Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Global Warming
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 9:19 am 
More 'reasoning' based on logical fallacies. The constant, pretty much, for many warming enthusiasts. Further, it appears you are using race and sex as some kind of determinant for judgments on empirical issues related to neither. Is this an acceptable methodology for you? You don't need govt action to curb your own CO2 emissions to the level you claim necessary. You just don't want to, and this is proven by your actions. Multiply this times the hundreds of millions of your fellow travelers, and we get what we see. Personal inaction while you wait for the use of someone else to make fulfillment of your claimed values easier on....you.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 pm 
Quote:
You don't need govt action to curb your own CO2 emissions to the level you claim necessary. You just don't want to, and this is proven by your actions.
True, I don't. My carbon footprint is quite low. But when one has a distaste for communal action as you do, it limits action. I've been trying to convince all my friends who own coal-fired power plants to shut them down.

don't believe everything you think
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 1:52 pm 
RayD wrote:
True, I don't. My carbon footprint is quite low. But when one has a distaste for communal action as you do, it limits action. I've been trying to convince all my friends who own coal-fired power plants to shut them down.
Yes, my distaste for the use of innocent people's lives and choices by force does limit the action of doing so. I don't believe in govt as crutch to aid folks who won't live their own values till someone else forces them to, or who want to ease the dictates of their own ideals by using other people. Limiting 'actions' of such a nature is a good thing. But my distaste for that doesn't limit your ability to pursue your own ends with your choices. Your friends who use coal generated power can choose not to, but then that would mean placing the earth above their own comfort. You have no need to convince plant owners to shut down, losing customers does that just fine You say you are low carbon footprint. It it the net zero demanded? Does your footprint meet the standards of any 'communal' effort you have backed?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 9:26 pm 
Only 7 more posts to go until this thread hits 10,000 posts! eek.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 9:38 pm 
Had you put a globe out in the sun today, it would definitely be warm. My thermometer topped out at 107 today.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 7:07 am 
Just a reminder to enjoy the luxury of worrying about climate change. It's a luxury those in low HDI countries would probably be happy to have.
Climate change action ranked
Climate change action ranked
http://data.myworld2015.org/

John
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 am 
Quote:
“We don’t want to tell people what to eat,” says Hans-Otto Pörtner, an ecologist who co-chairs the IPCC’s working group on impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. “But it would indeed be beneficial, for both climate and human health, if people in many rich countries consumed less meat, and if politics would create appropriate incentives to that effect.”
But there is zero doubt you *will* tell them what to eat, or back govts doing so, regardless of what you claim to want to do....if given the power to do so. There is no area of life outside the scope of the climate busybodies.

Gil

Gil
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm 
When the planet fries because of climate change, we won't be worried about education, jobs, or health. Problems solved!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 5:25 pm 
Gil wrote:
When the planet fries because of climate change, we won't be worried about education, jobs, or health. Problems solved!
Hmm.... any theories then on why the nearly 10 million people polled by the UN ranked 'action on climate change' 16th out of 16?

John
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 pm 
Wow, I think the wheels are finally coming off the renewable-energy bus. New Michael Moore-backed doc tackles alternative energy What if alternative energy isn’t all it’s cracked up to be? That’s the provocative question explored in the documentary “Planet of the Humans,” which is backed and promoted by filmmaker Michael Moore and directed by one of his longtime collaborators. It premiered last week at his Traverse City Film Festival. The film, which does not yet have distribution, is a low-budget but piercing examination of what the filmmakers say are the false promises of the environmental movement and why we’re still “addicted” to fossil fuels. Director Jeff Gibbs takes on electric cars, solar panels, windmills, biomass, biofuel, leading environmentalist groups like the Sierra Club, and even figures from Al Gore and Van Jones, who served as Barack Obama’s special adviser for green jobs, to 350.org leader Bill McKibben, a leading environmentalist and advocate for grassroots climate change movements. Gibbs, who produced Moore’s “Bowling for Columbine” and “Fahrenheit 9/11,” didn’t set out to take on the environmental movement. He said he wanted to know why things weren’t getting better. But when he started pulling on the thread, he and Moore said they were shocked to find how inextricably entangled alternative energy is with coal and natural gas, since they say everything from wind turbines to electric car charging stations are tethered to the grid, and even how the Koch brothers are tied to solar panel production through their glass production business. “It turned out the wakeup call was about our own side,” Gibbs said in a phone interview. “It was kind of crushing to discover that the things I believed in weren’t real, first of all, and then to discover not only are the solar panels and wind turbines not going to save us … but (also) that there is this whole dark side of the corporate money … It dawned on me that these technologies were just another profit center.” Both know the film is going to be a “tough pill to swallow.” It was a difficult eye-opener for them as well... https://www.weareiowa.com/news/national-news/new-michael-moore-backed-doc-tackles-alternative-energy/

