to push for political ends.

you can tell those guys are extremely dumb. sad that a whole life goes by and there they sit, a few months from their death beds, just as ignorant as they were in pre school.

That's nice.

You cannot falsify their arguments, yet you 'know' they're dumb because what they argue doesn't fit your beliefs. When your primary go to is ad homs not science, there's a problem in your ideas you should be examining....

If the goal is science, not nonscience, and that assumes the goal is empirical truth, not mere winning via sophistry.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 11280 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 12:37 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
drm wrote:
Not sure what point you were making by posting Pielke's most recent blog, but his previous one included this:

  • To hit -80% CO2 by 2050 requires -6.8%/year (assuming 2.0% GDP growth/year)
  • Democrats have done better than Republicans [referring to presidents]
  • Trump is the worst (with two years of data so far)
  • None have been remotely close to rate needed for deep decarbonization

If you miss the obvious point it would seem to be because you don't want to recognize it. The amounts of money, time and resources *already* committed to this utter fiasco and fully intentional subversion of actual science haven't even made a dent in the claimed requirement for action.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 6693 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
RandyHiker
  Top

Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 3:38 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat wrote:
fully intentional subversion of actual science

Last time I checked it was the Koch Bros funded scientists that were the only ones asserting that human activities had no relationship with changes in climate observations or that no changes are occurring. They are roughly 3% of  climate scientists, with 97% finding evidence that human CO2 emissions are affecting the climate.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 11280 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 16, 2019 3:40 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
That is good example of intentionally using what is not scientific evidence in order to push a claim.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
drm
Member
Member


Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Posts: 1311 | TRs
Location: The Dalles, OR
drm
  Top

Member
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker wrote:
Last time I checked it was the Koch Bros . . .

Last time I checked, Heartland (the posted video) was a joke. I didn't know they still existed or if so, that anybody paid attention to such a bad joke. For the most part the country has moved on from the hoax/fake nonsense. My Republican representative in the House acknowledges that Global Warming is caused by humans and says he has a better solution than the Green New Deal. That, debates over energy sources, etc, is what we should be - and finally are - debating.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 11280 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostWed Apr 17, 2019 2:51 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Last time I checked, ad hom arguments are still..... not science. As usual, a flurry of logical fallacy arguments.

Nor is 'acknowledging' claims which rely on not science. You can 'move on' from arguments you don't like or agree with all you like, but if you can't falsify them, you're merely acting upon something akin to religion.

Falsify the arguments, that's all that's necessary.

There's a reason warming enthusiasts are forced to consistently rely on logical fallacies, or 'moving on', or 'consensus'. The interesting thing is how few are willing to face the facts about having only logical fallacies in their corner.

This isn't difficult. If you claim to have science in your corner and you actually do, you should not be reduced to continual logical fallacies in defending it.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
thunderhead
Member
Member


Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 934 | TRs

thunderhead
  Top

Member
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 10:25 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Quote:
Concerns of young protesters are justified...


ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ahahahah

ahahahahahahahahahaha

I guess when you can't win on evidence, you find a crying child.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 11280 | TRs
Location: Lyle, WA
MtnGoat
  Top

Member
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 10:31 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
It's so super scientific they can't even engage with the factual criticisms of the lack of rigor in the arguments unique to AGW claims, because the arguments doing so will expose the ....lack of rigor.

Time for some more ad homs and appeals to authority from folks not qualified to judge experts, unless they don't like the arguments of an expert, at which time they become qualified.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
CC
cascade curmudgeon



Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 500 | TRs

CC
  Top

cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Apr 18, 2019 12:32 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat wrote:
They are pursuing the implementation of a quasi-religion, not science.

So sayeth the Right Reverend Goat of The Church of Ayn.

Great video from Heartland though, they are always good for a laugh.  I especially liked the upclose CO2 meter.  It would have been way better in 3D though.

--------------
No matter how cynical you become, it's not enough to keep up.  Jane Wagner/Lily Tomlin
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Stewardship > Global Warming
  Happy Birthday Hiker Mama, ReubenD!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy