Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 12, 2019 10:18 pm 
Hardly. I'm not much interested in politics or news. To believe the left is using AGW as a tool to reallocate wealth or whatever the conspiracy might be I find almost comical, but I've never been much for conspiracy theories. On the other hand the blissful ignorance on the extreme right is more telling and concerning.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 5:21 am 
Parked Out wrote:
That's probably because you get 99.9% of your climate change information through left-leaning mainstream media.
One of the great propaganda victories of the late 20th and 21st centuries is convincing huge numbers people that the "mainstream media" is leftist. MSNBC , CNN, The New York Times, The Washington Post, etc are large corporations intent on making a profit and protecting their governing board's financial interests. I mean you don't really believe that Washington Post, owned and controlled largely by Jeff Bezos is going publish opinion pieces and articles favoring a return to the federal tax rates of the 1950's or anything advocating for the unionization of Amazon warehouse workers?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 7:30 am 
Randy wrote:
One of the great propaganda victories of the late 20th and 21st centuries is convincing huge numbers people that the "mainstream media" is leftist.
^ NBC was for years owned by General Electric, one of the nation's largest defense contractors - hardly what one would consider "leftist". But hey, people still believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy too.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 7:43 am 
Tom wrote:
To believe the left is using AGW as a tool to reallocate wealth or whatever the conspiracy might be I find almost comical, but I've never been much for conspiracy theories.
I wouldn't quite call it a conspiracy when they come right out and tell you. Here's the Guardian's George Monbiot:

John
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 7:47 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
One of the great propaganda victories of the late 20th and 21st centuries is convincing huge numbers people that the "mainstream media" is leftist.
Lol. Whatever you say, Randy. You'll never poke your head outside the bubble.
Political bias by profession

John
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 am 
Ski wrote:
NBC was for years owned by General Electric, one of the nation's largest defense contractors - hardly what one would consider "leftist".
I guess that's why Rachel Maddow and Tucker Carlson see eye-to-eye on political issues..? Yeah, somebody definitely believes in the Tooth Fairy.

John
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 am 
Randyhiker, tom, skeptical science can have some things correct and still be trash. Im sure chernobyl had some properly engineered parts too. Surely some parts of rms titanic worked well. Anyway i see a sudden proliferation of journalism links, which are almost always trash no matter which side of the political spectrum they belong to. It would be wise for anyone debating the subject to stick to legitimate sources of scientific data... NCDC, USGS, peer reviewed papers, etc. If you lack the intelligence to comprehend the data yourself, at least fall back on experts... people with careers in weather and physics and fluid mechanics and atmospheric science, not a couple bloggers or news reporters.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 10:33 am 
Parked Out wrote:
Yeah, somebody definitely believes in the Tooth Fairy.
There are those who claim climate change isn't real.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 am 
thunderhead wrote:
"...which are almost always trash no matter which side of the political spectrum they belong to."
all news in times of war is propaganda.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Randyhiker, tom, skeptical science can have some things correct
Heck, even you can have some things correct before you try to cherry pick for your agenda...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 11:35 am 
Parked Out wrote:
Tom wrote:
To believe the left is using AGW as a tool to reallocate wealth or whatever the conspiracy might be I find almost comical, but I've never been much for conspiracy theories.
I wouldn't quite call it a conspiracy when they come right out and tell you. Here's the Guardian's George Monbiot:
You can find extremists on every issue making statements that provide for good conspiracy theory fodder. This does not make for a conspiracy. I don't believe he is saying: goal: overthrow capitalism how: exaggerate AGW. He seems to believe unbuffered capitalism is destroying the planet and in his solution capitalism gets overthrown. I don't see any specifics provided. Is it more a figure of speech or actual regime change? If the latter, what does it even mean? If it's a real conspiracy I would think we'd have more details by now. Or would that be the new green deal to you? Will that overthrow capitalism or is it just the first step?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 12:22 pm 
Parked Out wrote:
Lol. Whatever you say, Randy. You'll never poke your head outside the bubble.
As someone that reads a range of sources: FoxNews, Al Jazeera, HAARETZ, NYT , Mumbai Mirror and more, yeah I'm the one in an echo chamber. https://slate.com/technology/2017/11/why-conservatives-are-more-susceptible-to-believing-in-lies.html

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 11:31 pm 
The best source always seems to be the one you're agreeing with the most. That's how it always is for me at least.

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 8:43 am 
Tom wrote:
You can find extremists on every issue making statements that provide for good conspiracy theory fodder.
Well I'm encouraged that you refer to George Monbiot as an extremist. He seems to me about middle of the road for progressives these days but I'm no expert. Most if not all of what you read in The Guardian on climate reflects his worldview.
Tom wrote:
This does not make for a conspiracy. I don't believe he is saying: goal: overthrow capitalism how: exaggerate AGW.
You're the one calling it a conspiracy and then arguing against conspiracies, but traditionally doesn't that term imply some sort of secret plotting? I'm just pointing out what they're saying in public. You said earlier, "To believe the left is using AGW as a tool to reallocate wealth or whatever the conspiracy might be I find almost comical..." Did you catch AOC's earlier statement that the world's going to end in 12 years if we don't stop climate change? And have you seen her little Green New Deal video? Any hints at reallocating wealth in there?

John
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostSun Jul 14, 2019 8:51 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
As someone that reads a range of sources: FoxNews, Al Jazeera, HAARETZ, NYT , Mumbai Mirror and more, yeah I'm the one in an echo chamber.
If the sources you expose yourself to lead you to think that MSNBC is politically neutral then yeah you're the one in the echo chamber. Pew Study Finds MSNBC the Most Opinionated Cable News Channel By Far "If you're like most cable news viewers, you probably think the channel you favor has a monopoly on the facts and the other ones are nothing more than a bunch of ranting. In fact, which cable network is the most opinionated is not a matter of opinion. It's MSNBC." https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2013/03/18/pew-study-finds-msnbc-the-most-opinionated-cable-news-channel-by-far/#404b09d65f8c https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/02/26/msnbc-shakes-up-programming-strategy/msnbc2-25-2015/

John