Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am 
Decoupling EPA grant recipients from the board making decisions which the EPA acts on. In one case, 86% of board members were EPA grant recipients. I know, they're white robed zen exemplars free of the troublesome weaknesses of all other humans. That's why they're appointed interpreters of the runes who cannot be questioned by the little people. Milloy’s 2012 research demonstrated that six of the seven CASAC members at the time had received or were still receiving research grant funding totaling nearly $80 million.
Quote:
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt announced Tuesday he planned to curtail the practice of distributing research grants to scientists appointed to the agency’s scientific advisory boards to improve their “independence and transparency and objectivity.”
Quote:
“If we have individuals who are on those boards receiving money from the agency, sometimes, to the tune of tens of millions of dollars, that calls into question the independence of the recommendations that come our way,” Pruitt said, speaking at a Heritage Foundation event. “Next week, I will issue a directive that addresses that, to ensure the independence and transparency and objectivity with respect to the scientific advice that we are getting at the agency.”

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 3:39 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I don’t believe in conspiracies of silence except when it comes to Harvey Weinstein and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. For some time, weather enthusiasts have been noticing rapid temperature fluctuations at the ‘latest observations’ page at the Bureau’s website. For example, Peter Cornish, a retired hydrologist, wrote to the Bureau on 17 December 2012 asking whether the 1.5 degrees Celsius drop in temperature in the space of one minute at Sydney’s Observatory Hill, just the day before, could be a quirk of the new electronic temperature sensors. Ken Stewart, a retired school principal, requested temperature data for Hervey Bay after noticing a 2.1 degrees Celsius temperature change in the space of one minute on 22 February 2017. In both cases, the Bureau assured these ‘amateurs’ that they didn’t understand what they were noticing. In the case of Dr Cornish, he was referred to a Bureau report that makes reference to international studies, which explains how measurements from the fast responding electronic sensors are made comparable with measurements from the more inert mercury thermometers by averaging over at least one minute – except the Bureau does not actually average any of the measurements recorded from its custom-built sensors.
I didn't write any of that. Typo or misrepresentation?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 3:44 pm 
Sorry about that, fixed. My bad!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 4:28 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Sorry about that, fixed. My bad!
OKY DOKE!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 19, 2017 6:15 pm 
Ok this is just too much fun to pass up. Yes, it's real. Hawking Climate Toothpaste.
I wonder if this is what he used to scrub the Medieval warm out....

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:14 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:33 pm 

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:48 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Conveniently ignored. Wattsupwiththat isn't a reliable source of information either, MtnGoat. Anthony is an idiot, simple as that lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Pull out your next reference, I'm loving it! A pro EPA/Pruitt viewpoint in any forum remotely related to hiking, so bizarre!
Doppelganger wrote:
Only if you pick the definition of consensus that suits you. I accept that it can have either meaning: an assessment of collective opinion, versus an assessment of general agreement regardless of the subject matter - fact or opinion.
Yes, conveniently ignored...how apt! You don't like the source but cannot falsify the information. An example of your judgement in operation. Neither meaning of consensus gets you any further...neither are evidence of anything but demographic measurements, not what is actually true about an objective, empirical process or fact in nature.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 12:50 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Who would you trust? Michael Mann: Education: A.B. applied mathematics and physics (1989), MS physics (1991), MPhil physics (1991), MPhil geology (1993), PhD geology & geophysics (1998)[1] Known for: Temperature record of the past 1000 years, Hockey stick graph, Lead author on the IPCC Third Assessment Report Awards: Philip M. Orville Prize (1997), NOAA Outstanding Scientific Publication (2002), AAG John Russell Mather Paper of the Year (2006), American Geophysical Union Fellow (2012), 2012 Hans Oeschger Medal, 2017 Stephen H. Schneider Award for Outstanding Science Communication Anthony Watts: Education: Dropped out of college (won't talk about it either!) Known for: Viewpoints on climate change Awards: Feel free to add any if you find them
I trust logic and process, not personalities. I look at arguments and their falsifications, or lack thereof. You're busy attacking a source while avoiding falsifying the arguments, the classic ad hom logical fallacy. Your arguments feature a lot of logical fallacies. Is *that* trustworthy? hockeygrin.gif

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:08 pm 

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:28 pm 
Mann has certainly reached some pretty false conclusions. That clown has never seen a gust of wind he hasn't immediately blamed on world-ending global warming, and his textbook is full of mistakes. To be fair, I have never heard of Watts.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:35 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
Yes, conveniently ignored...how apt! You don't like the source but cannot falsify the information. An example of your judgement in operation.
No need for falsification on my part, your heroes have done the work already! I just enjoy your squirming. Have fun out there, I guess we know we're not going to convince each other of anything. Enjoy the current administration while it lasts, the backlash will be severe and I don't think the ride's going to be any fun for the last few skeptics.
More claims, no evidence. Don't project onto me, my mind can be changed...by evidence and logic following the letter of proper method. Not evidence which isn't, teetering atop correlation = causation and the continual reliance on logical flaws. Your methods so far indicate the problem with change is on your part. An admission your mind is not changeable indicates the presence of dogma, in its literal sense. That was a telling argument. You argued about trust earlier and presented credential list for Mann.. Your convenience, as we know now a key component of your judgment, led to leaving one of his claimed credentials out...but then he had to take it back too. His Nobel claims. He's a liar. https://johnosullivan.wordpress.com/2012/10/28/michael-mann-retracts-false-nobel-prize-claims-in-humiliating-climbdown/ Why does your *examplar* for credentials and trust stoop to lying about his credentials? Trust indeed. Good example but not in the way you intended. And you fell into it because of your methods. You only read what's convienient, and won't change your mind, after all. Self admitted, no less.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:44 pm 
And what 'backlash' can we expect for removing people getting grants from boards making determinations relevant to the agency granting them monies? Putting blatant conflicts of interest back *into* what is supposed to be a process governed by science?

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:46 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
The only truths in this thread lie in the mathematics. Not the stuff we massaged. That's great that people have opinions, but when the results are destructive I wish those people would stop, think, and not take the rest of us down with them. Shrug.
Exactly. If MG were a rare goat he would be just pathetic and amusing, in a case-study sort of way. But the fact that he is representative of a large segment of the US population is not at all amusing.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm 
Massive waste for a problem which isn't, is destructive Truths can be in mathematics, but the mathematics must be *correct*, and falsifiable when applied to reality I know details get in the way, but reality doesn't care how inconvenient its infinite detail is. Only people trying to evade that their claims cannot close the loop.