John
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 5:40 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Quote:
“We don’t want to tell people what to eat,” says Hans-Otto Pörtner, an ecologist who co-chairs the IPCC’s working group on impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. “But it would indeed be beneficial, for both climate and human health, if people in many rich countries consumed less meat, and if politics would create appropriate incentives to that effect.”
But there is zero doubt you *will* tell them what to eat, or back govts doing so, regardless of what you claim to want to do....if given the power to do so. There is no area of life outside the scope of the climate busybodies.
The Authoritarian Left... these people don't really want to debate ideas with you, they just want to make you quietly disappear in the night. Sorry guys, didn't mean to hog #10,000 here but the wife isn't home tonight so it's just me and this gin gimlet and NWHikers...

John
Parked Out

Parked Out
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 5:49 pm 
...and I'll be the first to admit that I did save a screenshot of the blessed event...
NWHikers #10,000
NWHikers #10,000

John
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 6:00 pm 
Quantity not quality.

Parked Out

Parked Out
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 pm 
Tom wrote:
Quantity not quality.
Lol. How many of those 10,000 posts were yours, Tom? I'd be more than happy to be wrong here so please correct me, but you strike me as one of those people who just has a seething hatred of people on the political right. I've never met you in person so I hope I'm wrong and it's just your online persona. Full disclosure: I've been consistently left-of-center politically for many years according to these little online tests like My Political Compass. But I can't relate much at all to the Left of today.
My political compass 1-4-2019
My political compass 1-4-2019
https://www.politicalcompass.org/

John
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 08, 2019 8:39 pm 
Here's the top 50 in posts. Looks like I cracked the top 25. I wasn't sure which of the most vocal deniers would take first or second. Perhaps Mtn Dog would take the prize if we consolidated all threads. 1 MtnGoat (1327) 2 Mtn Dog (1285) 3 joker (1004) 4 bopack (805) 5 straydog (622) 6 RandyHiker (378) 7 gb (332) 8 drm (265) 9 thunderhead (260) 10 Malachai Constant (248) 11 weatherman (245) 12 ejain (235) 13 Parked Out (196) 14 Scrooge (176) 15 DIYSteve (171) 16 pimaCanyon (163) 17 Cohokiller (157) 18 whistlingmarmot (143) 19 Mongo (121) 20 Ski (110) 21 WANative (103) 22 Blue Dome (99) 23 Tom (95) 24 Tvashtar (84) 25 Backpacker Joe (82) 26 RayD (73) 27 Klapton (68) 28 CC (64) 29 cefire (64) 30 MadCapLaughs (53) 31 Doppelganger (52) 32 Gil (44) 33 The Angry Hiker (44) 34 Daryl (44) 35 Jake Neiffer (41) 36 she hikes in beauty (40) 37 albrightmd (37) 38 touron (36) 39 BeyondLost (36) 40 NacMacFeegle (35) 41 Anna Mae (29) 42 Slugman (27) 43 rasbo (23) 44 Schenk (19) 45 CHECKTHISOUT (18) 46 kleet (15) 47 Sculpin (15) 48 Logbear (14) 49 Anne Elk (13) 50 Wastral (13) 51 onemoremile (13)